servicing the 1100s, oh wot fun

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

stevep

servicing the 1100s, oh wot fun

Postby stevep » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:32 pm

just carried out my first basic service on the 1100s, after a quote of £700 from BMW (still cant work out how they can justify that price) WHAT A PAIN IN THE ARSE lol and I can see why the air filter on my bike hadn't been changed in a very long time lol.....

kfrogzx7

Re: servicing the 1100s, oh wot fun

Postby kfrogzx7 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:51 pm

I can't really see what all the fuss is about actually, the valves couldn't be easier, likewise the alternator belt, the drive train /gears is okay and once you've done it a couple of times the tank comes of in about 20 mins ( fit some quick release fuel line connectors ) for everything "up top".
I'd rather service a boxer than I would a Jap multi any day, don't even go near an Italian.
Simon.
K100rs, R1100s, R1150rs, R1200st, K1300s

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:32 am

Never removed the Tank completely to change the air filter just used to loosen it and lift up the back end and hook it up wit a bungee to a garage roof beam. Didn't even totally un-plumb it to change the fuel filter inside the tank - Just had padding on the right hand cylinder head and tipped it over sideways - again held by bungees - so I could access the panel to change the filter. Valves what a doddle sitting on an upturned bucket to do the job :D Worst bit is making a funnel to drain the gearbox and bevel box - always made a mess on the floor :D .

I have to say the air filter on the ST and RT is easier as you only have to have one fairing side panel off not both.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

stevesilver

Postby stevesilver » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:50 am

stevep wrote:just carried out my first basic service on the 1100s, after a quote of £700 from BMW (still cant work out how they can justify that price) WHAT A PAIN IN THE ARSE lol and I can see why the air filter on my bike hadn't been changed in a very long time lol.....

Totally agree with you, this is one of the small reasons Im selling mine and going back to Jap.
Wait till you have to replace a throttle cable :lol:

Return to “Boxerbanter”