Touring?

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Damsy

Touring?

Postby Damsy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:14 pm

I bought my 1100s (04) model about 6 years ago with the intention of visiting my dad, who lived in Spain.i never went to see him and he's back home now.
My mate has moved to southern France and we travel there in our motorhome.
I'm thinking of an adventure riding down to see him with a tent strapped on. Obviously you can see I don't get to ride my bike much nowadays. How much better is the ride with LSL bar conversion and maybe a tall screen.

nab 301

Re: Touring?

Postby nab 301 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:12 pm

Damsy wrote:II'm thinking of an adventure riding down to see him with a tent strapped on. Obviously you can see I don't get to ride my bike much nowadays. How much better is the ride with LSL bar conversion and maybe a tall screen.

For me , outside of city centre riding I feel the standard bar position below the top yoke is best. I have used barbacks at various times over the years but for a longish trip like you're planning I'd leave as is . Obviously we're all different shapes and sizes but moving the bars up can cause as many (other) problems as it solves.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

kfrogzx7

Postby kfrogzx7 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:29 pm

nab 301 wrote:
Damsy wrote:II'm thinking of an adventure riding down to see him with a tent strapped on. Obviously you can see I don't get to ride my bike much nowadays. How much better is the ride with LSL bar conversion and maybe a tall screen.

For me , outside of city centre riding I feel the standard bar position below the top yoke is best. I have used barbacks at various times over the years but for a longish trip like you're planning I'd leave as is . Obviously we're all different shapes and sizes but moving the bars up can cause as many (other) problems as it solves.

I'd agree Nigel, maybe it's my stature, but I've never understood the fondness for bar conversions. Seems to me to be missing the point of the bike and suggests you've chosen the wrong bike in the first place.

The "crouch" position of a 11s isn't at all extreme anyway and it allows quite a bit of body weight to be taken through the pegs ( and bars ), once you sit more upright that weight goes straight down your back to your bum ... which for me soon results in back ache and numb bum syndrome.

If you don't fit the S get an RT I'd say.
Simon.
K100rs, R1100s, R1150rs, R1200st, K1300s

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:04 am

I got back last night from my apartment in Spain to Ross on Wye.

900km on wednesday , ferry to Plymouth and 170 miles to Ross .

All the trips on the BMW have been with handle bars below the top yoke and the foot pegs in standard position .

I've done this trip twice now , all good , bike is a champion , runs so smooth , as long as good fuel always .

I'm 6 foot, and 33 inside leg , so not the smallest of guys .

To be honest, I have had no issue at all with comfort in this position , but I think its all down to being relatively fit and agile ( considering Im 62 ) .

I've raced for many years, gave up last year , so despite numerous broken bones , screws and carbon fibre I feel blessed when I read of others and their problems .

picture on Facebook if you do that . https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
Old man ... now .
Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

Damsy

Postby Damsy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:18 am

Thanks for the replies,
I'm gonna try a 4 to 500 mile round trip next wednesday in the U.K. As a "tester"

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:36 am

Damsy wrote:Thanks for the replies,
I'm gonna try a 4 to 500 mile round trip next wednesday in the U.K. As a "tester"

Unless you regularly ride a fair distance , as in over 100 miles , I'd suggest a 2 to 3 hundred as a first long ride .

Nothing worse than feeling knackered and you still have a hundred miles to get home ...

Just my way , not telling you what is good for you .

But because I regularly ride 250 ish miles at a stretch , its easier to go more .

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the ride .
Old man ... now .

SP250

Postby SP250 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:10 am

I'm the same age, height and leg length as GerryB and I've had my 11S from new.
For the first 10 years I was doing regular trips to the Ring, trackdays in the UK and general riding around with no issues at all.
For the last few years my road riding has been getting more uncomfortable, but its hips and knees arthritis and last year's trapped nerves in the neck issue which have given the problems.

