NC500 route

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

das bike u1100s

NC500 route

Postby das bike u1100s » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:18 pm

I'm planning a week trip round Scotland at the end of the month, and would like to take in the NC500 route.
Does anyone know of, or have a link where I can download the route to my garmin.
Many thanks for any help or guides.
Paul.
Ps.
Im going soft/getting old, its in a camper van :oops: picked up from Glasgow.
Never touched it, honest!
2019.Triump explorer 1200xca. The upstart
2016. K1200r. Fun, but mad
2004. 2004 bcr, my pride & joy, 70000mls on
2001 ducati st4
2000 yamaha fazer 600. born again
1982 kwacker 1000j2. they did away with the kick start

Grip Fast

Re: NC500 route

Postby Grip Fast » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:52 pm

Can't help with your question, but enjoy the trip.

JamesL

Postby JamesL » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:27 am

The NC500 website has lots of info and Google seems to be useful. You might still have to plot your own route though.

Basically start at Inverness and follow the coast one way or the other I think...

NC500 divides opinion and in high season can be a nightmare apparently. The roads simply can't take the volume of traffic, so everything crawls along behind the slowest camper van up front :D . I was up there in July and got stuck in a full on Strand-style traffic jam at the top of the Pass of the Cattle for instance - does rather burst your bubble!

That said you should be ok and you'll be at the head of the queue anyway :mrgreen: . If you haven't been up there for a while the distances are immense, I'd forgotten quite how big Scotland is. And the Myrtle Bank hotel in Gairloch does epic food...

J

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:39 am

das bike u1100s wrote:I'm planning a week trip round Scotland at the end of the month, and would like to take in the NC500 route.
Does anyone know of, or have a link where I can download the route to my garmin.
Many thanks for any help or guides.
Paul.
Ps.
Im going soft/getting old, its in a camper van :oops: picked up from Glasgow.

It's easy to program in, there's not much of a choice of roads up there :D

Roughly it's

https://goo.gl/maps/cNrDrMQXFvT2

This is a Garmin gpx (inside the zip file) from a trip I did with my mates last year

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk/motorcycle/tr ... otland.zip

Hope that helps?
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

kfrogzx7

Postby kfrogzx7 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:57 am

Simon.
K100rs, R1100s, R1150rs, R1200st, K1300s

kfrogzx7

Postby kfrogzx7 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:01 am

JamesL wrote:The NC500 website has lots of info and Google seems to be useful. You might still have to plot your own route though.

Basically start at Inverness and follow the coast one way or the other I think...

NC500 divides opinion and in high season can be a nightmare apparently. The roads simply can't take the volume of traffic, so everything crawls along behind the slowest camper van up front :D . I was up there in July and got stuck in a full on Strand-style traffic jam at the top of the Pass of the Cattle for instance - does rather burst your bubble!

That said you should be ok and you'll be at the head of the queue anyway :mrgreen: . If you haven't been up there for a while the distances are immense, I'd forgotten quite how big Scotland is. And the Myrtle Bank hotel in Gairloch does epic food...

J

Yes, endorse that advice, don't think 200 mls in a day is easy , if you can only average about 40 mph it's a long day in the saddle !!
Simon.
K100rs, R1100s, R1150rs, R1200st, K1300s

fizzerian

Postby fizzerian » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:37 am

do the zip wire just before thurso,great fun ,its on your route

John Coles

Postby John Coles » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:43 am

Nothing to do with the actual post sorry but I notice the same thing in Switzerland; passes in 'the season' are chockablock. When I had the Subaru always went first thing after they open and have also been about now before they get snowed in. I can imaging how bad N500 could get in high season. My main question is can you still outrun the midges :D I hate the blighters as they always are on full attack mode when I am around!!
Serendipity?... it just happens :shock:

das bike u1100s

Postby das bike u1100s » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:41 pm

Thanks all for reply's and guides to the NC500.
Jenny and myself returned last night from our four day trip of beautiful Scotland (other parts of the UK such as Wales or the Isle of Dogs are also available)
The weather Gods were on our side for a change, plus being the arse end of the holiday season it meant our hired white van/burger van/camper van was at the head/causing of any jams, whilst also bringing up the rear!
Due to delayed starts (couldn't be arsed to get out of the bunk to early) we only really hit the Isle of Skye in the four days we had the van. Sadly, the Talisker whiskey distillery was open, so I popped in and asked for a bottle of Penderyn!! :bom:
On the slow meandering drive back, we passed through Glen Coe where we parked up for the night at a camp site. whilst walking to the bog we spied a table set out with several bottles of single malt whiskeys, thinking it was a free sampling table I rushed across only to find an elderly ish American couple enjoying the best Scotland has to offer, not only that, but they were over here to buy Cuban cigars (I thought the good ole U S of A and Cuba had kissed and made up, not apparently so)
Leaving Glen Coe we drifted through Killin, bringing back memories of our boxertrix visit back in when? then through the Trossachs before plummeting back down to Glasgow where we picked the rented van up from Dockin vans or a very similar name.
I always try to support small firms when doing business, but Unfortulantly this time its bitten my hand. Not only was the van we had hired not available/back (we were phoned two hours before pick up) but the only other van they could offer (a 17 plate) was in a bit of a state. we also found the on board water tank lost its contents over a 5 hour period giving us a water feature around the van. Their customer relations department also seems to be sadly lacking in communication.
Docking vans aside, we had a relaxing time taking in all Scotland has to offer.
Thanks again to all that offered advice.
Paul and Jenny
Never touched it, honest!
2019.Triump explorer 1200xca. The upstart
2016. K1200r. Fun, but mad
2004. 2004 bcr, my pride & joy, 70000mls on
2001 ducati st4
2000 yamaha fazer 600. born again
1982 kwacker 1000j2. they did away with the kick start

Return to “Boxerbanter”