New Mobile Rules

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

f90x

Re: New Mobile Rules

Postby f90x » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:53 pm

milleplod wrote:There's already more than enough legislation in place to cover just about any stupidity a cyclist might feel he's entitled to indulge in. The problem, as ever, is that there's barely anyone out there to enforce it and, even if there was, there's no interest in doing so.

Pete

Mostly this. In London however I quite regularly see police pulling up cyclists for all of that type of behaviour. The main problem I feel is a lack of police presence as a deterrent. This applies to all walks of life of course as constant cut backs and (maybe Pete can confirm or deny) a focus on automated fine machines and motoring offences. I had a conversation with a motorcycle officer last summer of over 20years service (Thames Valley) who seemed to think that it is all about targets these days rather than 'actual' policing of the roads.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

f90x

Postby f90x » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:57 pm

fontana wrote:
Little chance.
Cycling is seen as the future by the hysterical green left.
Last thing they'll put up with is legislation that alienates cyclists.

What the hell does this mean? "Hysterical green left"!?

There's loads of laws relating to cyclists and why would anyone want to 'alienate' cyclists through a law?
R1200GS TC. Triple Black

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

kfrogzx7

Postby kfrogzx7 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:32 am

f90x wrote:
fontana wrote:
Little chance.

There's loads of laws relating to cyclists and why would anyone want to 'alienate' cyclists through a law?

Come on f90x, no need to get specific, but we all know who the "hysterical green left" are, so do you I believe ?

Some cyclists need to be "alienated" .. I'm talking about the ones that are cycling facists !! They are the scourge of the highways these days, they mostly make motorcyclists look like saints.
Simon.
K100rs, R1100s, R1150rs, R1200st, K1300s

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:58 am

I'm a keen cyclist (I don't crash red lights and I don't cycle on the pavement), and I care about the environment.

So, I'm proud to be a "hysterical green left fascist". :)

Herb

Postby Herb » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:11 am

f90x wrote:
fontana wrote:I'm in total agreement with stricter laws regarding mobiles, but at the same time I can't help think it's getting a bit hysterical.
You're basically not allowed to touch your phone whilst the engine is switched on, but yet there are no laws saying that you can't reach down and adjust the volume, or flick through the channels on the radio.
:?
There are allsorts of distractions you can encounter as a driver that are far worse than a phone.
Perhaps we should ban passengers talking to the driver of a car for example.

It is quite obvious even without Pete's/Milleplod explanation that most of that list is nonsense. We are still allowed to touch the phone when the engine is on. Nothing has changed other than the fine.

Regardless, I find myself in agreement with Fontana regarding the hysteria. (I know! I might have to go and have a lie down :lol: )

There is something of a hysterical attitude from a certain type of well meaning do-gooder regarding use of phones, even to the point where some are pushing to ban phone use full stop, inc handsfree. See also speed kills, if it saves one life etc etc. Clearly holding the phone, texting, surfing etc are unacceptable, however common sense should apply and I am not always convinced it does.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:30 am

Yes, agreed that the over-zealous interpretation of a law, with no regard to common sense is very unhelpful in getting folks on side.

fontana

Postby fontana » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:03 pm

Herb wrote:Regardless, I find myself in agreement with Fontana regarding the hysteria.

What's happened is that a large element within the ultra left have discovered cycling is a good way of being anti establishment and being confrontational with the Police.
Like here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfftgb4KOlE

Grip Fast wrote:I'm a keen cyclist (I don't crash red lights and I don't cycle on the pavement), and I care about the environment.

So, I'm proud to be a "hysterical green left fascist". :)

I cycle too, but I'm not blinkered to the trouble making fanatics in the ranks.
Oh and I never used the word fascist, which is a term normally associated with the far right

Herb

Postby Herb » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:15 pm

fontana wrote:
Herb wrote:Regardless, I find myself in agreement with Fontana regarding the hysteria.

