BMW Berlin

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

GRAgusta

BMW Berlin

Postby GRAgusta » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:59 am

Jenny and I are having a weekend in Berlin ... why? Because I quite like James Blunt, and have seen him play live before. Tonight he is playing the 60000 seat Mercedes Benz Arena and we will be there.

So with some time to kill in Berlin, this afternoon we are going on a tour of the BMW plant.

I have already been to Varese near Milan and seen the MV Agusta production line, and I have been to Borgo Panigale to see where our Diavels were made, so it will be interesting to see what BMW have on show at the birth place of their motorcycle production.
Gawaine

2003 R1100S
2007 MV Agusta F4 1000R
2013 Ducati Diavel Hers
2023 Motorrad R1250RS SE

2020 911 992 C2SC

GRAgusta

Re: BMW Berlin

Postby GRAgusta » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:25 am

Well then, how was our trip to Am Juliusturm?

Overall interesting, fun, but compared to our trip to Borgo Panigale and Varese a little lacking in passion.

There is clearly a passion for HSE, training, personal well being in the workplace, breaks and relaxation facilities ..... but what about the bikes. We felt that more passion for the bikes was apparent in our visit to Bologna.

But anyway it is always good getting to see things being made, raw materials being turned into something tangible.

We saw ....

crankshafts and con rods being machined from raw forgings,
boxer engines being assembled - 166 units target for the day was forecast to be beaten by + 3
initial testing of boxer engines - pressure test and cold turnover
assembly of spoked wheels for GS and RnineT scramblers
production line for K1600 and RnineT

There are five production lines, we were only shown one. We saw the K1600 / RnineT line after the marriage of frame and engine, so we didn't see the frames getting assembled.

And we stood outside the riding test bay, but were not allowed in because there was a new prototype inside. So sad not to see the bikes fired up - at Ducati and MV I got to see the dynamometer engine testing.

Anyways, it was a worthwhile afternoon and now I have been to the birthplace of all my bikes. :lol:

ImageIMG_0423 by Gawaine Appleby, on Flickr
ImageIMG_0422 by Gawaine Appleby, on FlickrImageIMG_0421 by Gawaine Appleby, on Flickr
Gawaine

2003 R1100S
2007 MV Agusta F4 1000R
2013 Ducati Diavel Hers
2023 Motorrad R1250RS SE

2020 911 992 C2SC

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:03 pm

Great post Gawaine. Very interesting.

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Al

Postby Al » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:05 pm

Could be expensive! Your other half looks a good fit on that s1000r, and it matches her shoes :lol:

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:06 am

Just noticed the sea land containers :idea: Were those the ones recovered from the channel?

:)
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

barnstormer

Postby barnstormer » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:21 pm

While you in the area, pop into the paint shop and see if you can find a can of etch primer and show 'em how to use it :D

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:29 pm

barnstormer wrote:While you in the area, pop into the paint shop and see if you can find a can of etch primer and show 'em how to use it :D
Wot he sed! :)
Fiat Panda.

GRAgusta

Postby GRAgusta » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:58 pm

Re Al's comment:

love it .... she was comfy on the S1000RR, and I have two photos of Jenny collecting a new car which colour matched her shoes ... :shock:

and Barnstormer ....

we have all had paint falling of the BMW, my thoughts are it is an excellent engineered concept, well delivered, but there is a passion gap between the producers and the users. Compared to other factories I've visited BMW did not speak to the user about how they are enjoying using the product.
Gawaine

2003 R1100S
2007 MV Agusta F4 1000R
2013 Ducati Diavel Hers
2023 Motorrad R1250RS SE

2020 911 992 C2SC

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:28 pm

GRAgusta wrote: Compared to other factories I've visited BMW did not speak to the user about how they are enjoying using the product.
thinking? manufacturers of lots of products do not do this, Guillotine, Old sparky, dentists drill, waxing! Or Is it a case of how the punter perceives in trying to make the dream real? I bought a Guzzi (with my heart) it was definitely not passionate. It was a period of un -marriedness! :wink:

Chris
Fiat Panda.

Return to “Boxerbanter”