R Nine T Racer

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

slparry

R Nine T Racer

Postby slparry » Wed May 17, 2017 9:25 pm

So a decision was taken in work today to do a special based on the Racer, I suggested a paint scheme with a nod to the Daytona orange smoke that the original R90S was in and the original Roland Sands Concept, should be pretty I think :D
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Jeff Highland

Re: R Nine T Racer

Postby Jeff Highland » Wed May 17, 2017 10:05 pm

Hopefully none of those tacky RSD branded Parts.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Wed May 17, 2017 10:57 pm

Steve mate, I think the r9t family is the best sales pitch of the century, it has caught the imagination of all beardy side fistin`old blokes with more money than sense. You could put tassles on the handlebars and a front basket for man groomin`stuff.. they would still buy it! Colour don`t matter however, it is only half the bike of the r1200R roadster :wink:

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

fontana

Postby fontana » Thu May 18, 2017 8:22 am

boxerscott wrote:Steve mate, I think the r9t family is the best sales pitch of the century, it has caught the imagination of all beardy side fistin`old blokes with more money than sense. You could put tassles on the handlebars and a front basket for man groomin`stuff.. they would still buy it! Colour don`t matter however, it is only half the bike of the r1200R roadster :wink:

Chris

Boxerscott.
I disagree.
I rode both the R1200R and R NINE T.
For me at least, the latter had the edge on fun, and a bit of soul, although the 12R is an undeniably brilliant bike.
I don't have much money, but hopefully a bit of sense, so I decided to go with a decision of heart over head.
Wouldn't it be a dull world if we all bought what we needed, and were all riding around on Honda Deauvilles
:lol:
Steve, I take it this is the look you're after.

Imageprint screen windows 7

ianbcr

Postby ianbcr » Thu May 18, 2017 9:36 am

Yes Steve don't forget the rim tape :D
Your born with a certain amout of heart beats, Dont waste them on exersise. [smilie=rooster.gif]

04 boxer cup rep. Gone but not forgoten
99 tlr1000 (V twin) tricked.
Indian Roadmaster Elite
Mercedes EQC 400

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Thu May 18, 2017 11:39 pm

fontana wrote:
boxerscott wrote:Steve mate, I think the r9t family is the best sales pitch of the century, it has caught the imagination of all beardy side fistin`old blokes with more money than sense. You could put tassles on the handlebars and a front basket for man groomin`stuff.. they would still buy it! Colour don`t matter however, it is only half the bike of the r1200R roadster :wink:

Chris

Boxerscott.
I disagree.
I rode both the R1200R and R NINE T.
For me at least, the latter had the edge on fun, and a bit of soul, although the 12R is an undeniably brilliant bike.
I don't have much money, but hopefully a bit of sense, so I decided to go with a decision of heart over head.
Wouldn't it be a dull world if we all bought what we needed, and were all riding around on Honda Deauvilles
:lol:
Steve, I take it this is the look you're after.

Imageprint screen windows 7
I agree with you mate, it would be a dull world, but I reckon the Deauville is arguably of more use than an R9t and will sell 10 times over globally what the hipster one does :wink:
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

fontana

Postby fontana » Fri May 19, 2017 12:11 am

boxerscott wrote:I agree with you mate, it would be a dull world, but I reckon the Deauville is arguably of more use than an R9t and will sell 10 times over globally what the hipster one does :wink:

Hmmmmm
I noticed your thoughts on the bike were conspicuously absent during this thread
:roll:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=22292&hilit=R+NINE+T

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Fri May 19, 2017 8:10 pm

fontana wrote:
boxerscott wrote:I agree with you mate, it would be a dull world, but I reckon the Deauville is arguably of more use than an R9t and will sell 10 times over globally what the hipster one does :wink:

Hmmmmm
I noticed your thoughts on the bike were conspicuously absent during this thread
:roll:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=22292&hilit=R+NINE+T
Ha, what do you expect from a man who drives around in a Fiat Panda :(

But since you mention it, I do like the look and I could well have bought one last year . Great looking bike only missing the LC engine.
Fiat Panda.

fontana

Postby fontana » Fri May 19, 2017 8:48 pm

boxerscott wrote:But since you mention it, I do like the look and I could well have bought one last year . Great looking bike only missing the LC engine.