What's happened is that a large element within the ultra left have discovered cycling is a good way of being anti establishment and being confrontational with the Police.
Like here

I was only agreeing about the phones! Don't bring me into your cycling debate. :D
********Jim********

---------------------------

2006 'Colgate' R1200s

fontana

Postby fontana » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:20 pm

Herb wrote:I was only agreeing about the phones! Don't bring me into your cycling debate. :D

Actually, it wasn't me who introduced cycling into the discussion

:D

But yes, back on topic, I think this mobile phone issue getting over zealous.
There are far worse distractions.
Like the Woman I once saw driving erratically because she was preoccupied with keeping her three young kids under control in the back.

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:56 pm

fontana wrote:
I cycle too, but I'm not blinkered to the trouble making fanatics in the ranks.
Oh and I never used the word fascist, which is a term normally associated with the far right

No, I know you didn't, fontana. I was just summarising all the terms in the thread - someone else said fascist. I decided to start collecting insults - it's a good way to not take it personally (and I'm not taking it personally). So, I've also got "arrogant and obnoxious " and "elitist scum" recently (not on this forum).

fontana

Postby fontana » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:18 pm

Grip Fast wrote:No, I know you didn't, fontana. I was just summarising all the terms in the thread - someone else said fascist. I decided to start collecting insults - it's a good way to not take it personally (and I'm not taking it personally). So, I've also got "arrogant and obnoxious " and "elitist scum" recently (not on this forum).

I view it the same way as football thugs,
Most people watch football because they are passionate about the game.
However a small but significant minority go to matches to cause trouble and start a fight.
Extremists, for want of a better word, always find their way into pursuits that can easily bring them into conflict with the establishment.
Cycling has become the latest sadly.

f90x

Postby f90x » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:14 pm

kfrogzx7 wrote:
f90x wrote:
fontana wrote:
Little chance.

Come on f90x, no need to get specific, but we all know who the "hysterical green left" are, so do you I believe ?

Some cyclists need to be "alienated" .. I'm talking about the ones that are cycling facists !! They are the scourge of the highways these days, they mostly make motorcyclists look like saints.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

f90x

Postby f90x » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:23 pm

kfrogzx7 wrote:
f90x wrote:
fontana wrote:
Little chance.

You can't make a statement like that and not get pulled up on it. I 'really' don't know who 'the hysterical green left' are. What does it mean? It sounds like one of those bulshit terms used by the gutter press to me.

You can't make a statement like that and not get pulled up on it. I 'really' don't know who 'the hysterical green left' are. What does it mean? It sounds like one of those bulshit terms used by the gutter press to me

Some cyclists need to be "alienated" .. I'm talking about the ones that are cycling facists !! They are the scourge of the highways these days, they mostly make motorcyclists look like saints

As do some motorcyclist, some car drivers, some van drivers, some scooter riders, some lorry drivers. I guarantee that there are far more motoring fascists than cyclists. And I'm not taking anything away from the fact that there a a lot of piss taking cyclists out there but it tends to be people of a certain thought process that believe cyclists to be the worst road users.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:45 pm

I'm with you on this f90x. Well said.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:22 pm

tanneman wrote:2.5 deaths per week. That 1/2 a death does it occur when the week comes to an end and a new one start or does it mean that 2 are dead for certain and 1/2 is fubar.
I think it means 5 deaths per fortnight?

One of Amandas friends was put in intensive care by a young female motorist from Hawick who was texting whilst driving, Dot made it through but Jim did not, Dot was given the news when she was lucid some time after the collision. The ironic thing is that there were a pile of cheap flowers, name board and cuddly toys ribbons, tat etc round the fence for the young motorist who threw her own life away too. I found the memorial insensitive. Texting whilst driving is commonplace where I bide. There is a distinct Police absence. Parliament can make as many laws as it wants but without effective policing they have little impact.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Return to “Boxerbanter”