Touratech filing for insolvency!

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

gingergeezer

Re: Touratech filing for insolvency!

Postby gingergeezer » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:19 am

Allez Le Retour De Kid!

'Look up the MCIA figures' the man confidently says. Right. It helps to actually read the numbers rather than spouting inaccurate tosh. Hard evidence in the form of DOT stats rather than opinions are always more convincing n'est pas?

"7 year high (new registrations) for Quarter 1 - Government licensing stats for Q1 2017 show largest number of mopeds, motorcycles and sccoters on the road since 2010." When enquiring about the future, they state 'Long term use according to licensing stats is UP.' MCIA website Press stats / social media feed - August 2017.

In Europe, Brexit and prevailing economic uncertainty may well of course see a downturn in bike sales but currently things are quite healthy, particularly in the trail & adventure market which is why the Touratec problems are perhaps unusual. But global demand for motorcycles is projected to climb by nearly 4% according to Bain despite losses in the vast Chinese market.

I feeI a flounce coming on......INCOMING........ :bounce:

Al

Postby Al » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:47 am

[smilie=sofa.gif] oh dear, take cover.

Al
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:28 pm

We need a Like button, which I would have (or "would of", as many now seem to say) clicked for the last two posts :)

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:01 am

Stanley wrote:It doesn't seem to be a supply v demand issue as such; It seems they borrowed heavily to invest in the new plant, but this took longer than planned to get up and running. Now the lenders want their return.
Sounds like poor project management to me.
All insolvency issues are, other than downright legalised fraud.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

fontana

Postby fontana » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:26 pm

dave the german wrote:Not sure the shops were bought by J & S but they did get their stock
Pete, I have to agree on HG's products - just come in from work in my 9 year old HG jacket - don't think I've ever washed that one (getting a bit pongy now tho so it will be done this year) and bone dry. I liked it so much bought another when they were discontinuing the jacket. It's a bit heavy for summer use abroad but brilliant for our climate. They were maybe a victim of their own success

All but two of the HG shops were indeed purchased by J&S.

slparry

Postby slparry » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:38 pm

fontana wrote:
dave the german wrote:Not sure the shops were bought by J & S but they did get their stock
Pete, I have to agree on HG's products - just come in from work in my 9 year old HG jacket - don't think I've ever washed that one (getting a bit pongy now tho so it will be done this year) and bone dry. I liked it so much bought another when they were discontinuing the jacket. It's a bit heavy for summer use abroad but brilliant for our climate. They were maybe a victim of their own success

All but two of the HG shops were indeed purchased by J&S.

all but 4

http://www.superbike.co.uk/blogs/js-pur ... ke-stores/

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2014 ... n-gericke/
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:11 pm

I thought Infinity bought more than J&S ? the Liverpool (Aintree) Chester and Preston stores were just closed down never to reopen as bike related anything.teve
S
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

Herb

Postby Herb » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:21 pm

I thought J and S had the worst customer service ever, but then I tried to buy a bike from a KTM main dealer and was proven wrong!
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:42 am

Boxered wrote:I thought Infinity bought more than J&S ? the Liverpool (Aintree) Chester and Preston stores were just closed down never to reopen as bike related anything.teve
S

Don't think the Newcastle store opened with anything bike related (but to be honest, it's a long time since I was up Westgate road - it's $hite now)
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

SP250

Postby SP250 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:54 am

Herb

I get superb customer service from the J&S branch in Northwich.
They even give me a discount without asking after I bought a full set of gear from them in one go.
Was really odd having a discussion about gentle wash programmes and soap powder for the Rukka suit with a big tattooed bloke!
They took a pair of gloves back with no questions when they were slightly too big.
John M

Herb

Postby Herb » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:48 pm

SP250 wrote:Herb

I get superb customer service from the J&S branch in Northwich.
They even give me a discount without asking after I bought a full set of gear from them in one go.
Was really odd having a discussion about gentle wash programmes and soap powder for the Rukka suit with a big tattooed bloke!
They took a pair of gloves back with no questions when they were slightly too big.

My problems were with the Leicester branch, but it comes down to individuals I guess.
********Jim********

---------------------------

2006 'Colgate' R1200s

fontana

Postby fontana » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:10 pm

gingergeezer wrote:Allez Le Retour De Kid!

'Look up the MCIA figures' the man confidently says. Right. It helps to actually read the numbers rather than spouting inaccurate tosh. Hard evidence in the form of DOT stats rather than opinions are always more convincing n'est pas?

"7 year high (new registrations) for Quarter 1 - Government licensing stats for Q1 2017 show largest number of mopeds, motorcycles and sccoters on the road since 2010." When enquiring about the future, they state 'Long term use according to licensing stats is UP.' MCIA website Press stats / social media feed - August 2017.

In Europe, Brexit and prevailing economic uncertainty may well of course see a downturn in bike sales but currently things are quite healthy, particularly in the trail & adventure market which is why the Touratec problems are perhaps unusual. But global demand for motorcycles is projected to climb by nearly 4% according to Bain despite losses in the vast Chinese market.

I feeI a flounce coming on......INCOMING........ :bounce:

You have to look at the larger picture, not just cherry pick numbers that you feel comfortable with.
In other words, look at the numbers for the total number of bikes sold in any particular year, rather than in small chunks.
Record sales in the first quarter don't mean a thing if sales nosedive the rest of the year.
Come on, this is very basic stuff.
Even the MCIA state a worrying downward trend in recent years.
Certainly if you could disprove that I'd love to see you do it, but I dont think you can somehow.
Look at the MCIA stats for total number of units sold year on year.

slparry

Postby slparry » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:14 pm

well from a personal perspective we're busier and busier per year with sales targets rising every year and we achieve them every time. So I'd argue against a shrinking market :D
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

fontana

Postby fontana » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:01 pm

slparry wrote:well from a personal perspective we're busier and busier per year with sales targets rising every year and we achieve them every time. So I'd argue against a shrinking market :D

But you have to look outside your little bubble at the bigger picture.
BMW sales for the UK are down 14.1% on last years figures.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:37 pm

Agree with Fontana here Steve, although BMW is not a little bubble, BMW sales are strong and there is a reason for that, Good products, good marketing and good dealer network with a customer service second to none.

Outside India and China BMW are probably (I guess) the only mainstream manufacturer who are claiming strong progress on sales from previous years.

MY R1200R LC is feckin amazing! :D
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Return to “Boxerbanter”