Selling Your Used Motorcycle

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

woofboxer

Selling Your Used Motorcycle

Postby woofboxer » Wed May 02, 2018 8:34 am

Chums - I'm little out of touch with all things motorcycle and wonder what the collective wisdom is as to the best channels for selling your bike?

Once the choice was between MCN, Autotrader and Exchange & Mart, but things have moved on somewhat and there are a thousand ways out there to 'reach out' to folk.

Any ideas?

Are any of the R1100(S) groups on Faecesbook worth a try?

(Feel free to exceed 140 characters)
Black R1100S
Honda F6C
Black Saab 900 Turbo

popsky

Re: Selling Your Used Motorcycle

Postby popsky » Wed May 02, 2018 9:18 am

We’ve just sold my wife bike via Autotrader, placed the advert online chose the top of the range advert £48 for 6 weeks iirc, had the usual stupid offers but waited till a genuine buyer came along, a little bartering but was very happy with the final price we got,a benefit using that route is as a private seller your email/phone number is protected but you do need to state your town as people from miles away won’t know where your based.
Good luck
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Wed May 02, 2018 11:41 am

I've sold a few bikes, and cars, on eBay, without any issues whatsoever, despite a lot of people seeming to have a downer on it. I've always used the 'classified ad' format, which gets you 28 days for, I think, £14.99, and which avoids a lot of numpties getting involved, as well as there being no further fees to pay. You can add a 'make offer' facility, but people will make you an offer wherever you advertise.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

sjrainsford

Postby sjrainsford » Wed May 02, 2018 12:14 pm

Both of the above have worked well for me over the years.

The problem with advertising on forums or facebook groups is that they're dedicated to that particular model, so often the members already have them. So you're narrowing yourself down to the people that join these places first before buying. Whilst it's good, I just think it narrows the available market.
2001 BMW R1100S (Merecat)
2008 Vespa GTS300 (Bianca)

Neil178

Postby Neil178 » Wed May 02, 2018 3:13 pm

Some say Gumtree but that may be for cheaper bikes. eBay Shirley?

woofboxer

Postby woofboxer » Thu May 03, 2018 10:06 am

sjrainsford wrote:Both of the above have worked well for me over the years.

The problem with advertising on forums or facebook groups is that they're dedicated to that particular model, so often the members already have them. So you're narrowing yourself down to the people that join these places first before buying. Whilst it's good, I just think it narrows the available market.

Well ... hopefully all academic now as someone put a deposit on the bike within 24 hours of me posting it up on here, there were 40+ views by then.

With single interest forums like this a small proportion of members are active posters and the rest are lurkers, but the membership as a whole is greatly outnumbered by 'guests' who browse the forum as they are interested in the subject matter, or as in this case looking for a bike of that type.

Props to Boxertrix and a donation will be forthcoming.
Black R1100S

Honda F6C

Black Saab 900 Turbo

Morse

Postby Morse » Sat May 05, 2018 4:52 pm

Sold my S1000XR last week via the XR forum, having had no enquiries at all from an MCN online & print ad.

Chris

Down to 1 bike: Multistrada 1260S

Ekimyrf

Postby Ekimyrf » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:21 am

Sold mine on UKGSer within half hour of the advert going up

Return to “Boxerbanter”