New jacket.....

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

milleplod

New jacket.....

Postby milleplod » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:20 pm

My Rukka jacket's around 11 years old now, bought from Germany back when the exchange rate made it worthwhile! Although its getting on, its never leaked, all the zips and Velcro bits still work perfectly - in fact, the only 'faults' in all that time have been a zip-pull breaking and the rubberised coating coming off one of the press-stud fasteners...pretty good going really. :) Over the last couple of years, I've toyed with the idea of replacing it, but the thought of spending £7-800 (or more!) put me off somewhat.....then I started reading about 'Goretex laminate' jackets, also bloody pricey....but I realised I'd been putting up with older technology for far too long! :shock:

Riding in the wet, my Rukka could hold more than its own weight in water I reckon - 'wetting out' in tech-speak. On some trips, it would still be wet through the following day, creating a lovely (not!) chilling effect if inclement weather continued, as it often did. Anyway, laminated kit would seem to be the way forward and, by coincidence, an eMail from Motolegends landed last Friday. It was about the laminated kit they now have available - Rukka, Stadler and Halvarssons. Jackets from the first two are around the £1k mark....gulp! :shock: To be honest, I can't justify that sort of expenditure as I simply don't do the miles these days, so I scrolled down to the Halvarssons stuff. A pleasant surprise indeed! :)

I bought one of their new 'Wolf' jackets - Dryway+ laminate, with all the usual trimmings expected on a decent jacket - air venting system, removable Outlast/Thinsulate liner, shoulder and elbow armour (back protector is extra though), even an attachable hi-viz vest (no 'POLITE' on it though, shame! :lol: ). It cost £519 delivered, which, whilst not cheap, is a bit of a bargain compared to other laminated stuff. It came today - I can't believe how light it is in comparison to my Rukka, and also how flexible it feels out of the box - its as if its been broken in over a long time....my Rukka took a lot of wearing before it felt anything but bulky and stiff. Its nicely understated too, just how I like my kit.

I'll report back in due course on its ability to keep me warm and dry - I've a trip coming up at the end of May, going across France into Spain - every time I've done this run, the weather has been very mixed (even had snow once!) so 2 weeks and 2.5k miles should give it a good test! :D

Pete
rsz_wolf(1).png
rsz_wolf(1).png (64.01 KiB) Viewed 9525 times
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Re: New jacket.....

Postby Paul » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:36 am

Hi Pete,

I bought a Halvarssons ventilated leather jacket and trousers from Motolegends for summer use, and I've been impressed with the quality of it in the two seasons I've used it. I also have a Rukka suit, and was pleased to find that both Halvarssons and Rukka use the same connecting zip size, so I can mix and match the trousers and jackets from both suits and have them zip together securely. Last year I "invested" in an end of old stock Rukka airflow mesh jacket which was on special offer at Motolegends, and that zipped to my Halvarssons trousers is my ideal hot weather combination.

If anyone has not used Motolegends to buy gear, I can thoroughly recommend them. They not only have great range of gear, but also will undercut any lower advertised price by 10% and have a great returns policy. If you turn up at the shop just south of Guildford, they do a good cup of coffee and a tasty home made shortbread biscuit for the great price of absolutely free.

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:59 pm

Hi Paul.

Yes, Motolegends were very helpful with advice over the phone when I ordered the jacket - if it wasn't so far away (I suggested they opened a branch 'up north' asap!) I would have loved to call in for a root around. One thing I did query about the returns was that Collect+, their preferred courier, will only insure an item up to the value of £300 - not much use for quite a lot of stuff these days. Anyway, I was told that, in the unlikely even that a return parcel did go missing, Motolegends will pay the difference over the £300 cover offered by the courier - good news indeed. :)

I wonder if the new jacket will zip to BMW stuff.....off upstairs to see, its only just occurred to me!....I've got a pair of 3-Phasen trousers (actually 1-Phasen, as I've not got the liner or the overtrousers!) and a pair of Allround ones. :roll:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:51 pm

Hi Pete, I looked at that jacket and I'm tempted - cannot justify the cost for Rukka so it will be interesting what you make of it. I have Dainese jacket and trousers and I'm less than impressed. My old Hein Gericke jacket is brilliant but a bit too warm for continental touring. Might make a weekend of it when if I finally do decide on Halversons and ride down and pick it up - I've just got the Halversons hoodie fleece that is getting discontinued from Motolegends - half price levelly and should be warm
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:01 pm

