Helping Fellow Bikers

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

BoxerCup R

Helping Fellow Bikers

Postby BoxerCup R » Mon May 29, 2017 6:55 am

I was with the XJR club for our annual weekend in Wales this bank holiday weekend. So, Sat night after our excellent ride out we were all showered and changed about ready to go into the restaurant at Ty Morgans. A German biker walked in asking if there was a room but unfortunately there wasn't. I'd overheard him asking the landlady so I followed him out and there was two of them and they hadn't booked up front, although never having a problem before they were struggling to find a bed for tonight. I told them the other pubs and hotels in Rhayader and they thanked me and set off to try and find a room, it was 20:15. When I went back inside Ty Morgans I asked the landlady if there was anywhere else, B&B's etc outside Rhayader, there wasn't really but she did say she had notice of a possible cancellation for a double room through Booking.com but could not release the room until 21:00. I shot out the hotel and ran down the street to catch the two guys. I explained the situation about the room and they said they will come back off they had no luck. They appeared later in the bar and were very grateful for the help and Claus insisted we swap numbers and I must get in touch next time I'm down their way near Frankfurt and there will always be a cold beer in his fridge for me :oops: I was happy to help and thats the beauty of our worldwide biking community, our solidarity and friendship to complete strangers :cool:
"02 Yamaha XJR 1300SP in Kenny Roberts Yellow - (bought new)
"18 BMW S1000R Sports - (bought new)

"11 Porsche Boxster 987 S Black Edition No.261 of 987

madthemad

Re: Helping Fellow Bikers

Postby madthemad » Mon May 29, 2017 8:01 am

Well done that man. :salute:
Nil Desperandum

fontana

Postby fontana » Mon May 29, 2017 6:03 pm

BoxerCup R wrote:thats the beauty of our worldwide biking community, our solidarity and friendship to complete strangers :cool:

Sorry but I think it's overrated.

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Mon May 29, 2017 7:16 pm

fontana wrote:
BoxerCup R wrote:thats the beauty of our worldwide biking community, our solidarity and friendship to complete strangers :cool:

No problem. I go on my own experiences not what I read or hear. Since 1981 I have had more pleasant experiences with fellow bikers than not :wink:

fontana

Postby fontana » Mon May 29, 2017 8:17 pm

BoxerCup R wrote:
fontana wrote:

No problem. I go on my own experiences not what I read or hear. Since 1981 I have had more pleasant experiences with fellow bikers than not :wink:

I think there is merit in what you say, but it's not a given.
You only have to go onto bike forums to see how much prejudice and resentment there is between certain groups.
I've often noticed the atmosphere in some bike destinations - cafe's, can be really weird sometimes.
No chat, just glowering, simmering resentment between pretty much everyone there.
The enduro mob covered in crap, the Cruiser guys, the Sportsbike riders, all muttering derogatory comments about the others into their coffee mugs.
To be fair I think this attitude is far less prevalent in mainland Europe, but certainly in the UK, biking has been taken over by a new breed of people who see themselves as superior to everyone else.
I recently took an R NINE T racer out for a test ride from my local dealer.
I was doing about 70mph on a dual carriageway when I noticed a bike closing on me fast from behind.
He hung back for a while, and then drew alongside me (ZZR1100), and started eyeing up the bike over his left shoulder.
I gave him a nod, at which point he gave me the wanker sign and tore off.
Not a common occurrence, and it's never happened to me before, but more and more these days I find it hard to accept that the biking brotherhood still exists.
I too started riding in 1982, and back then I remember even as a learner on my little 100cc, other riders gave me a wave.
Can you imagine that happening now.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Mon May 29, 2017 8:43 pm

I am a good Samaritan at Heart but can quite easily be a total arse if I am in the mood, some days I would help and others I would walk on by thinking fcuk you motherfcuker.

:)

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Neil178

Postby Neil178 » Mon May 29, 2017 9:04 pm

Did I read that right?
He would give you a cheap supermarket beer from his fridge but too tight to buy you a beer in the restaurant for your help?
What am I missing?

Jeff Highland

Postby Jeff Highland » Mon May 29, 2017 11:50 pm

I'd like to think that I (and BoxerCup R) would have helped any traveller in need regardless of their mode of transport.
There is too much petty and arbitrary tribalism in society.

