boxerscott

dct anyone?

Postby boxerscott » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:18 pm

Looks a class act. Dunno why that gent is wearing a tea towel

Liked this too,Image

Moto Live yesterday.

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

David_S_Walker

Postby David_S_Walker » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:38 pm

Hello,

Secretly (From this forum :D) I have bought a new Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer Highlander T-DCT with all the toys for my commute into London

My left foot doesn't work as well as it used to - The R1200s with the quick shift is OK thankfully - so this or a BMW Scooter was the choice. I rode a demo and was sold on it. It goes well so after 3 weeks of ownership I am wondering why I need a manual motorcycle anymore. It is that good. Build quality seems up there as well. I still though find myself reaching for the non existent clutch lever when coming to a halt though!

I am very pleased with it and the dealer (Doble in Coulsdon, Surrey) who put together a great deal and were vary patient and not at all pushy.

So far so good.

Best regards,

David
The Hokey Cokey. What if that is what life is all about?
BMW R1200S-2006 with much carbon,PCIII & Schnitzer,
Subaru Outback 3.0 R N 2006 and an Abarth 595 MTA 180 Competizione Convertible

Blackal

Re: dct anyone?

Postby Blackal » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:25 am

boxerscott wrote:

Liked this too,Image

Chris

Check out the hipster with the Guzzi shirt! :shock:

Al :)
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

fontana

Re: dct anyone?

Postby fontana » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:24 pm

boxerscott wrote:Liked this too

I had a V7 Racer when they first came out.
Nice bike, but I had major problems with the fuel tank.
It had a sort of chrome finish which very quickly started peeling.
I got through three tanks under warranty, before Piaggio accepted there was a problem and switched from plastic to steel.
The issue was the expansion of the plastic tanks under the heat of the engine.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:36 pm

I am thinking plastic tanks were not a good idea at all. It seems that all makes have had problems with them, expandable indeed. I fear for my Ducati, keep it in shade wherever possible and leave it low on fuel when in garage. Forums report that ethanol usage in fuel (particularly in USA) and high temperatures are the two main factors. Ducati pannis now have metal tanks.

back to topic, Yamaha fitted dct to the FJR and it did not sell well initially, it may be another abs thing, taking time for riders to get familiar and confident with it. It appears better than the "quickshifter" compromise. I am sure Amanda would like me to get seamless shifting :oops:

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

fontana

Postby fontana » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:48 pm

For me the added complexity would be worrying.
I don't understand how it works.
Apparently, when your in one gear, the next gear is spinning and waiting to be engaged.
Something like that.
Gulp.
So I wonder if a clutch change will be an easy DIY job
:shock:

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:01 am

I do not understand the complexities of it but I guess they are doubled! come to think of it a boxer clutch ain`t an easy fix!

Honda UK guy was emphatic about how brilliant this system is.
Fiat Panda.

fontana

Postby fontana » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:17 pm

boxerscott wrote:Honda UK guy was emphatic about how brilliant this system is.

Well he would be wouldn't he
:lol:
In all seriousness though, I have heard very good reports of this system and whilst it is more sophisticated than anything that's gone before, and (probably) reliable - alternative transmissions have been done to death over the years, and have never really found favour.
What we are talking about here is in essence, and auto box with manual override.
The only thing I have ridden remotely like it, was an Aprillia Mana which had a CVT type transmission, with a manual override that could be operated by either a paddle type change on the handlebar, or a foot gear change.
To start with I found it to be a lot of fun, pinning the throttle back and going up the gears with the paddle change without having to throttle off.
Seamless and pretty damned quick.
My friend was following me on an FJR1300 and he was seriously impressed with it's straight line performance.
The Mana bombed but they did have reliability issues.
I'm sure if anyone can make a commercial success out of it, it's Honda.

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:40 pm

My concern would be if I was buying the bike at, say, 3+ years old....which is the point at which a lot of buyers are interested. 'New' technology, out of warranty. Not everybody can afford. or even wants, to buy brand new bikes, and I'm not convinced that manufacturers, Honda and BMW included, are committed to producing 'long-life' products any more - they want buyers who swap every couple of years on a PCP. If they had faith in their product, they'd put much longer warranties on them.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:53 am

Very good point. So as mature riders are we sceptical about new technologies or is it distrust of new legislation, Euro 4 will certainly put up the cost of a new tech laden bike. These bikes may be rewarding to ride but the fear for me is cost in use.

There are bargains out there with the new models coming in :)
Fiat Panda.

slparry

Postby slparry » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:07 pm

Motorcyclists as a buying group have always been a little sceptical and conservative.

Years ago it was the gnashing of teeth at electric starters/four cylinders/FI/water cooling/ ABS etc etc :D

I for one don't miss choke levers, manual advance retard, kickstarting big engines etc :D
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

fontana

Postby fontana » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:23 pm

slparry wrote:Motorcyclists as a buying group have always been a little sceptical and conservative.D

Which is why Yamaha were very brave to try a fork alternative.
It was a complete flop, but I love mine
:D
[url
Last edited by fontana on Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:28 pm

Kin`ell that is a rarity, it looks mint.

Nice one :)
Fiat Panda.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:32 pm

Yowsas! That GTS is a peach. 8)

I seem to remember Performance Bikes raced a modified one many moons ago. I'm sure the late, great John Robinson had a hand in its development.

SP250

Postby SP250 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:45 pm

Steve Linsdell from Flitwick motorcycles raced one on the IOM
John M

Return to “Boxerbanter”