Drool

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

slparry

Re: Drool

Postby slparry » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:29 pm

Ekimyrf wrote:I have a 2v Griso (black) that is my soul bike that I will never part with save to give to my son, disagree re them not handling the chassis is very good but you have to spend time setting them up, the rear shock is over damped and under sprung (set for a 70kg rider) and has a short stroke. The fix is a Matris shock replacement, front can be set up but really should be revalved to get the best out of it. They are set up really crashy and stiff from the factory.

I am still on stock suspension but have tweaked extensivly it so I can really chuck it around. Will be getting mine set up suspension wise by Maxton over next year as I will be keeping this bike (replacing shocks on my R1100s this year)

Also the bars on the 1100 are horrible too flat and wide I have replaced mine with Renthall 755s and have made a big difference.

Re the seating the pegs are pretty high but as someone else mentioned once you get going you dont really notice it.

They are not a quick bike but there is something about them that motor has a heartbeat

PS an R9T would eat it for breakfast but they are as common as muck :-)

Being fair, just about anything will handle if it's set up "properly/professionally" it's not unreasonable in this day and age to expect a reasonable handling level from the box
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

fontana

Postby fontana » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:02 pm

slparry wrote:Being fair, just about anything will handle if it's set up "properly/professionally" it's not unreasonable in this day and age to expect a reasonable handling level from the box

Mine handled well out of the box.
I never touched anything.
I do agree that the rear suspension is set a bit on the hard side, but that never bothered me.
It's quite typical of an Italian bike to be set up firmly.
In all fairness, I think that around the corners the Griso would match the 9T.
I was going to buy a new one, but the problem is that the dealer network is so sparse, and when something is under warranty, that is a major consideration.
I'm sure some will disagree, but I cannot help but think that BMW took some styling cue's from Guzzi

Joe Bar

Postby Joe Bar » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:18 pm

boxerscott wrote:Big guzzis do not handle very well at all. Don`t take my word for it see for yourself :(

I have seen for myself, and it was not my impression at all. I did a track day at Donington on my Griso SE and it never put a foot wrong, and for context I've ridden Donington on at least 10 different bikes over the years (I live 2 miles away so it's handy). On my 4v 1200 Sport I did a 4,000 mile tour of Europe taking in the Pyrenees and the Alps including the Stelvio without any sort of drama. I'd never have taken either bike if I'd any doubt in their ability to do the job.

Joe Bar

Postby Joe Bar » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:19 pm

fontana wrote:I'm sure some will disagree, but I cannot help but think that BMW took some styling cue's from Guzzi

I don't disagree, I thought that as soon as I saw the NineT as well.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:43 pm

Ok, I have got to qualify my earlier statement regards the Grisos handling, I bought it on it`s looks and believed the "character" bit, however what I forgot to mention is that I thought I could get away with it as a two up bike and my review is based around two up handling on a recent tour to the southern tip of Spain. There are very satisfying points about it but believe me Character is being polite and excusing pure handling, IT IS SHXTE. I was advised on here by people who have had a griso that the R1200r would have been a better bike for me, I am talking about the oil head one. They were right it probably is but I have the LC version now and it looks every bit as cool as the Griso but that is where the similarity ends.

Ok, I can go on a bit more The griso 8v pulls like a Saturn 5, the engine noise and standard zorst tones are sublime but honestly that engine mass and torque demand great suspension and stopping power, sadly the Griso does not have that. Anyone believing it has good handling is either not testing the motor or completely deluded. I was completely deluded and I bought the wrong bike for us. It may well be the right bike for a solo rider.

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:15 pm

Joe Bar wrote:
boxerscott wrote:Big guzzis do not handle very well at all. Don`t take my word for it see for yourself :(

I have seen for myself, and it was not my impression at all. I did a track day at Donington on my Griso SE and it never put a foot wrong, and for context I've ridden Donington on at least 10 different bikes over the years (I live 2 miles away so it's handy). On my 4v 1200 Sport I did a 4,000 mile tour of Europe taking in the Pyrenees and the Alps including the Stelvio without any sort of drama. I'd never have taken either bike if I'd any doubt in their ability to do the job.
A few laps round a smooth circuit is not a real world test no matter what your lap times were or how great a rider you are. The big heavy Griso does not handle well and that is a fact. The suspension is shxte and no amount of tweaking or replacing with Carlos Fandango bits will change that. I bought my Guzzi for its looks and was disappointed with it`s handling, suspension characteristics, I am not a fat bastxrd and my missus is not a salad dodger either. It talks the talk but can not walk the walk. There are way better roadsters out there.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

fontana

Postby fontana » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:25 pm

The more I read of your opinions the more I doubt you have spent any meaningful time on a Griso.
Either that or there was something very wrong with the bike you had.
It just doesn't make sense.
One of the Griso's strengths is it's handling.
OK it's not sports bike quick, but it has never been condemned in a road test the way you have described.
I've had 5 years and over 30,000 miles of experience, many of which was two up, so feel I am qualified to take issue.
The Griso was designed by Aprillia when they briefly owned the company, and some parts are shared with the Tuono of that era.
Forks and rear suspension for example
:roll:
The brakes are the identical Brembo set up that are used on many Ducati's and, erm, BMW's including the R1200R.
As for weight.
At 222kg it's identical to the BMW R1200R of that period.
It also happens to be the identical weight of the R NINE T
:D
Handling,
I'd be interested in reading any link from a bone fide road tester that agrees with your conclusion.
Here's what the late Kevin Ash had to say, and his review was fairly typical.

