Ilmberger hugger flew off :(

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

kfrogzx7

Ilmberger hugger flew off :(

Postby kfrogzx7 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:02 pm

My Ilmberger 11s cf hugger broke just above the caliper and self destructed as it was spewed out at about 40 mph today.
That'll be a couple of hundred quid to replace :(
At least it didn't damage the tyre or anything as it exited scene left.
Has it ever happened to anyone else, I'm sure it did it unaided by any foreign object on the road because I didn't see anything in front of me and couldn't find anything afterwards either, just metal fatigue I reckon ?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QGU8Dp23z2CKpYj26

https://photos.app.goo.gl/h5BVNUCH2zm8DXau7
Simon.
K100rs, R1100s, R1150rs, R1200st, K1300s

sjrainsford

Re: Ilmberger hugger flew off :(

Postby sjrainsford » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:54 pm

Mine has one and I can’t say as I’m impressed with the quality. It’s a lot of money for a crappy bit of carbon fibre.
2001 BMW R1100S (Merecat)
2008 Vespa GTS300 (Bianca)

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:00 am

Got one on my 12s and my GS - for the price I'm not impressed. There's a ;little rubber bung on the GS which rubs against the shaft tunnel and rubs the paint away. Also got head covers on my 12sand they're not the best fit - not for over £350 new anyway
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Mitch1100

Postby Mitch1100 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:42 pm

Be interested to see what Ilmberger have to say. Their quality impresses me.
2009 HP2 Sport...sold
2006 R1200s with yellow rim tape
2008 Ducati Monster S4RS Tricolore..sold
2004 R1100s BoxerCup Replika..sold
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318/600

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:20 pm

Finish is fantastic but the new parts I have bought have all needed a little fettling
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Yam SR 500 long term restoration

wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:59 pm

At the end of the day it is only a crud catcher. GRP any day for me. Cost effective. The weight saving element of cf is totally irrelevant on a boxer tractor. if you can afford CF mudguards you are earning/making your money too easily, if you are prepared to buy another .... :?

:wink:

chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

MR SHEEN

Postby MR SHEEN » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:15 pm

Put both parts in a box with a cover note and send direct back Ilmberger in Germany.
A CLEAN MACHINE IS A HAPPY MACHINE

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:51 pm

kfrogzx7 wrote:Has it ever happened to anyone else, I'm sure it did it unaided by any foreign object on the road because I didn't see anything in front of me and couldn't find anything afterwards either, just metal fatigue I reckon ?

I must have had mine on the bike for 14 odd years now and 100k miles, admittedly rather shabby looking but still in one piece... I seem to remember the original importer ( sandbar ) used to post on here and there was talk of breakages in the States but that none of them were ever returned back to the manufacturer. Was the original small plastic guard removed from the shock before fitting the hugger ? I know that can damage the hugger , not sure if it would fracture the bracket though .

boxerscott wrote:At the end of the day it is only a crud catcher. GRP any day for me. Cost effective. The weight saving element of cf is totally irrelevant on a boxer tractor. if you can afford CF mudguards you are earning/making your money too easily, if you are prepared to buy another .... :?

chris

Are there any alternatives though ? back in the day there was nothing else available ( well nothing that i'd have fitted and i'm not that fussy)

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:31 am

nab 301 wrote:
kfrogzx7 wrote:Has it ever happened to anyone else, I'm sure it did it unaided by any foreign object on the road because I didn't see anything in front of me and couldn't find anything afterwards either, just metal fatigue I reckon ?

I must have had mine on the bike for 14 odd years now and 100k miles, admittedly rather shabby looking but still in one piece... I seem to remember the original importer ( sandbar ) used to post on here and there was talk of breakages in the States but that none of them were ever returned back to the manufacturer. Was the original small plastic guard removed from the shock before fitting the hugger ? I know that can damage the hugger , not sure if it would fracture the bracket though .

boxerscott wrote:At the end of the day it is only a crud catcher. GRP any day for me. Cost effective. The weight saving element of cf is totally irrelevant on a boxer tractor. if you can afford CF mudguards you are earning/making your money too easily, if you are prepared to buy another .... :?

chris

Are there any alternatives though ? back in the day there was nothing else available ( well nothing that i'd have fitted and i'm not that fussy)
Aye, on EBAY Pyramid do a gloss black one £121.00. Still pricey but less expensive than a cf one.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

mh374

Postby mh374 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:09 am

My Pyramid hugger failed spectacularly on my 1100S and jammed itself in the back wheel. Luckily at low speed, so the ensuing locked rear wheel was dealt with without issue. It hangs in my garage and I wouldn't ever think of replacing it. Bloody dangerous.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:58 pm

mh374 wrote:My Pyramid hugger failed spectacularly on my 1100S and jammed itself in the back wheel. Luckily at low speed, so the ensuing locked rear wheel was dealt with without issue. It hangs in my garage and I wouldn't ever think of replacing it. Bloody dangerous.
Obviously of sentimental value to you then. Win Win.
Fiat Panda.

mh374

Postby mh374 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:16 pm

Nope, my original plan was to repair it and left it in the garage. Decided not to put it back or repair / replace it. That reminds me I need to get some original caliper bolts and replace the Pyramid bolts, oh and take the hugger to the tip!

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:07 pm

mh374 wrote:Nope, my original plan was to repair it and left it in the garage. Decided not to put it back or repair / replace it. That reminds me I need to get some original caliper bolts and replace the Pyramid bolts, oh and take the hugger to the tip!
loose fixings caused the fail? My cf Pyramid bcr hugger fixings worked loose. I then used some blue Loctite thread seal. In fact I thought it good policy to thread seal all fixings on the BCR cos it vibrated like a bitch :wink:
Fiat Panda.

wicker

Postby wicker » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:35 pm

Agree. Thread lock on the hugger fasteners is a must otherwise it vibes the bolts loose in 1k.

My Ilumberger hugger was originally supplied with two fancy aluminium recessed washers to bolt onto. However these sheared through and failed after a time and were replaced with a couple of big stainless steel washers and slightly shorter bolts. No more problems so long as I use threadlock too.

victorlaszlo

Postby victorlaszlo » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:49 pm

dave the german wrote:Got one on my 12s and my GS - for the price I'm not impressed. There's a ;little rubber bung on the GS which rubs against the shaft tunnel and rubs the paint away. Also got head covers on my 12sand they're not the best fit - not for over £350 new anyway

Which one you got for the 12S? My Ilmberger didn't fit with the Dunlop tyre I got fitted :(

Return to “Boxerbanter”