To be fair, I would have been with you six months ago.
Then I saw the Racer and my whole perspective changed.
I get what BMW are doing with the 9T.
Doesn't change my view on hipsters though.
I just don't think we should let it colour our judgement on their chosen bikes.
I mean I love old air heads, which are being bought up in en mass by the coffee fancying bearded one's, and destroyed.
So sad.
I'm almost tempted to buy an R100RS, just to do my bit to save the species from extinction at the hands of these butchers.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sat May 20, 2017 1:09 am

I agree with you,

The sales and marketing of the retro theme using an old engine has not been a costly adventure for BMW or Ducati. BMW have looked closely at what Ducati have done, years before I may add, inventing a sub brand (Scrambler) that sells a dream as per HD USA years before that. I am ok with that and can see the lure. However for the riding experience it has to be new tech, for living a dream then go with retro and good luck to either camps.

I may add that I have never had a test ride on any of the RT9 family but if I wanted a racer I would buy a proper one. What is the point of being put in a racing crouch on an old air head boxer when you can be in the same position on a middleweight Panni, laden with rider aids that do make a massive difference I have found.

Chris
Last edited by boxerscott on Sat May 20, 2017 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fiat Panda.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sat May 20, 2017 1:17 am

boxerscott wrote:I agree with you,

The sales and marketing of the retro theme using an old engine has not been a costly adventure for BMW or Ducati. BMW have looked closely at what Ducati have done, years before I may add, inventing a sub brand (Scrambler) that sells a dream as per HD USA years before that. I am ok with that and can see the lure. However for the riding experience it has to be new tech, for living a dream then go with retro and good luck to either camps.

I may add that I have never had a test ride on any of the RT9 family but if I wanted a racer I would buy a proper one. What is the point of being put in a racing crouch on an old air head boxer when you can be in the same position on a middleweight Panni, laden with rider aids that do make a massive difference I have found. The retro scene is maybe for Poseurs?

Chris
Fiat Panda.

fontana

Postby fontana » Sat May 20, 2017 8:22 am

boxerscott wrote:I may add that I have never had a test ride on any of the RT9 family but if I wanted a racer I would buy a proper one. What is the point of being put in a racing crouch on an old air head boxer when you can be in the same position on a middleweight Panni, laden with rider aids that do make a massive difference I have found.

Chris

Rider aids are not for me.
If the day ever comes when I need to press a button when it starts raining because I lack basic throttle control skills, I'll hang up the helmet and jacket for good, because I'll then know I am a complete liability and shouldn't be on the road.
As regards the rest of it, well yes I get that but there is a small group of people, like me, who like the idea of an old school sportster inspired by race bikes from the 70's.
We could all have better bikes in terms of performance.
In that sense how is the 9T racer any different from the 12S.
The latter was marketed as a sports bike.
Back when they were new, why would you buy a one over a similarly priced Fireblade or R1.
Both those bikes would piss rings around the Beemer in terms of performance.
Same goes now.
For the price of a good used 12S there are lot's of alternatives that are much better suited to sports riding.
Personally, I do not like modern sports bikes.
They do nothing for me, but the 9T Racer is something I take huge pride in owning.

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Sat May 20, 2017 10:24 am

On the subject of rider aids, they're not for me. I understand why they are on new bikes and the safety aspect for new riders BUT, for me, I want to ride the bike and have to be gentle with my inputs. Not just throttle but brakes, clutch and my movement on the bike too. If I think the road conditions have changed, then I'll adjust my riding to suit, I don't expect or want, for that matter, the bike to do the work for me. I get great pleasure out of riding when conditions change and I have to alter my riding style.
"02 Yamaha XJR 1300SP in Kenny Roberts Yellow - (bought new)
"18 BMW S1000R Sports - (bought new)

"11 Porsche Boxster 987 S Black Edition No.261 of 987

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Sat May 20, 2017 1:44 pm

And this is why the price of 'old' or 'analogue' bikes is rising. Lots of people want the same, but alongside a modern bike.
Same with lots of things in this modern world.

slparry

Postby slparry » Sat May 20, 2017 5:14 pm

having said that, I quite like having traction and ABS on a wet day on a 200hp S1000RR :D
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Return to “Boxerbanter”