I don't feel much in common with the noisy trailbike riding teenagers speeding past me on the WALKING Trail, or the Harley riders in gang colours with their sense of brotherhood.

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Tue May 30, 2017 5:08 am

Neil178 wrote:Did I read that right?
He would give you a cheap supermarket beer from his fridge but too tight to buy you a beer in the restaurant for your help?
What am I missing?

Mmmm, you didn't read me saying "He never offered me a beer in the pub that night", no. He was very grateful and insisted he bought me a beer but I was with 15 other people and in a round and had a full glass of wine so thanked him but politely refused his offer and I didn't do it to receive anything in return but thanks for trying to find a negative to the story :roll:

kfrogzx7

Postby kfrogzx7 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:19 pm

I stopped to help a fellow biker the other day near Harlow, she was a pretty blonde girl who'd come off her R6 on gravel in the centre of a main road. She was unhurt and her bike was just about ride-able ( bent brake lever ), she was with a bloke on an R1 and her ( also very pretty ) brunette friend on an MV F4 !!!
I didn't regret stopping to help her !!! :D
Simon.
K100rs, R1100s, R1150rs, R1200st, K1300s

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Tue May 30, 2017 1:25 pm

And then you woke up.... :D

Herb

Postby Herb » Tue May 30, 2017 1:56 pm

Definitely take him up on his offer Mr Boxercup R. Good beer and good roads down that way. The Germans are very hospitable.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

Herb

Postby Herb » Tue May 30, 2017 2:00 pm

kfrogzx7 wrote:I stopped to help a fellow biker the other day near Harlow, she was a pretty blonde girl who'd come off her R6 on gravel in the centre of a main road. She was unhurt and her bike was just about ride-able ( bent brake lever ), she was with a bloke on an R1 and her ( also very pretty ) brunette friend on an MV F4 !!!
I didn't regret stopping to help her !!! :D

Reminds me of when I stopped once to help two very good looking girls change a wheel on their car. The trouble was, I was in my car on the way back from a cycling time trial and had not changed. I got out of the car wearing day-glo, skin tight lycra (I don't look good in lycra!), smelly and sweaty, and had changed back into my work shoes, no socks, so I could drive properly. I looked a right sight, I could tell the girls where wishing someone 'normal' had stopped to help instead.
********Jim********

---------------------------

2006 'Colgate' R1200s

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Tue May 30, 2017 4:21 pm

I did my bit today. Coming home after a run out, came across four Dutch guys on assorted steeds (one GS).....two of them had collided and come off. One had broken his arm and wrist, plus multiple cuts and bruises. The other, his son (on a Bimota, DB10 I think) had minor cuts and grazes, but was very shaken, as you would be. Anyway, ambulance called, bit of traffic direction.....bikes retrieved to a farm track out of the way....a few calls made....managed to get the damaged bikes taken to a safe place for them pending sorting out recovery back to Holland, found them a hotel to stay in a couple of miles from the hospital where their mate will no doubt be spending the night....phone numbers and eMail addresses exchanged....all good! :)

It felt good being able to help, although I think they'd have managed pretty well without me as they, like most of the Dutch I've met, spoke very good English.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

kfrogzx7

Postby kfrogzx7 » Tue May 30, 2017 5:33 pm

milleplod wrote:I did my bit today. Coming home after a run out, came across four Dutch guys on assorted steeds (one GS).....two of them had collided and come off. One had broken his arm and wrist, plus multiple cuts and bruises. The other, his son (on a Bimota, DB10 I think) had minor cuts and grazes, but was very shaken, as you would be. Anyway, ambulance called, bit of traffic direction.....bikes retrieved to a farm track out of the way....a few calls made....managed to get the damaged bikes taken to a safe place for them pending sorting out recovery back to Holland, found them a hotel to stay in a couple of miles from the hospital where their mate will no doubt be spending the night....phone numbers and eMail addresses exchanged....all good! :)

It felt good being able to help, although I think they'd have managed pretty well without me as they, like most of the Dutch I've met, spoke very good English.

Pete

Well done Pete, you're a hero.
Feel sorry for them though, holiday ruined :cry:
Simon.
K100rs, R1100s, R1150rs, R1200st, K1300s

Return to “Boxerbanter”