The overheating thing with the Rukka has got me more than a few times - I can remember being near Magny Cours a few years ago when the temp was around 38deg, not enjoyable at all! :shock: I reckon the Rukka was too much once temps got anywhere over 20deg really, I think the new one will be an improvement.....I think I've read that when its hot, the liner should still be worn, which seems a bit counter-intuitive. :? Its to do with how the liner's material works....unless I've misread it of course! :lol:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:18 am

Hi Pete, Is that an outlast liner? They use "phase changing" properties (no, me neither...) to warm you up when you are cold and cool you down when you are hot, allegedly.
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Al

Postby Al » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:21 pm

Currently riding in 34c in an Alpinestars string vest with body armour, 'kin brilliant piece of kit, shame about the chilly temps back home for you boys :lol:

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:30 am

Paul wrote:Hi Pete, Is that an outlast liner? They use "phase changing" properties (no, me neither...) to warm you up when you are cold and cool you down when you are hot, allegedly.

Yep, Outlast - its as light as a feather. I might turn the heating right up and sit next to a radiator while wearing it, just to see.... :lol:

Al wrote:Currently riding in 34c in an Alpinestars string vest with body armour, 'kin brilliant piece of kit, shame about the chilly temps back home for you boys :lol:

Al.

Photos of you in the string vest, or it never happened! :lol:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Al

Postby Al » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:11 am

Got one of Sue in a ladies version will that do :D

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

adam

Postby adam » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:57 pm

After witnessing my mate bin his R1 last year, I can vouch for the air bag system that Dainese use - he walked away with just hurt pride! I went out and bought the very same set of leathers after that. Following this, Mrs Adam (who manages a Dept in a local Orthopaedic Hospital - and has plenty of motorcyclists as 'customers') bought me the Dainese air bag Cyclone touring jacket. It's warm, waterproof and hopefully offers good protection. There's no lanyard to trigger the airbags, it has a GPS to trigger the gas when the riders gets into 'unusual attitudes' :lol: The only minor draw back is, it takes a few seconds to go online, but by the time you've got your gloves on, you are armed. The price is a bit of a shock, but if I'm ever lying in the road post crash, I don't want to be thinking 'I wish......' :lol:

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:25 pm

milleplod wrote:Riding in the wet, my Rukka could hold more than its own weight in water I reckon - 'wetting out' in tech-speak. On some trips, it would still be wet through the following day, creating a lovely (not!) chilling effect if inclement weather continued, as it often did.
Pete
rsz_wolf(1).png

I have a couple of old Hein Gericke goretex jackets that do the same and was thinking along the same lines as you but the cheapskate in me purchased an inexpensive single layer nylon type hi viz jacket in a xxxl size that fits over the Goretex jacket. Result !! Dry jacket all winter ( And it's been a very wet winter)

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:23 pm

nab 301 wrote:
milleplod wrote:Riding in the wet, my Rukka could hold more than its own weight in water I reckon - 'wetting out' in tech-speak. On some trips, it would still be wet through the following day, creating a lovely (not!) chilling effect if inclement weather continued, as it often did.
Pete
rsz_wolf(1).png

I have a couple of old Hein Gericke goretex jackets that do the same and was thinking along the same lines as you but the cheapskate in me purchased an inexpensive single layer nylon type hi viz jacket in a xxxl size that fits over the Goretex jacket. Result !! Dry jacket all winter ( And it's been a very wet winter)

I can relate to 'cheapskate', I really can! :lol: I spent a fair while justifying the spend, then talked myself out of it.....then re-convinced myself, etc etc, till it got to the point where my wife said if I didn't get on with it she would spend the funds on a few days away (again... :roll: ) on a spa break. That did the trick! :lol:

I do like the idea, though, of just having one garment (two, if I'm wearing trousers....) rather than faffing about stopping to put something else on. The trousers that match the jacket are another £300, but I'm waiting for a pair of Halvarssons 'Zen' ones to come from Race Leathers instead - They're not laminated, but are in the sale so I think I can make do! :D

Pete
Last edited by milleplod on Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nocto Diuque Venamur

pau168w

Postby pau168w » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:34 pm

I spent £1800 on a top of the range Rukka suit
I began to get buyers remorse thinking I'd spent far too much
Me and some mates went to the lakes for a weekend where it pissed down heavily all weekend . When all my buddies were getting wet and complaining of seepage I realised only then that you truly do get what you pay for!

Neil178

Postby Neil178 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:22 pm

I get a bit of seepage now and again. I think it’s an age thing ...

Return to “Boxerbanter”