A thought provoking day

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

GRAgusta

A thought provoking day

Postby GRAgusta » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:05 pm

Ok, so I have passed the minimum age to access my pension, I have pretty well given up on "career" 'cos I have probably already peaked on influence and progress. So I am wondering do we need to keep on strugling when we know that we'll be fine by most metrics if we pack it all in now.

Today we were at the funeral of a friend and colleague, who retired at 60, and died at 63.

Strangely it has been a nice sad day, meeting old friends who haven't had time to get back together, but all had come together today and reconnected so quickly.

The newly widowed friend was very strong, she enjoyed sharing jokes, memories, and discussions about options for her future. And in her eulogy to her husband she said how they had discussed this would be the last thing they do together. Brave lady.

An emotional day, but during it I met a mutual good friend who I have facebooked and texted but not met in 5 years. He retired at 62 and at 64 he has just been diagnosed with Parkinson's.

Today brings home to me that maybe work should be left to the youngsters.
Gawaine

2003 R1100S
2007 MV Agusta F4 1000R
2013 Ducati Diavel Hers
2023 Motorrad R1250RS SE

2020 911 992 C2SC

Grip Fast

Re: A thought provoking day

Postby Grip Fast » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:32 pm

I jumped ship and took my pension at 64, and highly recommend it. But, I think it is key to have a plan of what to do with your time day-to-day, create a bucket list of exciting things to do and see (and make sure you get ticking them off), and set challenges for your mind (learn a foreign language, musical instrument, etc). Push yourself do something a bit scary too (I studied radiotelephony, then sat the exam - I hate exams, but it felt brilliant when I passed).

Take account of rainy days too - I didn't and the first dawn to dusk rainy day came as a complete surprise and a bit of a shock - I'd only planned outdoor stuff to do up to that point. Being retired can be brilliant if you work at it.

I have a very good life-long friend who did the same and he too is having a great time. But a mutual friend of ours didn't. He just stopped work. After a month he was "bored shitless", and now he is suffering from depression.

Your post is a reminder that we don't know what's round the corner, so if circumstances allow you to retire, spend a little time planning it, do it, and grab life with both hands and enjoy it while you can.

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:28 pm

I think even deciding what 'retired ' means helps.
My parents in law left paid jobs some years ago but now fill their time doing the school run, assisting with kids' clubs ad helping out in a family shop - so minds and bodies are active, just with new activities.
I think you are only fully retired when you have not more goals left - either personal or professional.

bikemad99

Postby bikemad99 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:07 pm

I have just passed 10yrs retired,most days I do nothing and I don`t start that til after lunch.The main thing you need is some hobbies & enough funds to enjoy them.I think it helps if you are not too bright,then you do not have any great ambitions,much like my working life,which over numerous jobs I always enjoyed.For me & Gwen who have been married 55yrs,life has been pretty good with reasonably good health,lots of great holidays around the world,and many lovely friends ,although like everyone we have had very sad losses.For us retirement has been very good so I recomend it.
Old Reg.
2000 BMW R1100s
1964 Royal Enfield 250cc Crusader
2012 Mazda Mx5 2.0ltr Kuro.
2004 Roller Team Granduca 171.
1992 Jaguar 4ltr Sovereign.
2018 Volvo t3 v40 Cross Country.
Reg & Gwen.

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:16 pm

I decided earlier this year to pack up full time employment .

Many reasons , but mainly my health .

I have COPD , and British winters hammer me really hard .

3 years ago , I bought an apartment in a little Spanish village , so I packed up UK , sold , gave away and dumped loads of stuff .

I've still got to fetch my Ford Fiesta and Al's old Silver BMW here, then I'm pretty much settled .

I've picked up a few small jobs, no stress , just enjoy , so in my case , Semi-Retirement is fantastic .

I'm 62 , nearly 63, and need to live in a warm dry environment , South east Spain is my place of choice .

On top of that , it doesn't hurt that the sun shines a lot , the roads are very very good .
Old man ... now .
Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

Return to “Boxerbanter”