To cam or not to cam?

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Neil178

To cam or not to cam?

Postby Neil178 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:14 pm

Time to have a camera when out on the road to act as a witness should an incident happen.Too many nutters out there that are strangers to the truth.
I’m still reading up on what cam is going to work the best for me. I can’t figure out where I could mount one on my 1200S. Has anyone managed this feat and is happy with it? I would appreciate knowledge by what model and where you have it.
At the moment I’m favouring a helmet mounted Stealth 2 for size and cost. I also can’t forget and leave it on the bike when it’s coffee time! Running time is up to 3 hours. I don’t know if the battery is replaceable. If so, then I will take a spare when out and about to cover a days riding. 6 hours is about 1 more than I enjoy!
I can’t imagine having a gro pro strapped to my swede. Maybe on my pushbike helmet ... that’s a licence to get all shouty isn’t it? :wink:

Boxered
Route Master

Re: To cam or not to cam?

Postby Boxered » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:17 am

I have considered / am considering this setup,

http://www.nortek.co.uk/bike-bro-dual-c ... cycle-dvr/

it works like your car dash cam but with both front and rear cams. The one in the link is branded Nortek, but ebay searches show the same item available for a fraction of the cost from china.

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:35 am

Helmet mounted Stealth 2 is the way I have gone for the past couple of years. Any bike mounts are subject to a fair bit of vibration on the 12S, I have tried it on top of the tail unit and on the pannier mounts but a little too blurry.
The size and shape of the stealth along with the rotatable lens makes it easy to get the right angle as well. No real noticeable difference in wind drag either due to the shape.
I think that they have been discontinued though so you will need to shop around. It is a built in battery though so you need to charge between rides. It lasts well though and you can get e lot of high quality footage in an outing. Just received my waterproof diving case for mine in the post yesterday as well so it can now go to 30m in the sea.
10 KTM RC8

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:51 pm

Boxered wrote:I have considered / am considering this setup,

http://www.nortek.co.uk/bike-bro-dual-c ... cycle-dvr/

it works like your car dash cam but with both front and rear cams. The one in the link is branded Nortek, but ebay searches show the same item available for a fraction of the cost from china.

Steve
Liking the look of that. I have a drift ghost it works well , I tried it out on my ducati, just with the suction cup affixed to the front cowel, it did vibrate a bit once the speed picked up, only really fit for short vids and not as a stand alone continuous record/overwrite device. Think some of the helmet mounted cams make one look a real Tool. My van dash cam has already nailed a young nobber who tried to evade the law and in the process dragged pc plod 30 yards down the road. Dash cams are also a record of your driving/ riding too. Not a bad thing to be mindful of.

chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Neil178

Postby Neil178 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:14 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I had another look at the bike today and drew a blank again.
I have seen the Sena 10C unit that looks okay. Still reading up on it, but is a combo Cam and Bluetooth speaker thingy. If it can link to my zumo then I think we have a winner!
It’s more discrete than the gropro so it helps keep the dork factor low.
Chris, was that bib okay? Did they use your cam as evidence? Sounds like a real omg moment.

Return to “Boxerbanter”