Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

milleplod

Cyclists v police!

Postby milleplod » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:35 pm

Nocto Diuque Venamur

fontana

Re: Cyclists v police!

Postby fontana » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:58 pm

You get the impression that the gobshite cyclist is middle management type, used to getting his own way and bullying others into submission.
This is why I could never be a cop.
I'd have just put the idiot flat on his back.

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:47 pm

The bloody cyclists here in UK , think they are a law unto themselves ... :evil:

I Spain they are entitled to ride 2 abreast , however they must ride as close to the edge of the road as possible .
If they are not riding as close to the edge as possible , fined .

No riding out in the lane if the hard shoulder area is over a metre wide .

As for red lights and stop streets , all the Spanish locals stop .... as required by law .

However the Brit holiday cyclists don't and squeel like babies when they collect a E100 fine .....

As it should be !! :lol:
Old man ... now .
Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

Herb

Postby Herb » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:05 pm

What an absolute to55er that gobby cyclist is.

This is why people hate cyclists! I would have lost my patience and tasered the idiot.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

ianbcr

Postby ianbcr » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:46 pm

Pete, Whats around the bike cops boots 5.40 mins looks like extra storage. Or its his wallet and hip flask. :D
Your born with a certain amout of heart beats, Dont waste them on exersise. [smilie=rooster.gif]

04 boxer cup rep. Gone but not forgoten
99 tlr1000 (V twin) tricked.
Indian Roadmaster Elite
Mercedes EQC 400

fontana

Postby fontana » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:50 pm

Also, why do so many of them film everything?
It seems that they cast themselves in a victim role, and then bring it on themselves by camera kitting up and acting in a way that winds people up?

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:51 pm

Some cyclists, (not all cyclists) have little regard for other road users or themselves it appears. They get their heads down, music in and pump for England, their workout is paramount and therefore they put themselves in harms way. I am a little bit sick in my mouth every time I see a sweaty arse clad in lycra.

Not Good :(
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:23 pm

ianbcr wrote:Pete, Whats around the bike cops boots 5.40 mins looks like extra storage. Or its his wallet and hip flask. :D

On his right boot, its his ASP extendable baton - I just used to shove mine inside my boot. On t'other side, it'll most likely be a holder for small equipment of some sort....could be tyre tread gauge, belt cutter, or even for putting his tickets in! I doubt it will be his CS though, that's usually on a waist belt.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

fontana

Postby fontana » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:33 pm

boxerscott wrote:I am a little bit sick in my mouth every time I see a sweaty arse clad in lycra.

Not Good :(

:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlGetFM59dY

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:03 pm

The current recommendation is to ride two abreast, or if cycling on your own, to take a dominant position on the road (there are exceptions). The reason for this is to discourage drivers from squeezing between the cyclist and oncoming traffic. This happens to me a lot (I still tend to ride near the left). On almost every cycle ride I do on the roads, at some point a driver will skim past me so closely, that there is zero margin for error. One day, I'm going to be unlucky, but I refuse to be bullied off the road by stupid drivers who don't give a sh1t for my safety. If you've never had an artic come past 6" from your shoulder, or felt a car wing mirror brush your elbow, you haven't lived. It happens a lot.

Cycling on the road is a legal pastime and I get thoroughly fed up (I'd like to put that much more strongly) with this constant anti-cyclist crap we have to put up with. If these guys were cycling two abreast, I don't see why they were stopped. Yes, one of them was gobby, (I wouldn't have been), but he had a point - he just didn't go about making it in the right way.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/lates ... ide-306024

Also Chris Boardman explaining why it's safer for cyclists, and better for drivers, to cycle two abreast.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/lates ... deo-187215

You can tell this thread has touched a nerve. :D

Herb

Postby Herb » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:13 am

I am a cyclist. I commute approx 100 miles per week to and from work, and then try to have a longer ride with a mate at weekends. We ride 2 abreast on the lanes, however, when the road narrows, or is busy, we ride single file. If I am aware of someone who can't get by, we drop back to single file until they have passed. It's only polite.

This guy was apparently causing a hold up, and on a busy road, the Highway Code says to ride single file. The copper was quite right to stop him for a chat.

The guy was an arse, pure and simple. He'd be an arse in a car, on a bike, or a cycle.
********Jim********

---------------------------

2006 'Colgate' R1200s

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:36 am

With respect to the police officer, he was wrong about the law. The cyclist denied that they were causing a holdup, and while we never see for sure what, if anything, was behind them, I don't see more than a van pass in the seconds after they are stopped. We don't know for sure. I agree the guy was gobby and didn't do his case much good, but I don't think the video is clear cut against the cyclists before they were stopped.

If vehicles can't get past when riding two abreast, you drop into single file only if it then allows the vehicle(s) to get past safely. The problem is when going into single file encourages drivers to squeeze through a gap between yourself as the cyclist and oncoming traffic, such that you're at risk of being knocked off. It is not always safe to go into single file.

Conversely, there are times when you should be in single file, such as on narrow roads, busy roads and on bends. But the Highway Code doesn't specify the width of a narrow road, how many vehicles makes a road busy, or how much of a curve becomes a bend.

Herb, your experience allows you to judge these situations while cycling. But I worry that videos like this encourage the anti-cycling drivers to behave even more aggressively, and I still don't know if the cyclists really were doing anything wrong before they were stopped.

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:48 am

Grip Fast wrote:With respect to the police officer, he was wrong about the law. The cyclist denied that they were causing a holdup, and while we never see for sure what, if anything, was behind them, I don't see more than a van pass in the seconds after they are stopped. We don't know for sure. I agree the guy was gobby and didn't do his case much good, but I don't think the video is clear cut against the cyclists before they were stopped.

If vehicles can't get past when riding two abreast, you drop into single file only if it then allows the vehicle(s) to get past safely. The problem is when going into single file encourages drivers to squeeze through a gap between yourself as the cyclist and oncoming traffic, such that you're at risk of being knocked off. It is not always safe to go into single file.

Conversely, there are times when you should be in single file, such as on narrow roads, busy roads and on bends. But the Highway Code doesn't specify the width of a narrow road, how many vehicles makes a road busy, or how much of a curve becomes a bend.

Herb, your experience allows you to judge these situations while cycling. But I worry that videos like this encourage the anti-cycling drivers to behave even more aggressively, and I still don't know if the cyclists really were doing anything wrong before they were stopped.

I'm pretty certain that the police officer will have had a full overview of the whole situation prior to stopping them, whereas we're just speculating.

"Careless, and inconsiderate, cycling.

If a person rides a cycle on a road without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road, he is guilty of an offence".

Our opinions matter not, the bobby's opinions do though. :)

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:03 am

The cyclist was a cock! I was always under the impression that you had to ride single file and while I can see the reasoning behind making yourself visible by being 2 abreast, traffic moves too fast these days to be safe (IMHO). I used to be a keen road rider but stick to mountain biking these days cos it's just too dangerous on the road. Usually vehicles pass too close to cyclists because they don't cycle themselves and don't realise the consequences. As a former road cyclist, I usually pull over to the other side of the road to pass even if it means waiting for oncoming traffic to pass. I do it without complaint but it pi$$es me off when travelling up a hill at 44tonnes (that's me and the truck, not just me) and having to almost stop because 2 cyclists are having a conversation totally unaware of the queue behind. It boils down to having no consideration for other road users
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

fontana

Postby fontana » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:01 pm

I would have thought two a breast would be more dangerous from the point of view of vehicles overtaking.
Surely it's safer to give vehicles as much space as possible to get passed, especially on country roads.

Return to “Boxerbanter”