Drivers on phones!

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

kfrogzx7

Re: Drivers on phones!

Postby kfrogzx7 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:10 pm

HarrisBikeNut wrote:Agree that the size of a fine needs to be raised BUT it will still be meaningless if the chances of getting caught remain low,

Sorry HarrisBikeNut but I've got to be a bit harsh with you here :

I suppose you can't expect a teacher of 38 years standing to understand my "market forces" approach to the problem !! :roll:
The penalty won't be "meaningless" if it's high enough, even if only ten drivers throughout the country are convicted each year, it will act as a severe deterrent.
If £1000 isn't enough, well it could be raised ... £2000 per offence for example.

Look, the chances of you being caught watching, through binoculars, the teenage neighbour undressing in her bedroom from your darkened upstairs room are extremely small, but the consequences of being caught and then branded a paedophile are life shatteringly enormous ...... therefore, quite literally only a madman would contemplate doing such a thing.

Er, don't ask me why I thought of that example :shock:
But surely you get the point ?
Simon.
K100rs, R1100s, R1150rs, R1200st, K1300s

HarrisBikeNut

Postby HarrisBikeNut » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:41 pm

Simon, in principle, I don't disagree with your basic premise but I am sorry it is the chance of being caught that, for me, is the fundamental issue. I suppose I might use a reverse idea if the lottery. Some people enter despite the fact that the chances of winning are so unlikely BUT the rewards are huge. Others don't bother because the chances of winning are so remote......
Does society, in sufficient numbers, regard using a phone as "socially unacceptable"? Will it ever? I am not sure.....
2003 Randy Mamola BCR
2004 K1200LT
2003 Multistrada 1000
CB500S (sold)
ZZR1100 project.
1995 K1100RS

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of fight in the dog!"

fontana

Postby fontana » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:19 pm

HarrisBikeNut wrote:Does society, in sufficient numbers, regard using a phone as "socially unacceptable"? Will it ever? I am not sure.....

That's back to the point I made, and yes I believe it will eventually.

Jeff Highland

Postby Jeff Highland » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:57 am

Driving next to a young woman today in flowing traffic, phone propped on the steering wheel, texting,
Baby in capsule in the back........
Disgusting

Return to “Boxerbanter”