bloody weather ....

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

slparry

bloody weather ....

Postby slparry » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:24 pm

.... I've never rated myself a particularly good driver, prefer the bike to the car but coming home tonight from work via the A5104 was a real challenge, my car's a rwd BMW 330Ci auto so not the best for snow, and being a cheapskate she's shod with standard sports summer tyres.

A combination of planning ahead and keeping the motion up whilst nursing the controls got the old girl home! I threaded myself through several front wheel drive cars that were abandoned and took ages to go down the steep hill near me so the car never "ran" away with itself.

I genuinely think if I'd left work 10 minutes later I'd have got stuck.

Even managed to keep enough momentum to swing onto the drive and off the road.

I suspect I'll not be going to work tomorrow!

http://gwynfryn.servebeer.com

march18.jpg
march18.jpg (48.77 KiB) Viewed 6426 times
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Grip Fast

Re: bloody weather ....

Postby Grip Fast » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:43 pm

If this was the first week of January, I'd be quite happy with a decent bit of hard winter weather, but this is 1st of March for crying out loud! The daffodils and primroses were coming into flower but are now flattened. Bloody weather, indeed.

I cut my driving teeth in Scotland, working for a boss who didn't like any excuses for not getting through to a customer, including 2 feet of snow. And I drove a basic mini 850 at the time. I learnt pretty quickly; don't touch the accelerator when starting off - it's all about fine clutch control, don't touch the brakes when moving, keep momentum going, look well ahead and anticipate. So sounds like you developed the same skills, Steve.

Did you see the program, several years ago, about the Icelandic guys driving across the glaciers? They fit balloon tyres and run them at very low psi (5psi rings a bell), and this gives them the grip they need, but occasionally a tyre will pop off the rim. So they get out, squirt lighter fluid around the rim of the tyre and chuck a match at it. The resulting explosion pops the tyre back on and at the correct pressure to continue.

slparry

Postby slparry » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:51 am

Grip Fast wrote:If this was the first week of January, I'd be quite happy with a decent bit of hard winter weather, but this is 1st of March for crying out loud! The daffodils and primroses were coming into flower but are now flattened. Bloody weather, indeed.

I cut my driving teeth in Scotland, working for a boss who didn't like any excuses for not getting through to a customer, including 2 feet of snow. And I drove a basic mini 850 at the time. I learnt pretty quickly; don't touch the accelerator when starting off - it's all about fine clutch control, don't touch the brakes when moving, keep momentum going, look well ahead and anticipate. So sounds like you developed the same skills, Steve.

Did you see the program, several years ago, about the Icelandic guys driving across the glaciers? They fit balloon tyres and run them at very low psi (5psi rings a bell), and this gives them the grip they need, but occasionally a tyre will pop off the rim. So they get out, squirt lighter fluid around the rim of the tyre and chuck a match at it. The resulting explosion pops the tyre back on and at the correct pressure to continue.

I saw that I seem to recall it was Clarkson presenting it ?
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:20 am

Bad weather here too but nowadays when the Met office issues a Red alert the country closes down . So two days of shovelling snow to prevent cabin fever.
ImageSAM_1059 (2) by Nigel Burgess, on Flickr
ImageSAM_1069 (2) by Nigel Burgess, on Flickr

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:49 am

Well ..... it's not ended well.

My boss insisted I get into work and in the process of stupidly trying I got stuck, ripped the undertray off my car on the compacted snow and the bottom hose off the engine. I'm hoping I stopped it quickly enough to prevent the head getting warped. At present it's an a neighbours drive until things clear and the RAC can get to me
--
Steve Parry

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:09 am

This is from my webcam this morning

--
Steve Parry

Sherrif

Postby Sherrif » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:10 am

He still your boss ?
Growing old is compulsory
Growing up is not

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:18 am

Sherrif wrote:He still your boss ?

after the snotty message I sent this morning to say I wouldn't be in they may not be (the pics above were from yesterday)

A neighbour drove me the 25 miles in their 4x4 to work and a customer kindly drove me home after work. No comment or thanks from employer/manager. When I saw it was snowing again this morning I just gave up and stayed at home
--
Steve Parry

Return to “Boxerbanter”