R Nine T Racer

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

fontana

Re: R Nine T Racer

Postby fontana » Sat May 20, 2017 5:57 pm

slparry wrote:having said that, I quite like having traction and ABS on a wet day on a 200hp S1000RR :D

Different things.
These are safety aids rather than rider aids.
Abs is handy when someone suddenly pulls across, or out on you with inches to spare on a wet road.
When it rains, you get plenty of warning.
More often than not you'll have time to pull over and get your wet gear on.
No split second decisions required.
Just common sense.
Soften throttle input and moderate openings.
Is the standard of riding now so bad that people need to press a button to get the bike to do that for them.
:(

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sun May 21, 2017 8:47 pm

fontana wrote:
slparry wrote:
Is the standard of riding now so bad that people need to press a button to get the bike to do that for them.
What, automatically ride badly? :wink: The buttons open up new parameters and new riding skills are still required to optimise these. They make for a whole new experience in my opinion and that is from someone who has always been sceptical about new tech and it`s costs in use. Engine/ Bike Character is not everyones desire perhaps smooth, seamless performance is more desirable?

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

fontana

Postby fontana » Sun May 21, 2017 10:33 pm

boxerscott wrote:
fontana wrote:
slparry wrote:
What, automatically ride badly? :wink: The buttons open up new parameters and new riding skills are still required to optimise these. They make for a whole new experience in my opinion and that is from someone who has always been sceptical about new tech and it`s costs in use. Engine/ Bike Character is not everyones desire perhaps smooth, seamless performance is more desirable?

Chris

I have a computer on board.
It's called a brain, and is the most sophisticated computer known to man.
When the weather and or road conditions change, information is gathered by the senses which relay the information to the brain, which in turn sends signals to the rest of the body resulting in the appropriate riding style for the conditions.
If riding modes were the be all and end all, then we'd all be clambering over ourselves to have a bike with them fitted.
The fact is we are not, which means we don't really believe we need them.

Mitch1100

Postby Mitch1100 » Sun May 28, 2017 10:48 pm

2009 HP2 Sport...sold
2006 R1200s with yellow rim tape
2008 Ducati Monster S4RS Tricolore..sold
2004 R1100s BoxerCup Replika..sold
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318/600

fontana

Postby fontana » Mon May 29, 2017 9:29 pm

I popped over to Exeter today and had a nose around Bridge motorcycles.
They have a Thruxton Racer in there with custom paintwork.
I'm not a huge fan of Triumphs, but I have to say, Ooo Er.
This is rather tasty.
8)

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:09 pm

Yeh Nice. Marlon Brando, Bruce Springsteen, would have looked cool on that (fact is they would have looked cool on anything). It`s a living the dream thing (just like the HD scene) Now`t wrong with that but If you want to put yourself in a racing crouch buy a proper sports bike that has todays mega performance and aids. However if you want to buy it just to look at then it`s still a nice comfort thing to have around :)
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

fontana

Postby fontana » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:01 pm

boxerscott wrote:If you want to put yourself in a racing crouch buy a proper sports bike that has todays mega performance and aids. However if you want to buy it just to look at then it`s still a nice comfort thing to have around :)

Yeah so you keep saying.
So based on that, anyone who bought an R1200S should really have bought a Fireblade, or an R1 wouldn't you say ?
If you're going to buy a sports bike, why settle for an air cooled low tech twin, when you could have a hell of a lot more performance for similar money.
And so on
:?
Speaking of just looking at your bikes.
What do you do with yours most of the time.
Bit if a garage ornament ??????????
:roll:
No offence meant, but it is a bit rich for you to point the finger at people who like to look at their bike, when by your own admission you hardly ever use yours.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:08 pm

Good point, but I have not settled for anything, at the moment we have a capable all rounder that will do two up stuff, that does not really satisfy my desire to have another duc or a prillia v4 sports. Which I may well do regardless of the miles I cover on two wheels. I must add where I live it is quality over quantity and our roads in the borders are uncongested and wend their way from coast to coast in harmony with nature. Simply amazing. 40 mins on a summers Sunday evening is equal to 4 laps of the ring and for nowt. I feel sorry for all the guys pluggin away on congested controlled roads trying so hard to be proper bikers :wink:

For what it is worth if I had the disposable I probably would have garage ornaments but I don`t. My 1200r is hardly an ornament, not been cleaned in 5 months of ownership, not on an optimate, extras purchased not yet fitted. I nearly took it out this afternoon after work but the garden was calling. I can tell you the next time I take it out it will still be so right. I look forward to that.

No offence taken :wink:

Chris
Fiat Panda.

fontana

Postby fontana » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:12 pm

I understand that Norton have had a great deal of success with their Domiracer, which is even more uncompromising than the Racer, more basic, (not even abs),far less powerful and about 15 grand more expensive.
It may be small, but there is definitely a market for retro sports bikes.
I love the 9T, and couldn't be less interested in modern state of the art sports bikes
For me, most of them are the road going equivalent of Bic disposable razors.
No thanks.

Mitch1100

Postby Mitch1100 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:46 am

Finally sat on a 9T racer and was impressed apart from short side stand. My feeling is by the time I spec'd it up you're up around or over the R1200RS price which has quick shift,traction control, heated grips etc etc. :wink:
2009 HP2 Sport...sold

fontana

Postby fontana » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:44 am

Mitch1100 wrote:Finally sat on a 9T racer and was impressed apart from short side stand. My feeling is by the time I spec'd it up you're up around or over the R1200RS price which has quick shift,traction control, heated grips etc etc. :wink:

You can have the Racer with traction control and heated grips.
It adds about £600 to the base price of £10,775.
No gear shift assist pro or rider modes though.
It's bare bones motorcycling, and all the better for it in my opinion.

Mitch1100

Postby Mitch1100 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:18 am

fontana wrote:It's bare bones motorcycling, and all the better for it in my opinion.

My R12s is my first "hi tech" bike..ABS and heated grips (best thing since sliced bread), the S4RS is as raw as it gets. Figure I need to spoil myself :roll:
2009 HP2 Sport...sold

fontana

Postby fontana » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:23 pm

Mitch1100 wrote:
fontana wrote:It's bare bones motorcycling, and all the better for it in my opinion.

My R12s is my first "hi tech" bike..ABS and heated grips (best thing since sliced bread), the S4RS is as raw as it gets. Figure I need to spoil myself :roll:

All bikes should have heated grips as standard.
I think its ludicrous we have to pay so much extra for a few quids worth of wiring and a switch.

Return to “Boxerbanter”