Warning

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

slparry

Warning

Postby slparry » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:26 pm

Heads up all, stating what may be obvious to many but if it is bear with me ;)

A customer was having problems with his K12GT on the weekend, appeared to have a puncture and didn't have a pump. The workshop was closed up but I opened up and started the compressor so we could pump up his tyre.

Then the awful truth showed itself. He'd left a 90 degree valve extender on and the extra weight under centrifugal force had split his tyre valve in half.

Do NOT be tempted to leave these extenders on the valve, use them, then remove and pop into the glove box for future use.

He was lucky it hadn't had a catastrophic deflation!
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

fontana

Re: Warning

Postby fontana » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:16 pm

Blimey.
Do the suppliers warn you about this.
If not then there would be an iron clad case for a claim.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:10 am

I was warned about using those dust caps which show when the pressure drops for the very same reason
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:43 am

dave the german wrote:I was warned about using those dust caps which show when the pressure drops for the very same reason

A friend had a pair of these fitted on his VFR. On a run out to Bala, he got a flat rear tyre - we assumed he'd picked a nail or similar up. We were only about 200yds from a garage, so we turned round and headed back to it. On checking, we found that the complete centre of the cap had blown out! :shock: Fortunately we were on a slow bit of road through a village when it happened, but a few minutes earlier we'd been 'making progress', and the result there might have been a bit different.

His Mrs had spotted the caps on a car boot stall and bought them for him, brand new, still packaged.....but cheap shite, obviously!

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Hay Ewe^

Postby Hay Ewe^ » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:48 am

fontana wrote:Blimey.

seriously?
you need a warning for this?

If you can, gete some caps for aircraft. They are metal with o-rings in them, extra sealing.
Just be sure to remove then when you take wheels in for new tires, they usually dont come back... grrr

slparry

Postby slparry » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:08 am

Hay Ewe^ wrote:
fontana wrote:Blimey.

seriously?

If you can, gete some caps for aircraft. They are metal with o-rings in them, extra sealing.
Just be sure to remove then when you take wheels in for new tires, they usually dont come back... grrr

as is oft said, common sense is less common nowadays. I guess the blame falls at the American legal system driving the claim mentality mindset
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

fontana

Postby fontana » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:59 pm

Hay Ewe^ wrote:[seriously?

I've never done it myself, so no, but this whole thread was started by the OP as a warning was it not.
:roll:

Hay Ewe^ wrote:[If you can, gete some caps for aircraft. They are metal with o-rings in them, extra sealing.

Not sure if you actually read the opening thread, but this issue here was fitting angled tyre valves.
Nothing to do with the sealing of the valves.
Just the weight imbalance caused.
:?

Hay Ewe^

Postby Hay Ewe^ » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:22 pm

yes, I did read and was aware about the angled fittings.
I have one and keep it in the tool tray on my GS for when at servo's that have a straight connection.

I added the part about the metal dust caps to add info and share knowledge

Return to “Boxerbanter”