Cyclists v police!

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Herb

Re: Cyclists v police!

Postby Herb » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:15 pm

fontana wrote:I would have thought two a breast would be more dangerous from the point of view of vehicles overtaking.
Surely it's safer to give vehicles as much space as possible to get passed, especially on country roads.

But on a single lane road, the car can't overtake 2 cyclists riding abreast, whereas they might try to force an overtake and squeeze through the gap if riding single file, causing risk to the cyclist. That's why they do it.

It comes down to courtesy, etiquette and respect for other road users, regardless of the exact letter of the rules. Some people are respectful, some aren't, regardless of your mode of transport.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:27 pm

fontana wrote:I would have thought two a breast would be more dangerous from the point of view of vehicles overtaking.
Surely it's safer to give vehicles as much space as possible to get passed, especially on country roads.

That would seem to be logical, but on a lot of roads, it is much safer to be two abreast or in a dominant position. On many of the roads I cycle on (B roads), there is barely room for two cars and a cyclist side-by-side. But if I am towards the left with a car about to pass in the opposite direction and a car coming up behind, a significant number of drivers (one on most rides) will push through the gap. That leaves me, the squidgy soft one, with no escape room. I can assure you that can be very scary, especially if as happened a couple of times, the overtaking vehicle is an artic.

So, by riding two abreast, you force the overtaking driver to wait behind until the car coming the other way has passed. And the driver will go further over to pass, thus leaving the riders some option.

Also, in a group, the length of the group is halved if they are riding two abreast. That reduces the risk of a driver starting to pass a single file group, and having to squeeze the lead rider(s) into the ditch to avoid a vehicle coming the other way.

Pete, out of respect (you've done the job and I haven't), I withdraw my earlier speculation about what led up to the two cyclists being stopped.

70tno

Postby 70tno » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:24 pm

From the Highway Code;

Section 66
This section explains what cyclists should and should not do when riding on the road.

You should:

Keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear.
Keep both feet on the pedals.
Be considerate of other road users, taking extra care around blind and partially sighted pedestrians. Use your bell when necessary to signal you are nearby.
Ride single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends

You should not:

Ride more than two abreast.
Ride close behind another vehicle.
Carry anything that will affect your balance or get tangled up in your wheels or chain.
Only the person who risks is truly free.

Black 1100s

fontana

Postby fontana » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:39 pm

70tno wrote:From the Highway Code;

Section 66
This section explains what cyclists should and should not do when riding on the road.

I think there's a problem there.
An issue of interpretation.
"You should not" is an advisory statement.
An instruction would be you "MUST not"
The highway code is riddled with ambiguity.

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:09 pm

From the horse's mouth, as it were -

"Many of the rules in the Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’. In addition, the rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence. An explanation of the abbreviations can be found in 'The road user and the law'.

Although failure to comply with the other rules of the Code will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted, the Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings under the Traffic Acts (see 'The road user and the law') to establish liability. This includes rules which use advisory wording such as ‘should/should not’ or ‘do/do not’.
"

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

fontana

Postby fontana » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:01 pm

Highway Code wrote:never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends

Not that many cyclists take much notice of the highway code, but it's interesting that they quote it song and verse when it suits their argument.

:?

Sorry, I realize that probably doesn't apply to anyone here of course

:wink:

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:37 pm

fontana wrote:Not that many cyclists take much notice of the highway code, but it's interesting that they quote it song and verse when it suits their argument.

Or many drivers or some motorcyclists or many pedestrians. Maybe it's just people don't take much notice of the Highway Code.

fontana

Postby fontana » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:14 pm

Grip Fast wrote:Or many drivers or some motorcyclists or many pedestrians. Maybe it's just people don't take much notice of the Highway Code.

Yes, but especially cyclists.
Probably because they know that any offences they commit can't really be punished in a significant way, other than a slap on the wrist, or maybe a small fine.
Personally, I think that any offence committed on the road on a bicycle should carry the same penalties in terms of endorsements and bans as any other vehicle, with the obvious exception of speeding of course.
If I get caught riding my bike dangerously and incur points or a ban as a result, I can't carry on driving my car because I didn't commit the offence in that vehicle.
Why should offences committed on bicycles be any different.

fontana

Postby fontana » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:45 pm

Oh and I in this video, I think the guy at 6.00 sums up pretty accurately why some cyclists are a pain in the ass.
This is quite a regular site around my way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmTHk3sxSUA

ianbcr

Postby ianbcr » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:08 pm

The guy at 3.10 who runs a red light and hits the side of the bus was on a tv program and the chap that filmed it put it on line and the cyclist got some verbal, it turned out his brake cable snapped and he couldn't stop. went on the program and met the guy who posted the clip to explain.
Your born with a certain amout of heart beats, Dont waste them on exersise. [smilie=rooster.gif]

04 boxer cup rep. Gone but not forgoten
99 tlr1000 (V twin) tricked.
Indian Roadmaster Elite
Mercedes EQC 400

fontana

Postby fontana » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:17 pm

I've just been made to eat some humble pie, as her indoors reminded me of the amount of mass motorcycle gatherings that cause huge inconvenience to other road users.
Yeah fair point.
The last one I went on was the Locksbottom to Hastings Mayday run.
Never again.
I pity the poor sods that get unwittingly caught up in that mayhem, caused by bikes.

Return to “Boxerbanter”