afternoon all

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Ben1200RS

afternoon all

Postby Ben1200RS » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:07 pm

Afternoon all,

I thought I would join your forum as im after some general advise. I've just put down a deposit on an R1200RS which im testing next week and all bein well I intend to buy it. I'm early 40s and have been riding on and off most of my adult life with odd years here and there without a bike. mainly ive had jap bikes in line fours and triumphs (Daytona 955is). My current bike is a 1250 bandit which has been sensible but a bit bland.

I love the looks of the RS and it seems to tick all the boxes for me (bit of commuting, weekend fun and 2 up tours with the mrs and luggage).

Does anyone have an RS and what are your experience's of them? Is there anything I need to look out for buying almost new? Im looking at a 2015 RS sport bike with a few thousand miles on it.

cheers

Ben

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Re: afternoon all

Postby Paul » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:54 pm

Hi Ben,

I have one, and it is ace. Most of the ones sold here seem to be the top spec SE model which has the fancy electronic suspension and rather fantastic gear assist pro, allowing you to go up and down through the gears without using the clutch. Having lurked on another R1200RS forum for the past 18 months or so, I can't say that I'm aware of any major issues or failings discovered by lots of people. If you do get on though, I would recommend investing in a Mud sling to protect the rear shock from road crud.

The only other annoyance with the bike is that the standard top box is a bit small, but you can get an adapter to allow you to use GIVI boxes instead. Don't however buy the GIVI manufactured plate for the R1200RS, since that brings the box so close to the rider that the pillion carrying capability is greatly compromised. There is a guy called Bacaruda on R1200RSforums.com who has designed and manufactured an alternate GIVI mounting plate which looks better than the GIVI own brand plate, and it moves the box further to the back of the bike making room for a pillion.

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:30 pm

R1200RS's and R1200R's are great fun! The only personal gripe I have is the dash can get a bit too cramped when showing all the info. But it's configurable to you.
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Ben1200RS

Postby Ben1200RS » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:34 pm

Thanks for the info Paul I will bear your observations in mind when Im testing it. The one I'm looking at had panniers but no top box, which I'm not sure I'd use much anyways.

Ben1200RS

Postby Ben1200RS » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:36 pm

Thanks Steve too, after the bandit any dash with more than revs and mph will feel a bit alien for a while. I'm really looking forward to getting to grips with a the big twin though and hope it suits me.

fontana

Postby fontana » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:02 pm

I think this may have been posted before.
It's a review on the R1200R, which is essentially the same bike in naked form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kMO7hX43as

bobtail

Postby bobtail » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:43 pm

Hi, I bought my R1200RS in 2015 previously had a K1200S so it was my first 'boxer bike'. What a revelation it is truly stupendous and does everything that the box(er) says it should do!

Got the usual extras like the Mudsling/cylinder head protectors/rad guard etc. Re: top box why don't you go for the BMW soft bag option (small) fits straight onto the rack and can accommodate plenty of stuff. I've used one of these for many years touring two up and they really are very good. Also if your thinking of a tank bag go for the Wunderlich 'Elefant' series very well made and fits the rather unusual tank shape of the bike perfectly.

Bob
Are we there yet?

ianc53

Postby ianc53 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:22 am

Can't really tell you an awful lot about them, except I liked them enough to buy one. Not many miles on it yet but really happy so far.

Gearbox is a great improvement over every previous boxer I've had, and the quick shifter is good fun. Even the telescopic forks aren't too bad (although I loved the tele lever on my previous bikes). Still prefer the old BMW indicator switches but will put up with that. As Paul mentioned dash is a bit crowded, and Sat Nav position is useless - soon to be rectified after advice from Paul.

Hope your test ride goes well, as others have pointed out on previous occasions, if it's your first boxer give yourself plenty of time to get to know it. They really are great bikes.

Cheers

Ian
Motorrad R1250RS SE 2023
Blue R100RS 1980
Suzuki GT250B 1977

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:25 pm

Have a good test ride on one. Then have a good test ride on the r1200r. It will do everything a gs and a rs will do and is far sportier on the road. Underrated and overlooked as far as it`s sibling s are concerned. I would argue a better all round bike than any current Boxer. All reviews back up what I am saying . It`s less expensive too and can have most of if not all the gizmo`s an S1000r has.

Cool roadster looks too

Just sayin

chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:45 am

Another big plus for the RS. Bought mine July 2015 and did double my previous annual mileage because it was so damn good.
Have a look at the R1200RS forum for more information - plenty of happy owners there :D

Ben1200RS

Postby Ben1200RS » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:44 pm

Quick update for you all,

On Monday afternoon I had a 40 min test ride of the R1200RS, I didn't really push it as I was riding a new bike on roads I didn't know and also I've not ridden a bike at all over the winter so was concerned about being slightly rusty myself. However within a few minutes of setting off I really felt at home on it. The salesman said it might take a while to get used to the flat twin but TBH I pretty much loved it from the get go. Things I almost immediately noticed that stood out from my current 1250 bandit were

The low C of G and great balance the bike had.
The rising position felt very natural and the bike is a lot narrower between the legs which I prefer.
Engine felt great, I didn't push it alt all really but it seemed to have loads of poke wherever I looked for it.
Brakes (particularly the rear) way exceeded what I am used to.
Fit and finish again where superb and it feels very well put together.
Slightly disappointed with the exhaust noise and id probably want a can on it at some point.
Quick shift pro will take a bit of getting used to.
I tested the RS sport version without electronic suspension but I couldn't fault anything about the ride (although it was a pretty brief test taking in mainly A roads).
It will take me ages to use / get used to all the toys on it!

Overall it feels like a bike that will do everything I need it to do and a whole lot more and importantly put a smile on my face whilst doing it.

So anyway I now own my first BMW..........I've just got to get it delivered now (its 175 miles from home and most of my weekends are booked up for the next 6 weeks so a weekday delivery seemed like the best option).

popsky

Postby popsky » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:52 pm

Enjoy your new ride, and maybe a weekend in Welshire with other trixsters at the end of April is just the thing to get to know all things Beemer :mrgreen:
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

Return to “Boxerbanter”