"This is Guzzi - and bike design generally - at its best".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/

Joe Bar

Postby Joe Bar » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:04 pm

boxerscott wrote:A few laps round a smooth circuit is not a real world test no matter what your lap times were or how great a rider you are. The big heavy Griso does not handle well and that is a fact. The suspension is shxte and no amount of tweaking or replacing with Carlos Fandango bits will change that. I bought my Guzzi for its looks and was disappointed with it`s handling, suspension characteristics, I am not a fat bastxrd and my missus is not a salad dodger either. It talks the talk but can not walk the walk. There are way better roadsters out there.

You are indeed correct that a "few laps around a smooth circuit is not a real world test". But, it does show up flaws pretty quickly and as a reference point for comparing other bikes to is quite valid as the riding environment is the same for all bikes.

But, a 4,000 mile tour of Europe, two up on a big Guzzi is a real world test taking in motorways, single track, mountains, hairpins, sweeping bends, passes, traffic, sun, rain, nine countries. The 1200 Sport did fine never causing me any heart stopping moments or concern from the suspension or brakes.

I have had two R1150R's and currently have a twin cam R1200R. The R1200R, once sorted, is one of the nicest bikes I've owned and definitely a superior offering than the 1200 Sport. The comparison to the R1150R is a much closer one though, the BMW scoring better in functionality, but lacking the character of the Guzzi.

I wouldn't have bought the Griso as a two up tourer, but of the three big Guzzi's I've owned was definitely the one I enjoyed most, and like Fontana I cannot recall a single test where the handling and brakes were described as lacking.

Clearly, you bought the wrong bike for your needs, but that doesn't make it a bad bike, just a bad choice, and we've all probably made a few of those in our time.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:54 pm

Agreed , it was a bad choice and not neccaasariy a bad bike. However the suspension is shite and I know that I am right. My bike was mint, unmolested, less than 5k on clock, I had it rollered before I even rode it because I knew of impending doom. I was really saddened to let it go in less than 10 months and 3k. The new owner was grinning like a Cheshire Cat when he collected it. I sold it for more than I paid for it but when you consider the rollering job and a few serviceable items it was a negative. You do not buy a Guzzi with your head. So let's not kid ourselves that they are scalpels you really have to work hard at hustling them on. They get tiresome when trying to keep up with better handling bikes in the hills. Compared to the R1200r lc it is a tractor but I guess so is the R9t :wink:. :wink:

That is not to say I would not return to the Brand, because they have some sublime styling which I like very much and yes they do play on your heart strings.

Edit. To qualify my statement on suspension , go on the Guzzi forums and see the efforts of owners who are replacing every stock suspension item , ask yourself why? No matter what you do to them you will not improve it. It was like getting rogered with a pogo stick when the surface undulated.
Fiat Panda.

fontana

Postby fontana » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:38 am

boxerscott wrote: You do not buy a Guzzi with your head. So let's not kid ourselves that they are scalpels you really have to work hard at hustling them on. They get tiresome when trying to keep up with better handling bikes in the hills. Compared to the R1200r lc it is a tractor but I guess so is the R9t :wink:. :wink:.

Nope not buying into that either.
Well OK I do agree with buying with the heart, but shouldn't that always be the case.
These are bikes after all, not bloody cars.
I'd suggest that there are probably far better purchases than the R1100S/1200R for similar money.
Anyway
I never had a problem keeping up with so called better handling bikes.
As it happens, I test rode an R1200R (old one), while I had my Griso, and no way would I have been any quicker on that, and it was as dull as a dull thing can be.
No axe to grind.
I love BMW's.
I've just bought a 9T, and love it, but is it a significant improvement over my old Griso ?
Well in a straight line, yes, but in every other respect, no.
If you cloned me, and put one of me on the Griso, and the other on a 9T, the me on the Griso would be up the 9T's chuff all the way.
Oh and as a foot note.
You can go onto any forum for pretty much any bike including BMW's and find people trying to improve / and or replace stock shocks.
Doesn't mean a thing,

fontana

Postby fontana » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:38 pm

Nice comfy option.
2v push rod engine, same as in the 1100 Griso, but a lot more practical if that's what you want.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moto-Guzzi-Br ... SwCkZZU-a8

fontana

Postby fontana » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:42 am

Just dug out a photo of my old Griso.
I really miss that bike.
I'm definitely going to get another one day.
My 9T's perfect stable mate.
In the back ground is my old K1100LT.
Another good bike that I should have kept.
When will I learn
:cry:

Ekimyrf

Postby Ekimyrf » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:36 pm

This is my good handling one

fontana

Postby fontana » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:41 pm

I see the plastic oil cooler housing cover on yours hasn't warped yet.
Most do.
Amazing
:shock:
That's the reason mine had a aluminium replacement.

Ekimyrf

Postby Ekimyrf » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:05 pm

My secret is.........i keep replacing it :-) they are only about £6
I have a stainless one but dont really like the look of it :-)

This one has lasted about 2 years now but will be ready for renewal next year as its starting to warp, the ones off the 1200 are les prone to warpage than the early 1100 ones

Return to “Boxerbanter”