Over - reading

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

fontana

Over - reading

Postby fontana » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:32 pm

I've noticed BMW speedo's are particularly bad for this.
Every one I've had was over - reading.
The worst was a K1100RS which was a reading good 10mph under out from 70mph.
My current car over reads by 2/3moh, and my Yamaha Thunderace is pretty much bang on.
However my R1100RS is a reading a consistent 6mph over from 30mph all the way up.
I'm using GPS to compare, which I assume is the most accurate way of gauging speed.

Al

Postby Al » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:34 pm

Look on the bright side, you shouldn`t get done for speeding,
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

fontana

Postby fontana » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:42 pm

Al wrote:Look on the bright side, you shouldn`t get done for speeding,

Eh
:?
If I'm showing a ton on my 1100RS, that's still 94mph
I believe pod would consider that a viable stop

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:51 pm

fontana wrote:

Eh

Do you do that everywhere then....? :lol:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

fontana

Postby fontana » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:09 pm

milleplod wrote:
fontana wrote:

Eh

Do you do that everywhere then....? :lol:

Pete

Trying to start an argument again.

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:23 pm

Do lighten up Fontana! I meant that you might get saved from a ticket at lower speeds, because of your over-reading speedo, that's all. :roll:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

fontana

Postby fontana » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:50 pm

milleplod wrote:Do lighten up Fontana! I meant that you might get saved from a ticket at lower speeds, because of your over-reading speedo, that's all. :roll:

Pete

Erm
You could have just said that

Herb

Postby Herb » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:00 pm

Speedos are allowed by law to over-read, but not under read. I can't remember if it was law or a guideline, but I seem to remember that max allowable over-read was 7%.

GPS speed is pretty accurate, whereas your speedo has to be designed to allow for different tyres, tread depths, pressures etc, all of which can have a cumulative effect.

10mph at 70 is a lot, but I'm not that surprised. My old Ducati was pretty poor too. Thinking about it, there are probably more variables that could affect the reading on a motorbike, with allowance for tyre sizes, profiles and the fact the effective radius changes as you corner that would have to be designed into a mechanical system.
Last edited by Herb on Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:06 pm

At an indicated 30, my ST is doing an actual 27....as confirmed by a mate with his LTI 20/20! :D

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

fontana

Postby fontana » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:05 pm

Herb wrote:Speedos are allowed by law to over-read, but not under read. I can't remember if it was law or a guideline, but I seem to remember that max allowable over-read was 7%.

GPS speed is pretty accurate, whereas your speedo has to be designed to allow for different tyres, tread depths, pressures etc, all of which can have a cumulative effect.

10mph at 70 is a lot, but I'm not that surprised. My old Ducati was pretty poor too. Thinking about it, there are probably more variables that could affect the reading on a motorbike, with allowance for tyre sizes, profiles and the fact the effective radius changes as you corner that would have to be designed into a mechanical system.

Great answer
Cheers for that
:salute:

Tapio

Postby Tapio » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:24 pm

Herb wrote:Speedos are allowed by law to over-read, but not under read. I can't remember if it was law or a guideline, but I seem to remember that max allowable over-read was 7%.

In fact, I think there’s a EU law that says that it’s mandatory for speedos to be a little bit on the over-read side of true speed.
Haven’t checked my bikes, but the car I had earlier (M-B E430) showed ca 3 km/h too much regardless of speed. It was clear that it had a built-in over-read feature.
R1100S '04
K100RS '90
GSX1100 (1327cc) '81
Lada Niva '12
CCDV '72

Pete.

Postby Pete. » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:32 pm

It's type-approval - 10% over 0% under. There has to be a tolerance because different tyre profiles/pressures/states of wear means that there will always be a possibility of variation from new. That tolerance can't be 'under' obviously or you could be speeding in the belief that you're observing the law, so they allow for 10% over.

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:42 pm

Up to 10% optimistic is average but Enfields seem to be consistently in the 20% optimistic bracket. It always makes me smile when I hear a new Enfield owner suggesting that their pride and joy can "cruise" at 70mph :shock:

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

fontana

Postby fontana » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:54 pm

nab 301 wrote:Up to 10% optimistic is average but Enfields seem to be consistently in the 20% optimistic bracket. It always makes me smile when I hear a new Enfield owner suggesting that their pride and joy can "cruise" at 70mph :shock:

I had a K1100RS that was under by 10mph at 70.
It took me a while for the penny to drop.
The old K bikes are quite noisy, and do feel like they're going faster than they actually are.
I couldn't understand why all of a sudden I was spending most of my motorway time in the loser lane being overtaken by pretty much everything.

Return to “Boxerbanter”