My current issue.

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

boxerscott

My current issue.

Postby boxerscott » Sun May 20, 2018 9:49 pm

Mr recent purchase (gsxr 750 k5 anni) was taken in to Newcastle on Saturday for a recall. During the course of the day (the ride home) I developed a fuel issue, no warning lights but engine cutting out at 6k rpm. This could have been embarrassing to say the least if it had done this on an overtake.
I nursed the bike home and did not mess about in having the fuel tank off and the fuel pump assembly out. OMG how ever it had even started up in the morning is a complete mystery. the filter sump and filter were absolutely choked with iron oxide deposits. If I could post piccies I would, The tank was removed/uplifted during the recall to fit throttle cables. Not blaming the teccy cos this was a latent issue waiting to happen.

The bike in all its pristine glory had been off road from 2008 till 2013. Steadily eating it`s own fuel tank! I use iron oxide eating chemicals at work and promptly removed the fuel pump assembly, stripped it down and filled the tank with an appropriate solution of hydrochloric acid being mindful not to let it eat the alloy components fitted to the tank. The state of the pump assembly and its age deemed a new one would be sourced, second thought on seeing the list price £738inc!! Anyway with careful chemical assistance the fuel pump assembly is "clean" and am waiting for new filters from China before I pop her back in.

My previous Ducati was a worry fuel tank wise has it had an expanding fuel tank range and not by default! Poly composite. My Beemers? alloy tanks sensible filters and pump assemblies, side mounted not bottom lowest point. I thought I was savvie when buying used, apparently not, if I had popped open the filling cap that would have created an opportunity for more negotiation. Steel fuel tank, keep em full of good juice! I have put some effort into getting this tank stabel and it will be a constant maintenance concern with regular visits to replace the filter.

Visiting the forums it is very common.

I
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

nab 301

Re: My current issue.

Postby nab 301 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:44 pm

boxerscott wrote: Steel fuel tank, keep em full of good juice!

I

Although as ethanol is hygroscopic would you be better off draining the tank and spraying some sort of oil on the inside of the tank?

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

boxerscott

Re: My current issue.

Postby boxerscott » Wed May 23, 2018 7:27 am

Done that Nigel and popped 1/2kilo of ceramic baking beans in! gave it a good Mick Jagger maracas with a rinse of 2T fuel solution to ensure I had removed all the fines. I have also ordered some( Snake Oil?) ZX1 as a fuel additive tank protector. I mill per 1 litre for the tank. This stuff has a multiplicity of uses, they claim it acts as an inhibitor as well as a "mover" a lubeless friction reducer they say for cooling systems water pumps, diesel /petrol engines and even motorcycle chains. I am interested in that. Available on the bay. It sounds like the Elixir I was in search of!

Chris.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Return to “Boxerbanter”