bottom twitching

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

dave the german

Re: bottom twitching

Postby dave the german » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:19 am

BMW did have bikes set up with out riggers for some tests - if I recall correctly they were on the K series and feature in Mick Walkers book

BTW, pleased it turned out OK!!!
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:36 am

fontana wrote:
slparry wrote:As I understand it the electronics sensed an out of programmed situation and altered the suspension, brakes, power in order to "guide" the machine back to a pre programmed situation

None of which would make any difference if the front got plastered in oil.
In that situation, a non driven free spinning wheel is going to slide.
I think there are un realistic expectations with rider aids, and people often just assume that because they are there, they alone are responsible for preventing worse case scenario.
Traction control does have advantages.
Preventing wheel spin under power is one reason high sides are so rare these days, but we must remember that no amount of rider aids can prevent loss of traction on the front, unless one day we see two wheel drive developed.
As I said, the only way to know for sure would be to carry out a test in a controlled environment, like you often see with ABS.
One bike with rider aids, the other without, both fitted with out riggers for safety, and both ridden over an oily surface.
If after that, the bike with, is more stable and controlled, then yeah, fair enough but without hard evidence, it's all guess work.

They're aids not a panacea or autopilot. Like guns and condoms, I'd rather have one and not need them than need them and not have one :)

Two wheel drive is already quite well developed and I fully expect the R12GS LC's and others in the range to get it within a few years.

http://www.wunderlich.de/en/worldofexpe ... lc-hybrid/
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

fontana

Postby fontana » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:36 pm

dave the german wrote:BMW did have bikes set up with out riggers for some tests - if I recall correctly they were on the K series and feature in Mick Walkers book

BTW, pleased it turned out OK!!!

Blimey that's a blast from the past.
You're referring to a very old series of tests of early BMW ABS systems which I am aware of.
Yamaha did very similar tests with their first ABS system featured on the FJ1200 but that's ABS and nothing to do with rider aids.
ABS is a safety aid.
There is a difference.
A situation requiring the rider to brake hard at short notice can happen in a split second, and catch even the most experienced riders out.
When it rains, you usually get lot's of warning.
Sometimes enough to pull over to get your water proofs on.
Completely different set of circumstances where the rider has plenty of time to acclimatise and adjust riding style, (speed, throttle openings, etc)
I don't need to press a button to achieve that.
Do you ?
What pisses me off is that BMW give you all this nonsense, but will charge you £250 for heated grips.
:?

Return to “Boxerbanter”