Carbon lid

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

John Coles

Carbon lid

Postby John Coles » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:04 am

I was mooching around in a well known bike clothing store and came across a Shark carbon fibre crash helmet. I have been thinking of one with a drop down inner sun visor for a while as riding through the longer Swiss tunnels with the shades on all the time is a little bit 'off'. I have a physically small head evident by needing the smallest shell size in the model I tried on. Other main plus for me was it seemed quite light weight. However although it had correct safety stickers etc. any negative feedback known by anyone on this type of lid? Thanks.
Serendipity?... it just happens :shock:

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Re: Carbon lid

Postby Paul » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:40 am

Hi John,

Which model is it? I know several folks with the Sharks Evo flip front helmet who are very happy with their purchases, but I don't think I know anyone with one of the fixed full face lids. Sorry I can't be more helpful than that.

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:33 am

I have a Shark ExploreR which is a carbon aramid mix. Fits really well and is light with great vision through the max sized anti fog visor. I wear it rather than my Schuberth if I am going on longer journeys or wearing my glasses instead of contact lenses. Would recommend based on my experience.
10 KTM RC8

John Coles

Postby John Coles » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:38 am

Hi Paul, must admit I did not look at the model type or number the sales assistant just handed it to me as an example of the inner sun visor type of helmet. It was a fixed not a flip front. I have tried flip fronts in the past and have never got on with them always found them out of balance as it were.
Serendipity?... it just happens :shock:

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:53 pm

Shark lids are decent quality imho. I have had a SP2 R. Sold it when I sold my bcr. Wish now I had not. The carbon lids are ok but light weight means things are pared down to a minimum. OK for racers but in the real world you do need something with a bit of substance. The paint finish and lacquer coats are what define a quality helmet. Pick up an Arai, or Shoei and see what quality finish is all about. For the price Shark represent good value for money in comparison to the aforementioned.

We are wearing agv at the moment. Think I am paying for VR46 sponsorship rather than full value towards the Lid.

Try one on, look at the lining, visor quality, depth of lacquer. Ask yourself it is really worth what they are asking.

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Mitch1100

Postby Mitch1100 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:50 pm

I have the Shark Race-R Pro Carbon, my 2nd Shark carbon lid and for fit, comfort, ventilation wouldn't buy anything else.
This is a reasonable guide to helmets https://sharp.dft.gov.uk
2009 HP2 Sport...sold
2006 R1200s with yellow rim tape
2008 Ducati Monster S4RS Tricolore..sold
2004 R1100s BoxerCup Replika..sold
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318/600

Return to “Boxerbanter”