Must be Getting Old - Time for Pipe and Slippers

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Grip Fast

Must be Getting Old - Time for Pipe and Slippers

Postby Grip Fast » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:51 pm

Took the Tiger 800 for a service and MoT yesterday, and on the phone I had heard, "we'll let you try a Street Triple while it's in". So imagine my initial disappointment when they wheeled out a Street Twin. "Ah OK", I said not really filled with enthusiasm. I imagined going to the nearest cafe and trying to make a coffee last four hours until the "it's ready" call.

After the Tiger, it felt like sitting on a child's bicycle at first, and the tiny mirrors didn't seem like they'd be much use. As I bounded out of the car park, surprised by its eagerness and proper bike sound (i.e. Parallel big twin from the sixties), the low speed handling felt odd.

So a gentle pootle to the nearest cafe became a little more energetic as I discovered the joy of winding it on hard (it is relative) out of corners, listening to the sixties sound track, and relishing the way it pulled really quite well. The cafe stop became quite short, and I took the photo below and headed off for the countryside.

This is a basic bike with basic suspension, which I thought at first was going to upset the ride, but actually didn't. But enjoy riding the torque out of bends, keeping at (mostly) legal speeds, and find the right gear (only 5 to choose from) for the next corner and it is a huge amount of fun. The four hours went very quickly and I used up a tank of petrol, and didn't want to take it back.

I am absolutely certain I wouldn't have enjoyed the Street Triple as much. This was a real motorbike experience that I remember from my youth (BSA and Matchless 650). Proper sound and proper grunt, but no oil leak, and brakes that work, though I didn't need to touch them very often with the engine braking.

I want one (to go with the BMW scrambler and the F800R that I also want from previous test rides). It's great when a prejudice is proven wrong. :D

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (464.35 KiB) Viewed 4723 times

fontana

Re: Must be Getting Old - Time for Pipe and Slippers

Postby fontana » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:39 pm

I had the same experience riding a Moto Guzzi V7.
Only 50bhp, but one of the most fun bikes I have ever ridden.
I felt the same way about the old model Thruxton.
This is a bike which has taken quite a lot of stick from the press for being all show and no go, but I thought it was absolutely brilliant.
The best bike (in terms of pure fun), I have ever ridden was back in 1996, when I had a go on a Ducati 750SS.
Again, even by the standards of the day, very modest in terms of output.
The problem with a lot of modern bikes, is that they make everything so easy to the point where sometimes you feel like you could sit back, roll a fag and let the bike ride itself.
Bikes like the one's that are the subject of this thread, make you work for it, and therein lies the real pleasure of riding them.
In a word.
Involving.

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:00 pm

fontana wrote:I had the same experience riding a Moto Guzzi V7.
Only 50bhp, but one of the most fun bikes I have ever ridden.
I felt the same way about the old model Thruxton.
This is a bike which has taken quite a lot of stick from the press for being all show and no go, but I thought it was absolutely brilliant.
The best bike (in terms of pure fun), I have ever ridden was back in 1996, when I had a go on a Ducati 750SS.
Again, even by the standards of the day, very modest in terms of output.
The problem with a lot of modern bikes, is that they make everything so easy to the point where sometimes you feel like you could sit back, roll a fag and let the bike ride itself.
Bikes like the one's that are the subject of this thread, make you work for it, and therein lies the real pleasure of riding them.
In a word.
Involving.

Agreed.

The service chap said I should try the 1200 (T120) version because it has even more grunt. I will, but I'm not sure it will be any more fun. I've been lusting after a Ducati 900SS/SuperLight recently (I might get over it soon), but maybe a 750SS would be the one to really float my boat. Too many bikes to own, not enough (any :cry: ) garage space. In the next life, I want a garage like Jay Leno.

fontana

Postby fontana » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:13 pm

Grip Fast wrote: I've been lusting after a Ducati 900SS/SuperLight recently (I might get over it soon), but maybe a 750SS would be the one to really float my boat.

I've never ridden the 900, so can't comment but I remember a lot of reviewers at the time were saying that despite the 750's lack of power, it was a better road bike than the 900.
Finding a nice one is tough though.
Ducati quality of finish was a bit hit and miss back then.
I've had my eye on this one, but sadly can't get hold of the reddies.
I reckon it's worth every penny for what the buyer will get out of it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-750SS- ... SwlY1ZN~WE

Mitch1100

Postby Mitch1100 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:51 pm

[quote="Grip Fast"]
So a gentle pootle to the nearest cafe...

Outed yerself :lol:
Attachments
991f9ea10e104cb70c47e6c77ad2842b.jpg
991f9ea10e104cb70c47e6c77ad2842b.jpg (49.3 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
2009 HP2 Sport...sold
2006 R1200s with yellow rim tape
2008 Ducati Monster S4RS Tricolore..sold
2004 R1100s BoxerCup Replika..sold
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318/600

Mitch1100

Postby Mitch1100 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:43 pm

Having a coffee yesterday at my local shop and in comes a brand new Triumph 900 street twin...very nicely finished..couldn't work out access to radiator though, must be under tank.
2009 HP2 Sport...sold
2006 R1200s with yellow rim tape
2008 Ducati Monster S4RS Tricolore..sold
2004 R1100s BoxerCup Replika..sold
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318/600

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:20 am

Haha, I'm flattered, Mitch. More like below (a cartoon I did after I realised that, once again, I get hair in my eyes if it's not trimmed regularly).

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (86.28 KiB) Viewed 4080 times

Can't comment on the radiator, I didn't look that closely.

popsky

Postby popsky » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:40 pm

Grip Fast wrote:Haha, I'm flattered, Mitch. More like below (a cartoon I did after I realised that, once again, I get hair in my eyes if it's not trimmed regularly).

image.jpeg

Can't comment on the radiator, I didn't look that closely.

Now even I can see that's a good likeness :mrgreen: but what's happened to your right ear !!! It's really grown since you were 14 :lol:
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

Return to “Boxerbanter”