R NINE T Racer 1,500 mile review

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

fontana

R NINE T Racer 1,500 mile review

Postby fontana » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:58 pm

Since my last thread on the subject went a bit off track and got closed, I've had a couple of PM's suggesting that some people would be interested to know more about how this bike goes.
OK firstly, I'm not really sure that owners reviews are the best source of impartial un biased opinions.
I bought it, with my hard earned, so it's bloody brilliant Goddamit
:roll:
Well it is bloody brilliant actually, but there are a few observations I have made that may be of interest to fellow BMW riders.

Engine.

It's hard to believe that this is the same engine that's used in the last air cooled ultra plush R1200RT / GS tourers.
It feels harsh and revvy, which suits the nature of the 9T, perfectly and I love it, but I don't think I'd be over the moon to have the same engine characteristics in my long haul super tourer.
I think I might find it a bit tedious, and yearn for something a bit smoother that doesn't make such a song and dance about it all.
I'd be really interested to ride the RT, to see how the identical engine feels in that bike.

Ergonomics.

Much is made in the press of the 9T Racers riding position, and most of it is correct.
The best appraisal I have read so far was in this Months Bike magazine, where they commented that the bike feels better as the roads get quicker.
They said out of the three bikes they had on test (others being the Thruxton and CB1100RS), the 9T was the most fun to ride over the mountain section of the TT.
Things only start to become uncomfortable at low speeds, particularly in town.
Again, totally agree.
Thing is, does anyone likely to choose this sort of bike, have touring and commuting abilities high on their list of priorities ?
I don't think I could have it as my only bike, and I suspect most buyers feel the same.
Oh and there is nothing you can do to adjust that position.
The bars fit into the top yoke casting, and so are not clip ons in the true sense.
Even If you could raise the them, just a few mm, would have the master cylinders collidimg with the fairing but you can't and unless BMW change the design of the top yoke and fairing, this will never be an option.
Doesn't matter.
This is a bike built purely for fun, in an authentic retro sort of way, and is all the better for it.
Funny thing is, I generally hate sports bikes, but I love this, and of course the R1100/1200S.
I think there's something rather wonderful about the Boxer twin engine in a sporting format.

Handling

OK I'm no riding guru with super sharp skills, able to make comments like "the front end never let me down" and "I was regularly able to get the back end out" etc.
What I can say is that it feels beautifully neutral, relatively slow to steer (it's no lightweight), but stable.
If like me you're not fast, but not slow either and sit somewhere in between, this bike is made for the likes of us.
It feels planted and composed in the turns, and rock stable on the higher speed straights, motorways etc.
I own a Telelever BMW too, and this feels just as stable.
I usually struggle with the racing crouch riding position.
I find it easier to string a series of tight bends together sitting more upright, like on my 1100RS, LT etc, but luckily the 9T feels just as natural.
That really surprised me initially.

Quality.

Seems pretty good.
I particularly like the way BMW have made the inside of the fairing so clean and tidy.
All you see is the elegant fairing mounting frame and even that is beautifully executed and aesthetically pleasing, without a single cable in sight
Nice.
Also, those graphics are not just stuck on top of the paint work.
They are under the clear coat.
Elegant castings abound.
No doubt about it, this is a well thought out bike.
I've read quite a few people complain about lack of USD forks on this bike, which mystifies me.
They work fine for general road riding, and don't feel at all soft.
OK so non USD forks are old fashioned, but so are the twin shocks found on the Thruxton, as opposed to single sided swingarm monoshock suspension, and no one complains about that.
Go figure
:?
Use of conventional forks of course keeps the cost down as well, speaking of which, I opted for the solid cast wheels as opposed to the wire spokes which are actually the cheaper option.
Two reasons.
Ease of cleaning, and, my passion for old school design does not extend to returning to inner tube tyres.

Owning it

Too early to comment on running costs, servicing, tyres etc but I have measured the fuel consumption a couple of times and averaged 45mpg, which is acceptable.
I read everywhere that the 9T bikes were designed to be customised, but that's not my bag at all.
I don't think the bike can be improved upon cosmetically, but I will be buying a rear hugger before Winter, and have already added a crud catcher.
That's pretty much all I have planned for the bike.
Sorry BMW
:|

Not really a lot else to say, except it needs a really good long ride to fully appreciate.
I didn't go much on it on my test ride.
Trouble was I kept seeing it in the showroom and thought, I just have to have it.
So for the first time ever, I bought a bike that I actually didn't enjoy riding first time, and I'm glad I did.
Now, every time I go out on it, I just want the ride to go on longer.

boxerscott

Re: R NINE T Racer 1,500 mile review

Postby boxerscott » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:43 pm

Good review.

Clearcoat over graphics looks great BUT ... have a scratch or scrape then mega strip job to re finish!

Chris
Last edited by boxerscott on Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:47 pm

Nice write-up, fontana. I'm going to try to borrow one for the day when I next get a major service done on the 12S.

slparry

Postby slparry » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:01 pm

I took our demo out overnight, on the crowded A41 to the bike meet at Whitchurch I hated it, it was incredibly hard work in traffic.

However, riding home from Whitchurch along the A525 at silly speed it was fantastic fun.

Definitely a focused bike and like all focused bikes hard work outside of its narrow remit
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

fontana

Postby fontana » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:49 pm

Did 90 miles on mine today.
Loved every second.
Now that I'm used to it, dare I say it, I find it reasonably comfy
:shock:

Return to “Boxerbanter”