BMW Build Quality, has it improved?

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

boxerscott

BMW Build Quality, has it improved?

Postby boxerscott » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:19 pm

https://www.r1200rlc.com/forum/main-for ... ack-to-bmw

Ok read this guys post, then read the previous one he posted about his R1200rlc 2016 models corrosion, photies included.

https://www.r1200rlc.com/forum/main-for ... oose-paint

I have the same bike. Why will mine be different? How has this happened? 1500miles for FFS!

I am worried.

Let me guess, he lives near a chemical plant with giant stacks gushing out acid rain?

He did his 1500 miles in Boulby Potash mine (under the north sea) where all our road salt comes from.

Or it was put together in China

Any signs of that on mine and it to is going back. Assholes, do they not learn?
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Herb

Re: BMW Build Quality, has it improved?

Postby Herb » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:33 am

While I would expect better, these corrosion issues are certainly not unique to BMW. Motorcycles are inherently prone to these issues, given the need to balance weight and aesthetics with function and the exposed nature of some of the components.

I know of people with Hondas, Yamahas and KTMs all suffering some issues, so presume all brands suffer to a degree.

What I have found is that BMW dealers (generally) are better than most at dealing with these issues and getting replacement parts.

I spray my bikes with FS365 after every wash, and I find very little by way of corrosion. Didn't stop the peeling on the front cover though. Ho hum.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... _rev/25695
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:31 pm

Agree with second post. I'm on my second LC 1200 and that type of corrosion is not common, guess the odd bike will always slip through QC.
I accept that I'm buying an expensive toy and will be checking things over as I approach end of warranty and probably extending same - price of playing in this playground :D

I calculate ownership on smiles per mile and while I accept this guy is not a happy chappy I'm still smiling a lot. It is what it is ....

Jeff Highland

Postby Jeff Highland » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:39 pm

That's about the same level of corrosion as my '93 RS

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:22 pm

In fairness, OZ has a different climate to UK. We have a tendency to try to liberate our road surfaces from the effects of winter with a good dosing of acidic anti slip salts. A poorly prepped commute will soon see the ravages of a winter spent on the road. last year in the UK was not a bad winter, I am surprised at the low mileage and extent of the corrosion on this example.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

Jeff Highland

Postby Jeff Highland » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:09 am

Absolutely

Topcat

Postby Topcat » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:27 pm

Same thing on my RS, its the pannier rails, not the frame. After about 1 week!

Called BMW (CW's) and sent photos and they did a little digging around...

Complaint
Corrosion occurs in the rear area of the case holders.
Measure
Since 9/3/2016, the vent hole in the case holders has been sealed at the factory.
In the event of a complaint, clean the bore hole in the case holders that have already been supplied and seal them with Sikaflex (see picture_001.jpg).

If think some bikes have been sitting around from before or if the rails are added after its left the factory? Don't know.

Anyway, just filled mine with ACF50 as recommended and CW's will sort at next service.

Agree it shouldn't happen but its part of the manufacturing process. If you have problem, get onto the dealer. Mines not yet seen a dry day and after 3000miles (in two months) no other issues yet. Can't comment on the other issues, mines fine so far.

Al

Postby Al » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:31 pm

Lots of corrosion threads on UKGSER, most about corrosion along engine case joins, a lot of engines/casings being replaced under warranty, also paint issues with centre stand, rear frame and final drive covers.
As with just about everything else bikes/ cars are built as cheaply as possible, this means they are now built in countries that are not used to working to European quality control standards and it is taking longer than manufacturers anticipated to get it right, also with a very high percentage of vehicles now on pcp deals the "owners" are not bothered as in 3 years they upgrade to another new vehicle, the people who will suffer are those of us who buy older used vehicles that will now be in a less desirable condition.
If the amount of rework is to be believed it must be costing BMW a fortune, also as used bikes from a dealer have a warranty there must be a fair bit of work/cost involved to restore poor condition ex pcp bikes to the standard expected from a one owner bike for sale in a main dealer, or do the tatty ones get offloaded to the local bike shop down the road!

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:19 pm

Al wrote:Lots of corrosion threads on UKGSER, most about corrosion along engine case joins, a lot of engines/casings being replaced under warranty, also paint issues with centre stand, rear frame and final drive covers.
As with just about everything else bikes/ cars are built as cheaply as possible, this means they are now built in countries that are not used to working to European quality control standards and it is taking longer than manufacturers anticipated to get it right, also with a very high percentage of vehicles now on pcp deals the "owners" are not bothered as in 3 years they upgrade to another new vehicle, the people who will suffer are those of us who buy older used vehicles that will now be in a less desirable condition.
If the amount of rework is to be believed it must be costing BMW a fortune, also as used bikes from a dealer have a warranty there must be a fair bit of work/cost involved to restore poor condition ex pcp bikes to the standard expected from a one owner bike for sale in a main dealer, or do the tatty ones get offloaded to the local bike shop down the road!

Al.
So it would appear that BMW build quality has not improved, I thought the paint system on my bcr was shxte and was dearly hoping that the new bike would be much better. my cleaning regime will have to take account of what has been said. My pannier rails and rear luggage rack are coming off for inspection this weekend. No signs yet of Bubblin` Covered 3248 miles so far , not seen road salt but have ridden in a couple of downpours.

Re the comments about pcp bikes, the dealers will not be charitable about the buy back value for that I am sure, the punter will take the hit.
Fiat Panda.

Return to “Boxerbanter”