Can Anyone recommend a good sat nav repairer?

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

pau168w

Can Anyone recommend a good sat nav repairer?

Postby pau168w » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:00 pm

Hello

I have a Zumo 550 that would benefit from a new screen and currently runs about 100 yards slow.

I've also got a tomtom 1005 that doesn't recognise it's plugged into a laptop and therefore won't update

If anyone can point me in the direction of someone they know or have used I would be extremely grateful

Paul

slparry

Re: Can Anyone recommend a good sat nav repairer?

Postby slparry » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:22 am

I replaced the screen on a Garmin 2820 I got given, and on a TomTom car sat nav. Got the replacement screens off eBay. They weren't too bad to do. Fiddly but easy enough :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buctAhJDMyY
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:34 am

Me too, replaced the screens on my Garmin 550. Off ebay and not too tricky. Worth a try and if is goes wrong, then off to the repairer!
10 KTM RC8

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:51 am

Replacing the screen is one task but repairing the hardware is another. The costs of going down the repair route may prove prohibitive. Most are made overseas and that is where the skills are that could effect a repair.

You could slow down and give your nav a chance to keep up with you. :wink:
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

KTM AL

Postby KTM AL » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:41 pm

My Zumo 395 went tits up after an update, factory reset, still no good, anyway Garmin do a refeb swap with new cover ect for £86. Just waiting on it to arrive.
If all else fails you can contact them on the Garmin UK site and do an on line chat thing or even phone them if you have the time.

Topcat

Postby Topcat » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:16 pm

You could try these, never used them myself but good reviews, free quote.

https://satnavrepairservice.com/

Dave

wicker

Postby wicker » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:20 am

I've used Sat Nav repairs as suggested above twice to repair my Zumo 550; inoperative touchscreen. The first repair the device arrived back it was not working, 2nd time - damaged in transit, and the 3rd time I got a working Zumo. Turnaround was less than a week each time. To be fair they also didn't quibble about fixing it at no extra charge each of the first two times however I am a bit dubious about how thoroughly they test before shipping back and the packaging used was clearly not up the job.

Second time, similar palaver. Again a faulty touchscreen about a year after the above. Item returned to me 'repaired' but not working properly. Sent back to them a second time before I got a working Zumo.

The repair cost was a fairly reasonable at £50 to replace the screen. However each time I ended up it sending it back due to the device not being properly fixed it was another £8 for postage. If you balance the above hassle against having to junk a dead Zumo and replace it I've had a few more years of use from the device than I would otherwise have had

pau168w

Postby pau168w » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:02 pm

That would be a no then to my question
HOWEVER
I've downloaded "here" which is an iPhone mapping tool which can be used offline

I've yet to try it out but will keep you posted!

KTM AL

Postby KTM AL » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:36 am

I did get a Zumo back from Garmin , normally under a week from sending, to getting a replacement back. You get is every thing with it as when you bought it, RAM mounts , power supplies ect. Great if you want to fit it on a second bike. The sat nav is like new with new screen ect.

Return to “Boxerbanter”