Bit chilly but.....

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Humbug

Bit chilly but.....

Postby Humbug » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:55 am

Just riding down the A1 this morning from Nottingham to sarf lundun and have got as far as Cambridge services without seeing a single bike either north or southbound. What's going on?
10 KTM RC8

fontana

Re: Bit chilly but.....

Postby fontana » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:39 pm

Sshhhhhh
Part of the reason I enjoy winter riding is because most of summer only poseurs are where they belong.
In their cars.
:lol:

Herb

Postby Herb » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:36 pm

I was driving my car to work this morning, listening to radio 2 and I didn't see any bikers this morning either. They really are a soft bunch.

I must admit, driving the car at this time of year can be problematic and I wish I was on the bike. I find the heated seat can get a bit warm, the heater fan can be a bit loud and sometimes I find radio 2 play too many of the same tracks. It really is a hardship. I don't know how I cope sometimes.

Roll on the summer when I can get back to posing! (As long as its not raining)
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:58 pm

Sorry humbug - I've got an excuse for not getting out - been signed off until 16 Feb to recover from multiple pulmonary embolisms- so not been out since 2nd Jan. See my post in "ride reports"

Enjoy the ride
TT
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:20 pm

I find that if I ride mine when its freezing cold, damp and generally horrible, women swoon in admiration at the size of my balls, and men can't hold eye contact with me as I'm obviously so 'ard. :D Its posing Jim, but not as we know it..... :lol:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Herb

Postby Herb » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:28 pm

Admittedly, it was a long time ago, and gear has improved since then, but I remember riding my Kwak GT550 from Coventry to Beaconsfield for new year. A distance of probably around 90 miles. When I got there, I has to be helped off the bike and I was so cold I couldn't talk. The pain in my feet when the circulation came back was excruciating. That was when I became determined to be a poseur! (Sorry, fair weather biker).

I bought my first car soon after.
********Jim********

---------------------------

2006 'Colgate' R1200s

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:44 pm

I tried a heated vest once but it was way too hot under my Rukka, so I ended up switching it on and off all the time. Its only my hands/fingers that suffer these days, the odd time I do venture out in the cold, but I bought a pair of Rukka Utoo gloves from Germany last year - combined with silk inners and the heated grips, they really do do a decent job of keeping things warm. :)

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:04 pm

The other morning I went through the front door to walk round to the garage. The pavement was frozen over, all slipping and sliding round the house. No way the bike is coming out and not in the salt given the tendency of the BMW finish to corrode. Don't need to show my balls to other men.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:08 pm

tanneman wrote:The other morning I went through the front door to walk round to the garage. The pavement was frozen over, all slipping and sliding round the house. No way the bike is coming out and not in the salt given the tendency of the BMW finish to corrode. Don't need to show my balls to other men.

Exactly the same here yesterday (3 deg colder today but no frost at all), including vast quantities of salt all over. That's why I never ride mine when its freezing cold, damp and generally horrible! :)

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Britisherspy

Postby Britisherspy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:29 pm

I was going to use mine to pop up to Donington services but the thought of the faff to get geared up, then the freezing cold ride at motorway speeds, eyes streaming, nose running and then being roasting hot in the services for an hours meeting - its just not worth the bother. I used the car.

I still ride once a week anyway for fun at the weekends unless I'm too busy, rain, shine, or sleet.

Its not for everyone, especially if your bike is spotless, mines isn't so it gets used. Might be different if it was pristine or it was 'too precious' to get dirty.

I don't agree with boasting about riding in the winter, though - everyone is different.

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:38 pm

I'm coming out of the closet....I'm a wimp, end of. I'm a wimp, and I'm proud of it! :D

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

popsky

Postby popsky » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:41 pm

Been there done that no thanks anymore, that is all :lol:
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

David_S_Walker

Postby David_S_Walker » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:03 pm

Hello,

I have been using the "Luxury" Coach service into London since 6th January when I rode down my (steep) slope of my driveway and instead of taking the lesser slope I turned down the steeper bit and the bike (The Honda VFR1200X Cross Tourer - Well there is no way I would bring the BMW R1200S out in the winter far too shiny!) slid from under me on a patch of ice and proceeded to trap my right leg under it!

Now don't laugh but I live in a quiet private road and actually had to lie there for what seemed like ages until one of my neighbours drove up and helped me escape and get it upright! It is a bit of a lump tipping the scales at around 500lbs BTW.

Anyway rode on into work but realised I had not done my knee any good. So rode home and parked it up that evening, surveyed the damages, ordered the replacement parts (About £250 worth - mainly plastic protectors which did their job I guess) and decided that it would not come out again until things warm up a bit. My knee is still a bit painful but nothing too serious. I have to say that the R&G Frame protector certainly stopped far more serious damage being done!

Anyway next week looks to be "warmer" so I will press it back into service but going forwards I will keep a much closer eye on the weather forecast - Discretion being the better part of valour I think. It won't put me off riding in the winter - Just made me a bit more cautious when the temperature is forecast to be low.

As I have sat in my window seat on the warm coach everyday since then I have seen many motorcycles on their way up the A2 into London and wondered how far from a main "gritted" road they live?.... Or indeed how large their balls are?

Be careful out there.

Best regards,

David
Last edited by David_S_Walker on Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Hokey Cokey. What if that is what life is all about?
BMW R1200S-2006 with much carbon,PCIII & Schnitzer,
Subaru Outback 3.0 R N 2006 and an Abarth 595 MTA 180 Competizione Convertible

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:55 pm

The Teutonic Tangerine wrote:Sorry humbug - I've got an excuse for not getting out - been signed off until 16 Feb to recover from multiple pulmonary embolisms- so not been out since 2nd Jan. See my post in "ride reports"

Enjoy the ride
TT

Sorry to hear that TT. Hope things are on the mend
10 KTM RC8

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:01 pm

Britisherspy wrote:I was going to use mine to pop up to Donington services but the thought of the faff to get geared up, then the freezing cold ride at motorway speeds, eyes streaming, nose running and then being roasting hot in the services for an hours meeting - its just not worth the bother. I used the car.

I still ride once a week anyway for fun at the weekends unless I'm too busy, rain, shine, or sleet.

Its not for everyone, especially if your bike is spotless, mines isn't so it gets used. Might be different if it was pristine or it was 'too precious' to get dirty.

I don't agree with boasting about riding in the winter, though - everyone is different.
dont take my post the wrong way, certainly not boasting about being out, just haven't been down that way on the bike for a while. Used to see loads of bikes, even used to see same ones day in day out and have a bit of fun with them. Just making an observation. I'm in the car when I don't need to go into a city like most of us
10 KTM RC8

Return to “Boxerbanter”