Petrol & diesel engine ban

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

fontana

Re: Petrol & diesel engine ban

Postby fontana » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:04 pm

slparry wrote:Can you not see how insulting that remark is? We're all motorcyclists here, we all have a passion for bikes, some more so than others. It's beyond rude for you to attempt to grade your passion as more worthy than others. I genuinely think you need to reflect on your statement and apologise to Chris. I suspect you won't of course as you have a history of never accepting you're wrong and riling others, despite everyone else telling you you're wrong, divisive or plain argumentative.

Not really an insult and not intended to be, as he has admitted he doesn't really care much for motorcycling these days anyway, so it's just stating fact.
If bicycles were about to be banned, and I had an opinion about it, he could say exactly the same to me.
I am an occasional bicycle user, so any radical changes to the law are unlikely to have any deep impact on me.
I wouldn't take offence at that statement at all, because it's true.
:?

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:10 pm

fontana wrote:
slparry wrote:Can you not see how insulting that remark is? We're all motorcyclists here, we all have a passion for bikes, some more so than others. It's beyond rude for you to attempt to grade your passion as more worthy than others. I genuinely think you need to reflect on your statement and apologise to Chris. I suspect you won't of course as you have a history of never accepting you're wrong and riling others, despite everyone else telling you you're wrong, divisive or plain argumentative.

Not really an insult and not intended to be, as he has admitted he doesn't really care much for motorcycling these days anyway, so it's just stating fact.
If bicycles were about to be banned, and I had an opinion about it, he could say exactly the same to me.
I am an occasional bicycle user, so any radical changes to the law are unlikely to have any deep impact on me.
I wouldn't take offence at that statement at all, because it's true.
:?

Which is the answer I expected, glad to know you never fail to disappoint. "Manners maketh the man"
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

fontana

Postby fontana » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:21 pm

slparry wrote:
fontana wrote:Which is the answer I expected, glad to know you never fail to disappoint. "Manners maketh the man"

Well I'm sorry, but people on this forum have thrown personal insults at me, and you never say a word about that.
Double standards or what
:shock: :?

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:29 pm

fontana wrote:
slparry wrote:
fontana wrote:Which is the answer I expected, glad to know you never fail to disappoint. "Manners maketh the man"

Well I'm sorry, but people on this forum have thrown personal insults at me, and you never say a word about that.
Double standards or what

here we go ....

Not double standards, every one else here plays nice, you illicit responses from them because of your aggressive and argumentative posts. But of course none of it is your fault, everyone else is wrong. All we're asking is a little consideration and behaviour. Sly insults and digs at others ruin the tone of the place, and when it's pointed out to you your response it usually to throw your toys out of the pram and threaten to never darken our doors again or to threaten/imply that if someone tried to "shut you up" in real life you'd get violent with them.

Many many members here have asked you to tone it down but you seem hell bent on being difficult. As I've said before I've met many of the members here and found them to be really nice people, but the moment you're on the back foot it's back to the insults of us all being "too delicate" etc.

Just think before you post and try to be a little less abrasive? It's not much to ask for free membership and use of the forum is it?
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

fontana

Postby fontana » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:44 pm

slparry wrote:
fontana wrote:
slparry wrote:

Double standards or what

here we go ....

Not double standards, every one else here plays nice, you illicit responses from them because of your aggressive and argumentative posts. But of course none of it is your fault, everyone else is wrong. All we're asking is a little consideration and behaviour. Sly insults and digs at others ruin the tone of the place, and when it's pointed out to you your response it usually to throw your toys out of the pram and threaten to never darken our doors again or to threaten/imply that if someone tried to "shut you up" in real life you'd get violent with them.

Many many members here have asked you to tone it down but you seem hell bent on being difficult. As I've said before I've met many of the members here and found them to be really nice people, but the moment you're on the back foot it's back to the insults of us all being "too delicate" etc.

Just think before you post and try to be a little less abrasive? It's not much to ask for free membership and use of the forum is it?

That's just your interpretation.
Nothing I have said was intended to be insulting.
I think people are made of sterner stuff than you give them credit for.
For example

Herb wrote:Fontana you really are a twat!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22294

Were my feelings hurt ?
No.
Come on we're all Men here, not delicate little flowers.
Since then Herb has helped me out quite a bit.
He saved me a shed load of money by telling me how to adjust the length of my shock.
PS
If you don't want me to be on this forum you don't have to ban me.
All you have to do is ask and I'll be gone.

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:50 pm

fontana wrote:
slparry wrote:
fontana wrote:Well I'm sorry, but people on this forum have thrown personal insults at me, and you never say a word about that.
Double standards or what

here we go ....

That's just your interpretation.
Nothing I have said was intended to be insulting.
I think people are made of sterner stuff than you give them credit for.
For example

Herb wrote:Fontana you really are a twat!

http://boxertrix.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22294

Were my feelings hurt ?
No.
Come on we're all Men here, not delicate little flowers.
Since then Herb has helped me out quite a bit.
He saved me a shed load of money by telling me how to adjust the length of my shock.
PS
If you don't want me to be on this forum you don't have to ban me.
All you have to do is ask and I'll be gone.

“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” ― Mark Twain
--
Steve Parry

fontana

Postby fontana » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:54 pm

slparry wrote:“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” ― Mark Twain

And so now you resort to personal insults.
Predictable as always.
One rule for some and anther rule for others.
I rest my case
:lol:

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:05 pm

fontana wrote:
slparry wrote:“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” ― Mark Twain

And so now you resort to personal insults.
Predictable as always.
One rule for some and anther rule for others.
I rest my case
:lol:

All that's requested is to tone down the snipes at people and be respectful to others opinions which may vary to yours
--
Steve Parry

Taz

Postby Taz » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:27 pm

I do wonder how we will accomplish this change away from fossil fuels - I read an article that if we all replaced our cars with electric cars then we would need another enormous power station to provide the electricity to charge them

Also, do we have enough lithium to manufacture the batteries?

I would support a transition away from fossil fuels, after all it will inevitably happen in our childrens' life times, if I knew what the headline plan was.

It's interesting that the government has said 2040 which is 23 years away. The usual term for a generation is 25 years, so is this a way of selling an idea to the next generation? By comparison, the evaluation of how long it took for people to become accustomed to automatically wearing a seat belt was .... 25 years.
Taz

R1250RS

So when is this 'Old enough to know better' supposed to kick in?

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:14 am

slparry wrote:
dave the german wrote:Just enjoy while you can - I'm not rich but I'll still be buying a new bike either next year or the year after. When I can no longer use/afford to put petrol in I'll get rid at a huge loss and look back at the happy times I had with it. I'll be 79 when this comes into force (if I make it that far). None of us have crystal balls so I don't see the point in getting worried about it

<note to self ... add Dave to contact list ;) >

Don't worry Steve - you're already on MY contact list
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Return to “Boxerbanter”