Drool

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

fontana

Drool

Postby fontana » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:56 pm

I used to have one of these about 4 years ago,
Like sitting on one end of an ironing board holding onto a broom stick at the other end, but boy was it fun.
If you think the 9T racer is uncompromising, you should try one of these.
The BMW is like an RT in comparison.
Probably the best bike I've owned in terms of character and soul.
I had the Sport Corsa injection limited edition.
Bought it for £4,500
Sole it a year later for £3,800.
If I had it now, I'd be likely asking more like 8 grand.
I've made so many selling mistakes over the years, and this was probably my biggest.
Should have kept it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moto-Guzzi-11 ... SwiONYPHnZ

milleplod

Re: Drool

Postby milleplod » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:42 pm

I had a ride on a carb one many moons ago, when I had an RF900 - the seller wanted to do a straight swap, from memory. God, the throttle was heavy! It felt like it needed both hands to operate it. I didn't go for it, because, at the time, I was in a sort of 'UJM' mindset - something with a thumping great twin pounding away underneath me was totally alien. I think I needed a much longer ride on it to 'acclimatise' to it - when I bought my first Mille, I'd had a 4 hour ride on a demo one, and was hooked, but I think if they'd only let me have it for 15 minutes, it would've been a different story.

I want a Guzzi, I really do....off to look at them on eBay right now.... :lol:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

fontana

Postby fontana » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:47 pm

The later injected bikes were a vast improvement.
Guzzi's today are superb bikes.
The 8V engines, especially, although the early one's had top end problems, now sorted.
This is what I'd have if buying one now.
The old 2 valve push rod engine which has bags of character.
Well built, totally reliable and huge fun.
This one looks very well looked after with some useful accessories.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTO-GUZZI-GR ... Swi1tZY88o

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:08 am

That's really nice, I like it. :) I can't really justify 2 bikes at the moment though, much as I'd like to, so for the time being I'll just have to keep drooling! I reckon by the end of the year though, I might be treating myself.... :D

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:39 am

Now that I like, maybe if I had the room for another bike..... They had one in Balderstons last year when I was in picking up a new shaft for the 12S. Seemed a good price for it as well.
10 KTM RC8

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:07 am

Fontana pm'd me some very useful info on Guzzis a while back....feeling was that at 6' 2", I might not fit a Griso very well. Am I bothered though, them being so gorgeous?! :D A 1200 Sport might be a better choice - especially at winter prices.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Joe Bar

Postby Joe Bar » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:59 pm

I've had a Griso 8V and a 1200 Sport. The Griso was the much nicer bike of the two.

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:06 pm

Joe Bar wrote:I've had a Griso 8V and a 1200 Sport. The Griso was the much nicer bike of the two.

How did the Griso fit you? I'm 6' 2" with a 33" inside leg......

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

fontana

Postby fontana » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:48 pm

The Griso is one of those bikes that initially will feel awkward and un natural, but, much like a new pair of jeans, they seem to feel a lot better after a bit of use.
Bit like my 9T
:lol:
I'm 5ft 10 with 31* inside leg and it was good for me.
I would have thought a taller rider would fit the bike better.
This may be relevant

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/ind ... WuYkk2Wzrc

GRAgusta

Postby GRAgusta » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:43 pm

WTF

I'm 5ft 5 .... and feel that height is an issue for buying a bike. If it is too tall I fall over when I stop.

Why are people more generously disposed in inches getting so het up about thier bike choice, if you like it ride it :evil:
Gawaine

2003 R1100S
2007 MV Agusta F4 1000R
2013 Ducati Diavel Hers
2023 Motorrad R1250RS SE

2020 911 992 C2SC

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:57 pm

GRAgusta wrote:WTF

I'm 5ft 5 .... and feel that height is an issue for buying a bike. If it is too tall I fall over when I stop.

Why are people more generously disposed in inches getting so het up about thier bike choice, if you like it ride it :evil:

I like monkey bikes. I like going on long rides. I like to be, relatively speaking, comfortable when I ride. Therefore it follows that, at 6' 2", I won't be buying a monkey bike, other than to put in my conservatory to admire. :lol:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:03 pm

fontana wrote:The Griso is one of those bikes that initially will feel awkward and un natural, but, much like a new pair of jeans, they seem to feel a lot better after a bit of use.
Bit like my 9T
:lol:
I'm 5ft 10 with 31* inside leg and it was good for me.
I would have thought a taller rider would fit the bike better.
This may be relevant

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/ind ... WuYkk2Wzrc

a couple of weeks ago I left work on our demo R9T Sport to meet a mate for a bite to eat at a local bike meet in Whitchurch on a Thursday evening. Down the A41 in heavy traffic it was purgatory. However, on the way home on empty roads it was sublime at "making progress". :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:05 pm

I have had an 8v Griso. It steered like a cow, suspension was awful, forks went one way, swingarm t`other. It was ghastly on anything other than smooth sweeping roads. Looks bloody fantastic though and good build quality. I can not imagine any of the big guzzis to be any better. The smaller mid weight guzzis are a different kettle of fish by all accounts.

Big guzzis do not handle very well at all. Don`t take my word for it see for yourself :(
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

fontana

Postby fontana » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:36 pm

boxerscott wrote:I have had an 8v Griso. It steered like a cow, suspension was awful, forks went one way, swingarm t`other. It was ghastly on anything other than smooth sweeping roads. Looks bloody fantastic though and good build quality. I can not imagine any of the big guzzis to be any better. The smaller mid weight guzzis are a different kettle of fish by all accounts.

Big guzzis do not handle very well at all. Don`t take my word for it see for yourself :(

I find that interesting, and totally contradictory to my experience.
In fact I'm going to stick my neck out and say that the Griso, was as good, and in some respects better than the 9T.
You won't find a bad review.
On the subject of size.

GRAgusta wrote:WTF

I'm 5ft 5 .... and feel that height is an issue for buying a bike. If it is too tall I fall over when I stop. Why are people more generously disposed in inches getting so het up about thier bike choice, if you like it ride it :evil::(

I was down at a local bike meet the other day, and met a guy who loved my Racer.
He must have been at least 6ft 5" and built like a brick out house.
Not fat.
Just huge like a heavyweight boxer.
He had a sit on my 9T, and looked utterly ridiculous on it.
Even his own GSX1400 looked quite comical with him on board.
Being a big fugger can be a real handicap when it comes to bikes.

Ekimyrf

Postby Ekimyrf » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:19 pm

I have a 2v Griso (black) that is my soul bike that I will never part with save to give to my son, disagree re them not handling the chassis is very good but you have to spend time setting them up, the rear shock is over damped and under sprung (set for a 70kg rider) and has a short stroke. The fix is a Matris shock replacement, front can be set up but really should be revalved to get the best out of it. They are set up really crashy and stiff from the factory.

I am still on stock suspension but have tweaked extensivly it so I can really chuck it around. Will be getting mine set up suspension wise by Maxton over next year as I will be keeping this bike (replacing shocks on my R1100s this year)

Also the bars on the 1100 are horrible too flat and wide I have replaced mine with Renthall 755s and have made a big difference.

Re the seating the pegs are pretty high but as someone else mentioned once you get going you dont really notice it.

They are not a quick bike but there is something about them that motor has a heartbeat

PS an R9T would eat it for breakfast but they are as common as muck :-)

Return to “Boxerbanter”