GDPR Fatigue

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Grip Fast

GDPR Fatigue

Postby Grip Fast » Thu May 24, 2018 7:40 pm

Apart from one lucky bloke on here who, because of GDPR, seems to have inherited a small wine cellar from BA, is anyone else getting mightily fatigued by GDPR?

It started with a drip - RSPB, several months ago, asking me to say "yes" to receiving marketing and event information from them (ignored on the grounds I can look on their website if I want to know that stuff). Now it's a flood of emails, variously asking me to agree to the corresponding company or charity or organisation sending me more junk mail. All bar one ignored.

A few have said doing nothing is tantamount to agreeing (blooming cheek - I want ignoring you to mean "go away and delete any data you hold about me"). Some have asked me to to check that information they hold is accurate, and providing a link to the relevant info - but I have an allergy to clicking on links in emails (full stop), but from companies I don't remember ever buying anything from - delete what you hold on me and FOXTROT OSCAR!!!

And a significant number of emails are me asking to "read carefully" their data protection policy "here" (another link to potential trouble), "especially section X which details your legal bla bla bla zzzzzzzz" where X is a number that tells me there are way too many sections to read anyway, and besides I'm not a lawyer so find that stuff introduces instant narcolepsy.

Who dreamed this up? Will it change anything? I'm hoping when the flood stops, so will at least 90% of junk mail I used to get, and those I do get I can report for breaking GDPR regulations.

boxerscott

Re: GDPR Fatigue

Postby boxerscott » Thu May 24, 2018 8:47 pm

Yep I want an opt out option to. What a load of bollox. it`s all lip service and costing employers and businesses a small fortune.

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

stivesvelo

Postby stivesvelo » Sat May 26, 2018 11:22 am

I thought that you had to 'opt in' & by not replying you were declining the offer to receive further info, have I got this wrong?

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Sat May 26, 2018 12:52 pm

stivesvelo wrote:I thought that you had to 'opt in' & by not replying you were declining the offer to receive further info, have I got this wrong?

Some emails, rightly or wrongly, are saying that I don't need to do anything to continue receiving their "service" (junk mail?). I went on the RSPB forum yesterday to ask a question (about bluetits nesting in our garden), and because I ignored their plea to say "yes" to them keeping my data, I'm now persona non grata and can't login (the bluetits know what they're doing, I'm sure, so no biggie). That, I thought, was how it should work - ignore them and they wipe your data.

The bluetits, in case you care:

One parent is searching neighbouring gardens for bugs and caterpillars to feed the young, while the other parent is making a beeline back and forward to the bird feeding station, so is feeding the young seeds and odd bits of dried mealworm. They'll be fat little tits (stop sniggering), but is it healthy for them?

Return to “Boxerbanter”