Mobile Charging

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

slparry

Mobile Charging

Postby slparry » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:13 am

For some reason on different annual trips to Scotland I've had issues charging my 'phones.

This year I took two chargers and cables, both of which I'd tested as good at home. Both of which gave problems again! Even bought a charger locally "just in case" and it made no difference.

Luckily I had the bike set up so there was a charger in the tank bag powered by the bikes socket, which worked a treat, so I had the bike charge it during the days riding.

The USB chargers I had worked perfectly on the BMW comms system in the helmet. But would be flaky charging the 'phone.

One hotel, The Garvault Lodge Hotel in Kinbrace I accepted would probably be problematic as it's listed as the UK mainlands most remote hotel, doesn't have mains water, mains electric, TV's etc. Although you could get internet access from one corner of the hotel :D Very eccentric place, as me and my mate were the only guests the owners invited us to dine with them, very interesting couple.

Anyway back to the question has anyone else had any charge issues or is it just me :)

Oh of course once back home the 'phones all charge as per normally
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Grip Fast

Re: Mobile Charging

Postby Grip Fast » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:21 pm

I use a multi-port USB charger for phone, iPad, helmet Bluetooth headphones, and camera (posh one that's better than phone camera). The multi-port has always worked a treat in UK, France and Spain - never had a problem. According to blurb, it is 'intelligent' enough to work out charging requirements of each device that is plugged in. Quite small - it's mainly all the USB cables that takes up the luggage space.

I've just checked, it's an iClever 6-port wall charger, though I've never used it for charging walls, so cannot comment on that. :D

Neil178

Postby Neil178 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:25 pm

Been doing some reading recently on the GS site on the camping forum. Some good advice there on all manner of things including electronic charging. Most take a big power pack and charge phones, helmets, etc from the pack. When on a ride it gets charged from the bike to top it back up. That’s much the same as I did in Germany this year and it worked well. If the bike isn’t being used they reckon it’s good for a week. You could always take it with you to the pub/cafe for a top up if camping off site.

Al

Postby Al » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:00 am

We use a power pack charger on our travels, you can usually get 2-3 re charges for iPad/ phone etc and you can recharge power pack from 240v & usb/ cigarette sockets on the move and the power pack will recharge a phone etc whilst being recharged itself. We have an ANKER power core A1271; 20,000 Mha, ours is not much bigger than a phone.
Anything over 30,000Mha are not allowed in aircraft.

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

Return to “Boxerbanter”