Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

Topcat

Re: Brecon TT

Postby Topcat » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:35 am

Part of of the Welsh weekend 2018 ride out maybe?

kfrogzx7

Postby kfrogzx7 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:03 am

Wouldn't it be great to have a Mad Welsh Sunday too ?

Anyway, great news and definitely one to be inked into the diary.
Simon.
K100rs, R1100s, R1150rs, R1200st, K1300s

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:24 pm

I was so convinced it was a wind up that I researched before I believed it.
The area is already used for car rally stages. After the circuit of Wales debacle the is amazingly good news. Fingers crossed to grows as intended. As regards a 'Classic' the circuit, being brand new has no history as such so this might take more marketing to appeal to owners of valuable bikes to run them, unlike Goodwood and IOM where the bikes are often returning to old haunts.

Interesting to consider field sizes. Five mile lap with two setting off together - average speed of 120mph ( appreciate that may be high but I can't see 75mph average attracting racers or spectators, so logic dictates the circuit will have to be fast) would mean 2m30 sec lap. Ten seconds intervals means 12 setting off per minute, and allowing time to clear the grid means a race size of 30 ish ? That's quite small to attract a good field. :shock:

Anyway, I will be there - and very much looking forward to it already :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: , the location is very accessible from all points UK so I anticipate traffic mayhem !

Ekimyrf

Postby Ekimyrf » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:46 pm

Seems that 2/3 of the track is on MOD land be interesting to see if you can access those areas for spectating ?

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:23 pm

Would not count the chickens before they hatch. These events take massive planning and have to get by several different layers of scrutiny. It would have to have large financial positives for the locality, get by policing (lets face it welsh policing is not exactly biker friendly) and then someone has to sign it off. Would you? People are going to die, wether it is on track or off, that is a fact.

Top of that can the road racing scene accommodate it?

It is touch and go if Scarborough Council will sign off Olivers Mount next year.

I will be pleasantly surprised if it gets the go ahead and the financial support it will need in its first few years.

Good Luck Wales
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

adam

Postby adam » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:44 pm

There's been a big meeting with the owners, Council, and Solicitors over in Scarborough, and I suspect that racing will go ahead next year when some alterations have been made there. I sincerely hope so, as I'm a member of the Auto 66 Club that uses the circuit. As for the Welsh Road Race, there's a lot going on behind the scenes, some of the top riders won't be there. I think steps have been taken to avoid the front grid runners coming around to the start/ finish line, while the slower lads in qualifying are still on the grid. I don't know what these steps are yet. I wish them well, but there's a lot of water to go under the bridge in the next few months:? I've always maintained that the ideal venue for a Welsh TT would be the roads under the 'Mach Loop' that the joint services fly (On You Tube, and well worth a watch). The loop is a similar length to the Mountain Circuit, the roads are as good and access points for spectating, both inside and out outside the circuit, could remain open. It would also be suitable for smaller 2 strokes as the altitude differences aren't as great. On the Island, do you jet your 2 stroke for the full throttle climb up The Mountain or keep it rich enough to prevent melting the motor at sea level along Sulby Straight etc, it's always a compromise there? I've petitioned the ACU about the Mach Loop several times.

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:34 pm

I thought it was a done deal for this coming August???

https://www.welshroadrace.com/event-details/

Steve
Well-weathered leather

Hot metal and oil

The scented country air

Sunlight on chrome

The blur of the landscape

Every nerve aware

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:19 am

Boxered wrote:I thought it was a done deal for this coming August???

https://www.welshroadrace.com/event-details/

Steve
They are certainly talking it up Steve, have you tried to buy a ticket? you can not access ticket info (ie t and c`s) so who has invested in it? They have been granted a license by the park owners indeed, that is only one layer, bit like planning permission, does not mean it will get by other layers of scrutiny or get investment cos it will need it, ticket sales alone will not cover the inaugural costs of funding such an ambitious project. Especially when you can not access the contract details of buying a ticket. Try buying one and let us know how you get on? :wink:

Anyway good luck to Wales and the enthusiasts behind this event.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

SP250

Postby SP250 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:07 pm

Phil Morris is one person behind the organisation of the event.
Part of the Morris family in Shrewsbury who own Morris Oils, a string of carehomes and a large construction and development company.
He is not short of cash and set up the Oswestry road racing bike museum a couple of years ago.
I guess he will know many potential sponsors and be helping with the various negotiations to make it happen.
John M

Britisherspy

Postby Britisherspy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:47 pm

I rode my Boxer on those very roads earlier this year and nearly crashed, its good tarmac all new and just sucks you in to ride fast.

Britisherspy

Postby Britisherspy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:48 pm

I rode my Boxer on those very roads earlier this year and nearly crashed, its good tarmac all new and just sucks you in to ride fast.

adam

Postby adam » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:28 pm

SP250 wrote:Phil Morris is one person behind the organisation of the event.
Part of the Morris family in Shrewsbury who own Morris Oils, a string of carehomes and a large construction and development company.
He is not short of cash and set up the Oswestry road racing bike museum a couple of years ago.
I guess he will know many potential sponsors and be helping with the various negotiations to make it happen.

Phil Morris is no relation to the Morris family who own Morris Lubricants and he's recently sold his Oswestry based business, which was nothing to do with with Morris Lubricants. A few people think there's a connection, but I think it only goes as far as helping him with oils for his bike collection.

Britisherspy

Postby Britisherspy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:33 am

adam wrote:
SP250 wrote:Phil Morris is one person behind the organisation of the event.

Phil Morris is no relation to the Morris family who own Morris Lubricants and he's recently sold his Oswestry based business, which was nothing to do with with Morris Lubricants. A few people think there's a connection, but I think it only goes as far as helping him with oils for his bike collection.

I think Fuchs in Hanley make Morris oils as well as Silcolene

adam

Postby adam » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:05 pm

It's some years since I had a trip around their 'Blending Room' in Shrewsbury, so you may well be correct? It was by invitation of a mate who married into the Morris (lubricants) family. Phil Morris is a local businessman from Oswestry who I also had a passing aquaintance with.

Return to “Boxerbanter”