You learn from your mistakes

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

bfisher

You learn from your mistakes

Postby bfisher » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:40 pm

Hmmm, knocked off the r1100s this morning....not that bad, it was the best you probably could get away with when it comes to a bike being hit by 4 wheels. Incident description: stalled at lights, then t-barred from behind after the guy misread the brake light on restart; happens quickly, wtf. He admitted fault & until I give by a 100% eye over, I can't say any major damage & fortunately I think this plastic rocker protectors did there job (it fortunately was a gentle nudge more than anything but bike was knocked to the ground)....but I think min damage, he was a nice enough guy, accidents happen, not interested in taking piss, hopefully rocker cover replacement (£30ish); bar end re powder coat (£10),perhaps annoyingly it's un-seated exhaust to cans joint as moisture noted dripping tonight on startup (not seen that since rebuild); so hopefully unless he disappears of communications it's settle without insurance involvement.....

Point of my post....every accident I've had (all non fault), I ask myself could I have done something to avoid....ie in this situation put my hand up to make a point to driver, hazard lights etc....hindsight a wonderful thing.... next time I might behave differently....

And while I was all very amicable during incident, in hindsight I am now f@cking annoyed my r1100s has been t-barred after rebuild & I was not at fault.... am I too much of a nice guy? Accidents happen.... nil damage to body is the important thing I guess....b

Grip Fast

Re: You learn from your mistakes

Postby Grip Fast » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:54 pm

First, it's good that you're ok. Second, it's probably not a good idea to lose it at the scene of the accident. It doesn't really help, and I'm not even sure it makes you feel any better. I hope the guy does stump up to cover the cost though, or then you might wish you had been more forceful ('assertive' I think is the right word). But it's still a real pain that the bike is damaged.

I was punted off the road, in my car, a few years ago by a guy who by his own admission was half asleep and didn't register my brake lights. He was really apologetic at the scene and admitted fault. I needed a loan car, but my insurance said I couldn't have one unless he admitted fault. So I phoned him and he said not to worry, he'd call my insurance straight away, which he did, and I got the loan car that afternoon. Good guy.

When I was a teenager, I was punted off my bike (BSA C15) by a guy in an Austin A40. He was really apologetic at the scene and admitted fault. He asked me not to get the police involved because he'd borrowed the car from his neighbour and was now in a whole heap of trouble. I felt sorry for him and agreed. He said to phone him when I got the bike fixed and he'd pay the bill. A couple of weeks later, I called him and told him the bill was 30/- (£1.50 in new money). He told me to piss off and hung up on me. Not a good guy.

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:39 am

I'd still be looking for witnesses until he comes up with the goods. Shame that we have to think like that , but unfortunately there's a lot of unscrupulous people out there. Hope it all works out

dark_knight87

Postby dark_knight87 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:25 pm

I agree with Andy - Any witnesses make the process a whole lot easier. I was knocked off in May 2016, I didn't receive a penny from his insurers until January 2017 a week before it was due in court!. I don't ride anywhere without the helmet cam running these days!

Regards,
Russ
It started badly, it tailed off a little in the middle and the less said about the end the better, but apart from that it was excellent.

popsky

Postby popsky » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:07 pm

A few years ago I got punted from behind by another bike as I'd stopped behind a car turning right, mine looked ok no visible damage so after he apologised profusely off we all went, it wasn't till some time later maybe a couple of weeks I notice my rear wheel had a nice dent in the rim, obviously I should have got all his details just in case, I had other mates following on there bike so could easily have claimed, but I've learned from that, later that day I was still leading and had to make a bit of a sharp stop, mate behind didn't want to hit me for a second time and braked so hard he did a stoppy then promptly fell of the side, he broke his hip and was in hospital for a number of weeks, so looking back now a dink in my rim was kinda the better outcome.
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Any time an R1100s hits the deck it pays to check the subframe lugs on the c frame ,they're quite weak.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

jonton

Postby jonton » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:56 am

Hopefully you didn't knock your head at all, but I'd always get a new helmet after any sort of accident, just to be safe.

Return to “Boxerbanter”