fontana

TV programme alert.

Postby fontana » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:35 pm

For all you bearded, bespectacled check shirt wearing, coffee fanciers

Thursday, 9pm
Quest.

CAFE RACER: NAKED SPEED

15. June, Made In Metal & Revival

Neil transforms a BSA into a classic café racer and tests it at the fabled Brighton Speed Trials. In Texas, shop owners Stetson and Allen build a Ducati I63.

http://www.questtv.co.uk/tv-listings/

Grip Fast

Re: TV programme alert.

Postby Grip Fast » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:58 pm

For all you bearded [not since it went white], bespectacled [yes] check shirt wearing [the one my wife bought me - yes], coffee fanciers [can't operate until I've had my first coffee]

Seems like I come close.

Thanks for the heads-up, fontana. Cheers. :D

[Edit] just checked, and I don't think Quest is working on our old telly - it's listed but no picture or sound, even after a rescan :cry:

fontana

Postby fontana » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:58 am

Grip Fast wrote:just checked, and I don't think Quest is working on our old telly - it's listed but no picture or sound, even after a rescan :cry:

Sorry to hear that.
Quest is a pretty good channel for motoring stuff.
I'll be watching it
I admire people who can do great things with old hacks.
That's the essence of the REAL Café Racer.

fontana

Postby fontana » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:11 pm

It was an interesting programme.
Sad to see what appeared to be a mint BSA Gold Star get chopped up and turned into a hideous hybrid bobber café racer monstrosity, but that seems to be the remit of the Café Racer builder.
Take nice bikes, chop them up and ruin them.
Pleased to report a good showing of big beards.
At one point I thought I might of accidentally switched to a planet of the apes film.
Worth watching.
:D

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:51 am

fontana wrote:It was an interesting programme.
Sad to see what appeared to be a mint BSA Gold Star get chopped up and turned into a hideous hybrid bobber café racer monstrosity, but that seems to be the remit of the Café Racer builder.
Take nice bikes, chop them up and ruin them.

Pleased to report a good showing of big beards.
At one point I thought I might of accidentally switched to a planet of the apes film.
Worth watching.

Again, just your opinion. The people who turn out these bikes like them, lots of people do. I don't see anything objectionable in them, its personal choice/freedom of expression. Horses for courses, eh? :wink:

Now, you've stated your opinion, I've stated mine. They're different, which I can accept. Shall we leave it at that? :)

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

fontana

Postby fontana » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:42 am

milleplod wrote:Again, just your opinion. The people who turn out these bikes like them, lots of people do. I don't see anything objectionable in them, its personal choice/freedom of expression. Horses for courses, eh? :wink:

Now, you've stated your opinion, I've stated mine. They're different, which I can accept. Shall we leave it at that? :)

Pete

Yes of course, just my opinion.
It was his bike, so he can do what he wants with it.
I recently posted up a photo of an R1200S that had been converted into a Scrambler with knobbly tyres.
Plenty of people expressed how hideous it was.
Now that we're on the subject, why does my negative opinion on other people's taste in bikes attract the wrath o this forum, when other people can say whatever they like without even raising an eyebrow.
Not being argumentative.
Just wondering why.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22239&p=183565&hilit=R1200S+Scrambler#p183565

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:47 am

I have no problem with you expressing your opinions, I just have an issue when constantly try to shout down anyone who expresses an opinion which is not fully aligned with yours. They are opinions. By definition, none of them are 100% exclusively correct.

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

fontana

Postby fontana » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:22 am

Paul wrote:I have no problem with you expressing your opinions, I just have an issue when constantly try to shout down anyone who expresses an opinion which is not fully aligned with yours. They are opinions. By definition, none of them are 100% exclusively correct.

Paul

OK I'm glad we cleared that up.
So that means the same rule applies to me.
If I express a bike related opinion, even a negative one, then I can do so without being challenged over it by anyone.
Hmmmm
My opinions are always challenged.
The problems always arise when I dare to answer back.
When that happens, I'm the one accused of being argumentative.
Oh well.
:?

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:42 am

There is a difference between expressing a different opinion, which is perfectly reasonable, and challenging others to justify their differing opinions to you, which is when the threads start to degenerate into bickering.

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:05 am

fontana wrote:OK I'm glad we cleared that up.
So that means the same rule applies to me.
If I express a bike related opinion, even a negative one, then I can do so without being challenged over it by anyone.
Hmmmm
My opinions are always challenged.

The problems always arise when I dare to answer back.
When that happens, I'm the one accused of being argumentative.
Oh well.
:?

But why wouldn't they be, up to a point?

Below is an example of how differing opinions can meet head-on....and then the members posting them just carry on, no animosity, no ill-feeling, no arguments. The problem occurs when someone feels the need to go on and on.....and on.....and on......about their opinion, and insist that others explain/justify theirs. There's no need for it, especially when you accept that most people are very entrenched in their viewpoints by the time they've started posting on here!

fontana wrote:
milleplod wrote:
Again, just your opinion. The people who turn out these bikes like them, lots of people do. I don't see anything objectionable in them, its personal choice/freedom of expression. Horses for courses, eh? :wink:

Pete

Yes of course, just my opinion.
It was his bike, so he can do what he wants with it.
I recently posted up a photo of an R1200S that had been converted into a Scrambler with knobbly tyres.
Plenty of people expressed how hideous it was.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

fontana

Postby fontana » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:15 am

I think it's worth remembering that it always takes at least two people to have an argument.
If the argument continues at length, then is it right to blame just one person, when in fact at least two are taking part.
Now of course if you answer that question and challenge me, and I answer back with and disagree with you, it will be me accused of being argumentative.
I guarantee it.
This is where the double standards lie.

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:20 am

The thread I related to above didn't end acrimoniously at all. You gave your opinion, I gave mine. We left it at that. You could have gone on about it, so could I. We didn't, we respected each other's position on the topic. I hope its a sign of things to come. :D

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

fontana

Postby fontana » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:23 pm

milleplod wrote:The thread I related to above didn't end acrimoniously at all. You gave your opinion, I gave mine. We left it at that. You could have gone on about it, so could I. We didn't, we respected each other's position on the topic. I hope its a sign of things to come. :D

Pete

True, although as I said, a few people here do agree with me, as this thread shows.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22239&p=183565&hilit=R1200S+Scrambler#p183565

Sufficed to say, I will be watching the programme next week to see what beautiful old classic these hipsters take an angle grinder too next.
:(

Return to “Boxerbanter”