TT, are the riders gladiators or canon fodder?

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

boxerscott

TT, are the riders gladiators or canon fodder?

Postby boxerscott » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:14 pm

The TT generates a lot of welcome income for the Manx economy our friendly neighbourhood tax haven. So did the Jim Clark rally for the Scottish Borders until the tragic deaths of spectators. Scottish Borders Council and Police Scotland acted decisively and withdrew permits. The rally organisers held an inquiry headed by the same gentleman who has been appointed by the TT organisers to hold their own inquiry into the unbelievable incident which saw riders heading back to pits counter clockwise from the Dan Keen death red flagged in practise/qualifying. As some may know this cock up did not make front page MCN headlines but it did result in one Mr Mercer, racer competitor getting a head on with an official race car heading to scene of a dead competitor. Mr Mercer is critical in a Liverpool hospital suffering suspected brain trauma as well as other structural injuries. This is not a racing incident and is not something that goes with the territory. How did this happen?

I suspect the TT organisers thoughts uppermost in their minds are protecting the event and cash it generates.

The vehicle speeding out appears not to be an ambulance with blues and two`s wailing

Unbelivable. I trust and hope Mrs Mercer also has a good lawyer with enquiries of his own. Good luck to them.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

BoxerCup R

Re: TT, are the riders gladiators or canon fodder?

Postby BoxerCup R » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:52 am

Its a shocking error of judgement that should never have happened. Lets hope every stone is unturned to get to the truth. Riders riding the wrong way back to Douglas is not uncommon at the Island during practice and under a red flag but they would ordinarily have a traveling Marshal at the front of the said group and one at the rear, this did not happen, why not ? Ultimately, the clerk of the course is responsible.

Fingers crossed for Steve Mercer to make a full recovery, Dan Keen will not and that is another incident not explained as yet !
"02 Yamaha XJR 1300SP in Kenny Roberts Yellow - (bought new)
"18 BMW S1000R Sports - (bought new)

"11 Porsche Boxster 987 S Black Edition No.261 of 987

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:14 pm

BoxerCup R wrote:Its a shocking error of judgement that should never have happened. Lets hope every stone is unturned to get to the truth. Riders riding the wrong way back to Douglas is not uncommon at the Island during practice and under a red flag but they would ordinarily have a traveling Marshal at the front of the said group and one at the rear, this did not happen, why not ? Ultimately, the clerk of the course is responsible.

judging by the carefully worded statement published in this weeks MCN there appears to be an element of confusion. The statement that is widely used "Riding the wrong way" surely begs the question why not the right way!! Why were not the rules observed in the first instance?? if race director/clerk of the course has to appoint an enquiry to find out why this happened then he should stand down. if I was Mercer family I would be seeking answers and suitable compensation. It appears to me that this is a mickey mouse event when it comes to controlling a long circuit and safeguarding the events main commodity. The Racers. Woeful. IMHO. I would not sponsor this event in any shape or form after this latest tragedy and that is not a negative towards the competitors or fans. ACU are culpable. They deserve to be taken to task. I doubt the Manx government or police will act decisively.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

Crazy Kev

Postby Crazy Kev » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:28 pm

NINE! They are Motorcycle Racers!
Its Not a Phase, Its My Life,
Its Not a Hobby, It's. My Passion,
Its Not For Everyone, It Is For Me.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:39 am

Crazy Kev wrote:NINE! They are Motorcycle Racers!
Correct, they are as they perceive themselves to be. As we see them?
Fiat Panda.

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:51 am

125cc Yamaha AS 3.jpg
125cc Yamaha AS 3.jpg (71.69 KiB) Viewed 7917 times

I think it's a case of your perception.

Some of us wanted to race bikes from very early , in my case by 8 years old its all I ever wanted to do.

I was lucky , I raced bikes pretty much from 1975 up until 2015 when I just couldn't take the knocks any more .

I've had lots of heart breaks along the way , lost some amazing mates, had a few stays in hospital , over 40 broken bones , plus extra bits installed , carbon fibre ligaments , titanium screws etc .

I have had some successes and wins , the feeling of winning a race is awesome, nothing else like it in the world , to win a championship is top , to be fortunate enough to win a few is even greater feeling of achievement !

I've raced many street circuits , and hillclimbs , never raced IoM , although I've been privileged to follow some quick old guys around the circuit in the early hours .

I love racing , I cry for those who lose their lives , but I'd not stopped when friends died, we blessed them , and carried on .

It is after all what we all love.

Lots of guys come along , ride a few races and disappear.

Others come along ride a few races, crash , hurt themselves and disappear .

Then there are the committed few, we just go on and on .

No , we are not cannon fodder , we are committed bike racers , striving for a goal !

I would have loved to race the TT circuit, what an awesome challenge .
Attachments
Umhlanga out in front alone ..jpg
Umhlanga out in front alone ..jpg (74.62 KiB) Viewed 7917 times
Rand Air National 87   10th overall 75 entries.jpg
Rand Air National 87 10th overall 75 entries.jpg (168.3 KiB) Viewed 7917 times
Old man ... now .
Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

Al

Postby Al » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:49 pm

Think that sums it up nicely Gerry, it seems to me if it's in the blood, and with the thrill of competition, winning, challenge etc it's very hard to ever want to give it up, I have been in a position to speak to several riders over the years(sometimes after I had helped them and their bike off the track) and it's just all they want to do.
I am not a fan of the pure road circuits, and recently the tragic loss of life has been particularly high, but nobody forces the riders to race and as long as the utmost is done to minimise the risks it should continue. I would hate bike racing to go the same way as F1.
For me they are a modern form of gladiators, even if most are, IMHO ever so slightly mad!!

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:28 pm

My mate Bud Jackson died after a fall in practice on thursday .

He first raced at Manx back in 1989 .....

Been regular Manx and TT rider every year since , with a few wins over time .

RIP Bud , you are one of the hard core dedicated racers .

My picture of Bud and his wife just before start of 2013 Manx Classic TT
Attachments
Bud Jackson RIP 2018  2013.JPG
Bud Jackson RIP 2018 2013.JPG (582.58 KiB) Viewed 7889 times
Old man ... now .

Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

adam

Postby adam » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:26 pm

My mate Paul Owen has been hit so hard by the loss of so many good friends on road circuits recently, that after this years Manx, he has decided to retire. I think the loss of Bud, who was a great character in the paddock, was the final straw. After a visit to Dobbsy's grave, Paul said 'It's time to stop racing, before it stops you'. He has my complete respect for this decision, it takes a brave man to walk away. On a happier note, Bruce Anstey was on good form at Jurby, managed to eat his own weight in McDonalds that night, and put in a stunning demo lap on the Padgetts bike earlier in the week. I sincerely hope he conquers his illness and we'll see him back on The Roads soon 8)

Return to “Boxerbanter”