Edinburgh bikers beware of gang of thieves

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Kevint

Edinburgh bikers beware of gang of thieves

Postby Kevint » Fri May 12, 2017 9:15 pm

My bike was stolen on Monday morning at 3:20 am from West Lothian (on the outskirts of Edinburgh). It was then taken to Lower Granton Road/Pilton where the scroats ran out of fuel/killed the battery. Thankfully its been recovered and is in a "good condition considering where it's been found" according to the PC who phoned to tell me. I'm yet to be reunited but remain hopeful . . .

During my search and social media postings, it transpires that there is a gang who stole about 30 bikes over the weekend in Edinburgh alone. Some were stolen in broad daylight and the 2 that stole mine (out of my locked garage) were wearing hi-viz! Suspect the recent good weather has brought bikers out of hibernation which they've seized upon. I've got CCTV footage which shows them stealing the bike in 7mins flat!

I've learned I need to lock it up even when in my garage as it was far to easy for them to take. Admittedly, I became complacent and believed once it was locked away, it was safe. Oh how very wrong I was . . . Please learn from the error of my ways.

Looks like I will be needing to replace the ignition, filler cap and seat lock, which I presume will be an insurance job.m

ianbcr

Re: Edinburgh bikers beware of gang of thieves

Postby ianbcr » Fri May 12, 2017 9:45 pm

Tough luck there, lets hope its not to badly damaged and the repair cost are minimal, I have a bull bar garage door security device on my garage as well as the bikes being locked with security chains. Seems no area is safe from the scum.
Your born with a certain amout of heart beats, Dont waste them on exersise. [smilie=rooster.gif]

04 boxer cup rep. Gone but not forgoten
99 tlr1000 (V twin) tricked.
Indian Roadmaster Elite
Mercedes EQC 400

fontana

Postby fontana » Fri May 12, 2017 9:50 pm

Thanks for posting this.
I think we can all become complacent, believing these things happen to other people.
Someone I knew was washing his MV Augusta in his drive.
In the time it took him to go inside to make a cup of tea, the bike was gone.
You never can be too careful

xspencex

Postby xspencex » Sun May 21, 2017 10:07 am

I commute into Edinburgh occasionally and I'm very thankful my work allows me to park in their underground and secure car park. . . I'd think twice before riding in and parking up else where.

I've seen some of these scrotes riding about on scooters, two up and weaving in and out of traffic and running reds. Difficult to know what you can do though. . .just hope the police have the teeth to do something about it. Seems in London it's at epidemic levels at the moment.
--------------------------------
2006 R1200S - Yellow/Black - Gone!
2015 R1200 GS TE - Gone!
2016 S1000 XR - Current

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sun May 21, 2017 7:39 pm

xspencex wrote:I commute into Edinburgh occasionally and I'm very thankful my work allows me to park in their underground and secure car park. . . I'd think twice before riding in and parking up else where.

I've seen some of these scrotes riding about on scooters, two up and weaving in and out of traffic and running reds. Difficult to know what you can do though. . .just hope the police have the teeth to do something about it. Seems in London it's at epidemic levels at the moment.
Not a priority for Police, Insurance picks up the tab anyway.

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Sun May 21, 2017 8:41 pm

Thats a nightmare. You got it back yet Kevin ?
"02 Yamaha XJR 1300SP in Kenny Roberts Yellow - (bought new)
"18 BMW S1000R Sports - (bought new)

"11 Porsche Boxster 987 S Black Edition No.261 of 987

Return to “Boxerbanter”