I didn't realize how bad things were

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

fontana

I didn't realize how bad things were

Postby fontana » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:49 pm

Until I read this.

http://www.mcia.co.uk/Uploads/Statistic ... e-2017.pdf

Look at June last year compared to June this year.

PCP finance was responsible for a huge surge in registrations over the last couple of years, but I think that bubble has burst.

Interestingly, Triumph seem to be the only manufacturer bucking the downward trend.

milleplod

Re: I didn't realize how bad things were

Postby milleplod » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:57 pm

Perhaps folk are just drawing their horns in a bit, watching the pennies and keeping bikes a bit longer, or buying used instead. Or is it more complex than that? :?

I've always regarded brand new bikes, and cars, as a huge money-losing exercise!

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

fontana

Postby fontana » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:11 pm

milleplod wrote:I've always regarded brand new bikes, and cars, as a huge money-losing exercise!

Pete

If you're the sort of person that changes every couple of years, then yes.
The only way to get your moneys worth out of a new vehicle is to keep it long term.
You only lose money when you sell and buy something else.
Interestingly, a similar slump is being seen in car sales.
Brexit is being blamed.
The industry, as always, seeks to blame everyone and everything except itself.

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:25 pm

Yes, of course. There aren't many people who buy/lease new cars or bikes and keep them for donkey's years though. For one thing, as discussed in previous threads, 'they don't make 'em like they used to', so buying with the intention of long-term, out-of-warranty ownership these days is folly really....unless you've got deep pockets. I suppose, though, that with bikes, as most of them are leisure items, that may just be what the change in buying habits is - hanging onto them for longer.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

fontana

Postby fontana » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:50 pm

milleplod wrote: For one thing, as discussed in previous threads, 'they don't make 'em like they used to', so buying with the intention of long-term, out-of-warranty ownership these days is folly really....unless you've got deep pockets.

So the fact that I bought a new 9T with a view to long term ownership makes me foolhardy in your book.
You just cannot resist having subtle dig at every opportunity you get can you.
Sad really.

Herb

Postby Herb » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:56 pm

PCP deals are the short to mid term future of the industry. Very few people now buy new cars (with bikes going the same way), preferring to effectively lease. It means they can drive a car (or bike) they can't otherwise afford.

I kind of understand it, but at the same time I time, as someone who prefers to only buy what I can pay for,I am horrified.

long term, the future of the car industry is the 'self drive uber' model. If you think about it, we all own vehicles that sit unused for the vast majority of the day, when they could be out making money. When self drive cars are common, we won't own our own cars. Why would you? When you can call a car just for when you need it. Long term, in the develop world, bikes have no place. Perhaps our children are the last generation who will 'own' personal transport and who may ride bikes. Future generations will see bikes as some wierd dirty hobby of old men.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:22 pm

fontana wrote:
milleplod wrote: For one thing, as discussed in previous threads, 'they don't make 'em like they used to', so buying with the intention of long-term, out-of-warranty ownership these days is folly really....unless you've got deep pockets.

So the fact that I bought a new 9T with a view to long term ownership makes me foolhardy in your book.
You just cannot resist having subtle dig at every opportunity you get can you.
Sad really.

Eh????? FFS, there's nothing directed at you, its a general comment. Give it a rest with the faux persecution complex. :roll:

As you well know, current older bikes can land owners with huge bills, bills that are out of all proportion to the market value of the bike. Do you think its just your bike that could be in that bracket?! Or everyone's? You started a thread a bit back about bike quality being pretty abysmal. If you're happy to commit to a bike long-term whilst knowing that, fine, I get that, but why think I'm having a dig at you about it? :?

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:26 pm

Interestingly Girls, I drive by a nice little village each or every other day, Denholm, affordable housing is being constructed (cough) on the outskirts, single storey only. When the slump hit the project was dead but over the last couple of years the remaining plots have been constructed and all are occupied. What I noticed was that on the frontage of each property (no front gardens now) were cars that were no fewer than 3 years old, Range Rover, Audi, BMW. So what are peoples priorities these days? Yes I agree things are bad if affordable housing is unaffordable to those who do not have the means to have a Beemer, Audi or Range Rover parked up outside.

It`s Crazy we are on a slippery slope into the Shitter :(
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:09 am

I must be bucking the trend then ;)

This June, I sold twice as many new bikes than June 2016 ... and most (75% I guess) were PCP, some new customers, some repeat. The whole year has been stunning for me
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:15 am

slparry wrote:I must be bucking the trend then ;)

This June, I sold twice as many new bikes than June 2016 ... and most (75% I guess) were PCP, some new customers, some repeat. The whole year has been stunning for me

It'll be your natural wit and charm Steve...... :D

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:27 am

milleplod wrote:

It'll be your natural wit and charm Steve...... :D

Pete

:)

BMW seem to be very popular at present, the R12RS is selling well, to the point of being hard to get hold of now. The R12GS's too, as always, is flying out of the door. The RT's too are now in short supply as again, like the previous two, they're pretty much the leader in their class.

The BMW "Rookie to Rider" scheme has been stunningly popular, with the new G310R attracting loads of newbies to motorcycling and to BMW, I've done about a dozen recently, some G310R's some F800GSA's. Two of which are here

http://www.chester-motorrad.co.uk/news/ ... s-on-gsas/

Went from never ridden, intense 7 day course with the BMW training school, to passing test, to getting fully kitted up, to riding away on two new F800GSA's within a few weeks.

For the G310R customers it's £500 down and £99 a month. Awesome way to get into biking
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:40 am

BMW are certainly doing something right. I've not been into a Motorrad showroom in ages, last time was Rainbow for one of the recalls, but I got the distinct impression that everyone was really keen on bikes....from the young girl in the clothing department, who really knew the products, to the sales guys who are always up for a natter. Last time I was in the local non-BMW dealership, the level of disinterest was palpable - most folk were in there for the cafe facilities - no eye contact from anyone in the showroom, 2 young women nattering away in the clothing department, not a 'hello' from either of them. What's that about?! :?

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

mh374

Postby mh374 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:21 pm

Had the complete opposite experience at the BMW dealer in Cardiff a couple of years back. Took my bike there for a recall and waited for it to be done. Wandered around the showroom for a few hours and no interest at all from any of the sales staff or anyone to be honest. They had said to come and have a coffee while we do the work. No coffee offered at all, despite staff swanning around with ever present mugs of it. Eventually asked for a coffee and was told there was a machine upstairs in the Ducati area. Will never cross their door again and certainly wouldn't buy anything from them.

fontana

Postby fontana » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:31 pm

You can't really judge the whole market in the context of your dealerships sales.
There's a much bigger picture that clearly shows that bike sales have dropped significantly this year.
The figures speak for themselves.
Would anyone like to comment on the MCIA data and challenge it
:roll:

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:23 pm

It can't be 'challenged' can it....its raw data, the figures are what they are.

Does the decrease in new registrations necessarily mean that less people are riding bikes? :? The bubble may have burst for new stuff because of a glut of barely used, used stuff....a vicious circle? :?

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Return to “Boxerbanter”