Glad I don't work in a dealers

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

fontana

Glad I don't work in a dealers

Postby fontana » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:53 pm

Was chatting to a guy earlier today who had just bought a new R1200R
He was most upset with it.
One of the header pipes has discoloured more than the other, which to him means there is a catastrophic problem with the engine.
I couldn't see it myself, but he pointed it out and the difference was so miniscule I would never have noticed it.
I can't imagine how obsessive you'd have to be to notice the tiny bit of extra blueing on one side.
He's adamant the bike is faulty.
It's his first BMW and as far as he is concerned they are a heap of trouble, and he went on about how he wished he'd stuck with Honda.
:shock:

Herb

Re: Glad I don't work in a dealers

Postby Herb » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:43 pm

He's joined the world of the modern day BMW owner, where obsessing over the colour (in my case the exact shade of brown) of your exhaust pipes is quite normal.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:52 pm

I agree - fancy dealing with someone that obsessive - He's possibly right and maybe the throttle bodies need a little bit of balancing but he probably need to get out more.

I must admit I kept my R1100s really well when I sold it after 5 years it was darn near as good as it was when I bought it. Spent my life cleaning it between rides.

I now find that I don't get the pleasure out of fettling that I did several years ago and now I just ride it and clean it with car shampoo and a variety or brushes - then blow out the water from nooks and crannies using a leaf blower- To finish off spray the damp bike with Demon shine and then leather it off. (Demon shine also gets rid of bugs off the screen and visor as soon as you get in from a ride - buy it on e bay in a 4 litre plastic can and its about £12 as opposed the £5 or £6 per litre in the pump action bottle. Sometimes I just rub the wheels over to get rid of dirt and dust using WD 40 and micro fibre duster but as for taking of the headers and polishing them on a buffing wheel - not for me thanks.

Duck oil is also a great cleaner for the engine casings and leaves a nice sheen.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:19 am

Shiny header pipes attached to any engine discolour differently. What a Fud :) I am not a metallurgist but I know how heat energy effects metal tubing and bent tubing at that. The blueing is an oxidising process. it is forming patina ie it`s own protective coating. Getting obsessive with polishing your headers seems a bit of a pointless pursuit as does wrapping them , Having clean ones free from corrosion is good enough for me.

I suspect the Dealers are used to dealing with such concerns from punters. If I were to hazard a guess where such perceptions come from I would say past publications of the BMW Club mag.

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

fontana

Postby fontana » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:05 pm

boxerscott wrote: If I were to hazard a guess where such perceptions come from I would say past publications of the BMW Club mag.

Chris

I've been thinking about joining them

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:06 pm

fontana wrote:
boxerscott wrote: If I were to hazard a guess where such perceptions come from I would say past publications of the BMW Club mag.

Chris

I assumed you already were from the decals on your K1100RS's panniers ;)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:14 pm

On the Boxers one of the cylinders runs leaner than the other one indicated by the colour. They all do that. He won't understand :mrgreen:
'Let me check my concernometer.'

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:17 pm

we have a customer who's had a bad garage fill and has had water in his fuel. He's a long way away and the local dealer has diagnosed water in the tank, the dealer has ascertained that the tank is not compromised and that it's a one off bad fill (by sending one of their techs out one a 70 mile ride in the pouring rain, however the customer now wants to reject the bike <sigh> has been highly abusive, has slammed the phone down 3 times on BMW customer service. We're trying to do all we can but between the foul language and personal abuse we have to be professional and give good legal advice. But of course the dealers are always the evil empire ;)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

fontana

Postby fontana » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:34 pm

slparry wrote:
fontana wrote:

Chris

I assumed you already were from the decals on your K1100RS's panniers ;)

Previous owner was.
Not me
I just left the stickers on
:lol:

fontana

Postby fontana » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:50 pm

When I was in my local dealers last, a bloke and his wife were in there letting rip about how unhappy they were about the vibrating footpegs on their XR1000
It was very embarrassing for everyone else in there, especially customers in the Café like me, just in there to enjoy a quiet coffee and read of the papers.
From what I could gather, the workshop couldn't find anything wrong, but this couple were having none of it.
The Wife was shouting the loudest..
Now I understand that complaints are something all dealers have to deal with, but I couldn't help thinking that they should have a procedure in place whereby they can take the customer out of the showroom, and into a private office somewhere.
I understand that everyone has a right to complain, but I could never deal with a couple of loud mouthed idiots like these two.

Return to “Boxerbanter”