R1200s acquired

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Luke2184

R1200s acquired

Postby Luke2184 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:41 pm

A big Thankyou to everyone on the site who assisted in my requested to find a R1200s, I had offers and advice from numerous members. I now own a beautiful bike which I cannot wait to ride, a big Thankyou to Jim (herb) who's bike I have acquired. I'm also enjoying all this banter you guys go on about.

fontana

Re: R1200s acquired

Postby fontana » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:47 pm

Always good to buy a bike through a place like this from an established member.

Herb

Postby Herb » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:04 am

Enjoy it Luke!

Well have to meet for a ride out when I get my new bike.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

Topcat

Postby Topcat » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:09 am

Nice one Luke, glad you got sorted :D

They are cracking bikes!

Dave

ted

Postby ted » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:55 am

I remember buying mine on a bit of whim after getting bored with the plastic rockets. I'd been round the Alps on my modified ZX9R with a mate who had a r1200s and had my head turned a bit - especially when he could average 52 mpg to my 37 and still ride at the same speed ( yes I know that's not a cool thing to say for some - but when your looking for a fuel station all the time it's a bit boring)

Anyway a while later I fancied swapping the bike and couldn't see anything I fancied - to be honest all the latest plastic stuff looked the same with a different badge so I started looking at cb1300's and XjR's and the naked route. I did actually put a deposited down on a r1100s but it had a massive brake judder which the dealer couldn't sort with discs and pads so I walked away. Then I came across my r1200s which had just spent a month in the local main dealers Showroom and didn't sell so they moved it on to the trade to keep their showroom ' fresh '. I remember taking it out and it seemed a lot better to ride than the 1100s so down went the deposit! I had it 8 years now so I guess I've grown to like it - it's different to most things out there, it goes well for a average plodder like me and it's rare, but more important I think it's interesting to look at when your having your coffee!

I think the fuel temp sensor mod makes a worthwhile difference and helibars help with the ageing back - enjoy and give it a while to let it work it's magic on you! Plus I don't think they are getting any cheaper for a decent one and with only about 250 on the road I don't think there will be a collapse soon.

David_S_Walker

Postby David_S_Walker » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:50 am

Hello,

Sorry to hijack but your line:

"I think the fuel temp sensor mod makes a worthwhile difference" interested me.

This doesn't by any chance mean making the fuel gauge work which I thought was only available with the trip computer extra when new?

This has been an issue (minor!) since I had mine.

Just wondering if that is what you refer to? If not what is the mod?

Thanks and again apologies for the hijack.

Best regards,

David
The Hokey Cokey. What if that is what life is all about?
BMW R1200S-2006 with much carbon,PCIII & Schnitzer,
Subaru Outback 3.0 R N 2006 and an Abarth 595 MTA 180 Competizione Convertible

Herb

Postby Herb » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:10 pm

David_S_Walker wrote:Hello,

Sorry to hijack but your line:

"I think the fuel temp sensor mod makes a worthwhile difference" interested me.

This doesn't by any chance mean making the fuel gauge work which I thought was only available with the trip computer extra when new?

This has been an issue (minor!) since I had mine.

Just wondering if that is what you refer to? If not what is the mod?

Thanks and again apologies for the hijack.

Best regards,

David

No, it refers to a temperature spoofer. Its a wire section, with a thermocouple (sometimes designed to be placed elsewhere on the bike) that effectively tells the bike it is colder than it actually is, so the ECU adds more fuel.

It makes the bike a bit more refined / smoother. I had one fitted to my bike for a while, but took it off when the bike went for a service. Pidcocks recalibrated the bike with the latest BMW calibration and it was much smoother, so I never put it back on. Its a pretty blunt tool. I think saving your pennies and going for a full Hilltop remap would be a much better option if the standard fuelling bothered you.

I also investigated retro fitting the fuel gauge, and its simply not possible. For a modern, expensive (for 2006) motorcycle. For BMW to make this a very expensive option, for what is essentially a free feature, as the hardware is already there, is simply unforgivable.
********Jim********

---------------------------

2006 'Colgate' R1200s

David_S_Walker

Postby David_S_Walker » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:13 pm

Herb,

Thanks for clarifying... I got all excited for a moment!

I think I know what you are talking about now. I went a different route and have the Power Commander III with 2 specifically written switchable maps so the issue you describe was sorted that way.

And as you say - "simply unforgiveable"

Apologies again for the hijack.

Best regards,

David
The Hokey Cokey. What if that is what life is all about?
BMW R1200S-2006 with much carbon,PCIII & Schnitzer,
Subaru Outback 3.0 R N 2006 and an Abarth 595 MTA 180 Competizione Convertible

Return to “Boxerbanter”