So, as we are all different, try a few times/miles to see how you get on.
Coming back from Flash tour in 2015 (700 odd miles in one day) knackered me for a week.
But as Gerry said I wasn't "bike fit" for that kind of mileage.
I think one of the best mods for a long tour, is some form of aftermarket throttle clamp - allowing cruise control on the boring motorways.
John M

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:31 am

SP250 wrote:I'm the same age, height and leg length as GerryB and I've had my 11S from new.
For the first 10 years I was doing regular trips to the Ring, trackdays in the UK and general riding around with no issues at all.
For the last few years my road riding has been getting more uncomfortable, but its hips and knees arthritis and last year's trapped nerves in the neck issue which have given the problems.

So, as we are all different, try a few times/miles to see how you get on.
Coming back from Flash tour in 2015 (700 odd miles in one day) knackered me for a week.
But as Gerry said I wasn't "bike fit" for that kind of mileage.
I think one of the best mods for a long tour, is some form of aftermarket throttle clamp - allowing cruise control on the boring motorways.

Another thing , as you mentioned , arthritis .......

Coming from Africa , warm climate , plus permanent wearing of copper bracelets since early 20s , touch wood I've staved off that dreadful condition which is probably the biggest factor in so many of us 60 something riders .

I've broken 40 bones racing bikes , so I'm a prime candidate for it ... Maybe a bit of gin n tonic , lots of mediterranean food including garlic and olive oil !

AS above , try the rides , work up the distances .

Every time I've planned a long ride , I try to ride at least 250 miles a weekend for a few weeks before , just to get the body accustomed to it .

While in Spain my girlfriend and I did a few 100 mile plus rides 2 up , with no issues for her , thankfully.

In 6 weeks we are planning a return trip back to Spain , but , we've decided on about 200 / 250 miles per day , and make it a touring adventure holiday .
Old man ... now .

fontana

Postby fontana » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:34 pm

I ride regularly, and normally cover about 10,000 miles per year, but that's mostly relatively short trips.
I always find the couple of days touring is a bit of a killer.
That first 400 or so miles a day can take it out of you, but then I find after that, I seem to acclimatise to it, and can ride 10 hours in a day easily.
I'm convinced there is such a thing as being bike fit.
Something you only really reach the peak of on a touring trip.
It's a very good idea to prep yourself shortly by going with a couple of longer trips.

GRAgusta

Postby GRAgusta » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:13 pm

I have said before in this locale ... I don't understand big people having size issues with bikes ... I'm small and have bike jealousy of tall people... I like the R1100S and haven't been without one since 1999.

If you feel comfy on it, you can easy do 6 or 7 hours a day on it .... more at a push, and we have done ... how far away from home will that take you if you don't turn around for three days.

Just remember to book some nice accommodation. And enjoy the trip.

I am on my second R1100S because it fits me perfect out of the box ... both of them.

For my wife's first big ride on her proper bike I scheduled her on two hours out, refuel and two hours back.

We have maintained that rule ever since but sometimes don't turn around after the first two hours and fuel stop ... you can end up anywhere.

I hope it works for you.
Gawaine

2003 R1100S
2007 MV Agusta F4 1000R
2013 Ducati Diavel Hers
2023 Motorrad R1250RS SE

2020 911 992 C2SC

fontana

Postby fontana » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:09 pm

GRAgusta wrote:I have said before in this locale ... I don't understand big people having size issues with bikes ...

Possibly because you haven't had to contend with this issue yourself.
Imagine being average size, and being faced with a touring expedition on a CG125.
That's how cramped medium size bikes can be for very tall and big people.

:shock:

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:02 pm

For Fxxks Sake :shock: I thought that was a 125 the salad dodger was on it`s a blimmin` ZX12R.

Has his air suit over inflated?

JEEZ.

Edit just noticed the Knee slider! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

fontana

Postby fontana » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:55 am

Bit if an exaggerated example, but a good illustration of how being big can make life really difficult on a bike.

Return to “Boxerbanter”