I didn't realize how bad things were

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

fontana

Re: I didn't realize how bad things were

Postby fontana » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:40 pm

milleplod wrote:It can't be 'challenged' can it....its raw data, the figures are what they are.

Does the decrease in new registrations necessarily mean that less people are riding bikes? :? The bubble may have burst for new stuff because of a glut of barely used, used stuff....a vicious circle? :?

Pete

I never said or even implied that less people are riding bikes.
WTF
:?

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:43 pm

fontana wrote:
milleplod wrote:It can't be 'challenged' can it....its raw data, the figures are what they are.

Does the decrease in new registrations necessarily mean that less people are riding bikes? :? The bubble may have burst for new stuff because of a glut of barely used, used stuff....a vicious circle? :?

Pete

I never said or even implied that less people are riding bikes.
WTF
:?

Er...I never said you did....I was asking a question that (I thought) continued the thread's conversational tone.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

fontana

Postby fontana » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:53 pm

The thread was intended to be about new bike registrations.
You know that, and are just doing what you always do, by trying to derail the thread and start a fight.
You are very good at it, I'll give you that.
:lol:

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:59 pm

fontana wrote:The thread was intended to be about new bike registrations.
You know that, and are just doing what you always do, by trying to derail the thread and start a fight.
You are very good at it, I'll give you that.

And my question was about new bike registrations, and how they might be interpreted. Its called conversation.....albeit the impersonal sort, because we're on here! How, I have to ask, am I trying to derail the thread and start a fight??!! :?

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

fontana

Postby fontana » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:05 pm

Nope.
Not biting.
Nice try though

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:27 pm

Yep, much easier that than answering the question. :roll:

I wonder if things are 'bad' just because new registrations are down. :? Is that a definitive interpretation of the figures? :?

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:03 pm

No way! Mines barely used but it is not going anywhere, so not adding to the glut, if there is one?

Are you suggesting that all the end of term pcp contract payments are being avoided?
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

fontana

Postby fontana » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:12 pm

boxerscott wrote:Are you suggesting that all the end of term pcp contract payments are being avoided?

I'm led to believe that PCP finance was a big factor in the increase in bike sales.
I think you'll find that most new bikes are purchased in this way.
Mine was because it was a convenient way of keeping the monthly payments down while saving up to buy the bike outright in a few years.
I do not plan to sell it, but I am far from typical and believe that generally, this type of finance does not translate very well to the world of bikes.
It's a leisure pursuit, and I believe that riders want to change a lot more frequently than the average hatchback driver.
Great if you're at the lower end of the market price wise, as you don't lose much, but disastrous in terms of depreciation on a new bike.
I believe that a lot of people who may never have considered buying a new bike until PCP emerged, are now getting their fingers burned and regretting the decision, wishing they had stuck to older bikes where depreciation isn't so much of an issue, as long as you buy wisely.
Regardless of what Steve say's (from one dealers perspective), the fact is that all motorcycle manufacturers including BMW, are suffering at the moment.
When PCP started to become common place, the market for new bikes was in the doldrums.
PCP is a sticking plaster.
A short term fix for a much more serious problem, which is that bikes at the exotic end of the market, are just way too expensive.
I believe it's that simple.

Return to “Boxerbanter”