Tips on How to ride a R1100S

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

g888

Tips on How to ride a R1100S

Postby g888 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:11 am

Hi - I am new to this forum and am looking for some help on riding my newly aquired 2004 R1100S race prep (no abs) bike. After riding a BMW F800ST for the last 2 years I was used to smooth and predictable handling. The shaft driven R1100S gives me eerie sensations - pulls to the left whenever I accelerate and more importantly feels as though its sliding from under me on curves when I get off the throttle! Yesterday I was taking a sweeing right turn at about 50 mph and it was a white knuckle experience. Is this common for this bike or is there something wrong with the shaft drive? Any tips on what to expect, watch for or how to ride it so this dosen't occur again?
All suggestions, help welcome!

GerryB

Re: Tips on How to ride a R1100S

Postby GerryB » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:28 pm

There are a million variables here .

The bike set up first and foremost.

Your riding style .

I have had a few years riding my R1100S's and I have found them totally stable and predictable .

However, I did race various bikes for the last 40 years so maybe my perception and yours are different .

Set the tyre pressures correct first , the put all suspension setting in the middle .

After that , go out and ride a 1000 km on the bike .

Long trips , and see how you get on .

I'm averaging 12000 km a year on my 2 bikes . Well 2 until yesterday when one went to a new home .

I love the bikes , so steady and confidence inspiring when ridden enthusiastically , like no chicken strips .

I am not a hooligan , I'm mid 60s , and ride purely for fun.
Old man ... now .
Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

g888

Postby g888 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:27 pm

I just bought the bike and had a full revision/tune-up done at my local BMW dealer. The tires are Michelin Pilots and fairly new. I am trying to gain confidence by riding regularly. My main concern is - on cornering is it customary for this bike to feel the way it does? The F800 belt driven bike I rode the last 2 years was rock solid when cornering....I never felt the rear slide from under me like I do with the R1S!

SP250

Postby SP250 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:01 pm

I have both the 11S and and 800ST and can honestly say that the 11S should be more stable and confidence inspiring than the 800ST.
Agree with Gerry on checking tyre pressures and setting suspension.
Suggest you also check rear wheel bearings and shaft drive / swing arm pivots as it sounds like there is something loose/worn.

What you will find though is the telelever front end doesn't give the feel that a conventional fork does, so you may be over compensating as you don't "know" what the front is doing. Just do as Gerry says and ride it a lot and trust the front because it really will stay stable and planted far longer than most of us can use on the road (unless your name is Rossi or Marquez). Its just a different feel you have to get used to.
Oh, and if it has a knackered steering damper on it - take it off, because that can fool you into thinking the handling is "off". They don't need one.
John M

g888

Postby g888 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:41 pm

Ok I will check with the mechanic. Thanks for the advice!

kfrogzx7

Postby kfrogzx7 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:27 pm

They don't really like being "off the throttle" thru' curves, they're ultra stable and prefer to be driven thru corners. Get on the throttle earlier than you'd expect, more like a Ducati in this respect, you can carry a lot of speed.
Hold a higher gear than you might feel you need ( while you build confidence ) and the bike will look after you, again like a Ducati, the big twin engine power pulses will mean you never want for rear end traction.
Telelever will take a while to gain your confidence but is in my opinion it's the jewel in the S's crown, and if you do gel, you'll eventually love it.
Once you gain confidence in it's stability you'll be able to brake deeper into turns than any conventionally forked bike ever could ( again with the Marc Marques proviso !! ).
Good luck, they are an acquired taste but once acquired they're pretty addictive and extremely surprisingly capable.
Simon.
K100rs, R1100s, R1150rs, R1200st, K1300s

g888

Postby g888 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:32 pm

Thanks and I will try what you say.

Hay Ewe^

Postby Hay Ewe^ » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:04 pm

You do mention the drive shaft.
Find out if the final drive or paralever have been removed recently, most likely for the Final Drive pivot bearing replacement.
The drive shaft is re-assembled out of phase, it can have the effect you are describing.
YEARS ago, I did the Final Drive pivot bearings on my 1150GS and i didnt know about drive shaft phasing.
This caused the bike to fall in to the right hand corners and require more effort to turn in to left hand corners.

I didnt know what was up. I knew something as I had changed something.
Somebody else rode my bike about 500 meters and said nope, not ridng that - its dangerous.

got home (i did ride it home quite ok) sorted out the drive shaft its is been excellent since.

I really think you need to check that out

g888

Postby g888 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:53 pm

That's an interesting point. I have already called the mechanic and am taking it by tomm. I will bring this up with him. Thanks for suggesting it.

exoticices

Postby exoticices » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:08 pm

I found the R1100S to be very stable and surprising agile. Michelins suit the bike. I don't think you should need to give the 'funny front end' any extra thought compared to forks (unless you've a fast trackdayer) - it just works. So there must be a problem somewhere.
As others have said:
Check age of tyres and pressures.
Steering and shaft bearings.
Steering damper (not needed!).
Shock condition & settings (front & rear).
Wheel alignment front/rear.
It should be a simple thing to fix and get it riding nicely, it's just a process of elimination!

g888

Postby g888 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:53 pm

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:10 pm

I think they are all politely suggesting that you ride the fcuker like you stole it. :wink:

My advice would be to do a couple of track days on it. A BMW dealership would have pointed out anything glaringly wrong with set up. surely? We need to build confidence here I am thinking, they are a big fat mother and steer like a cow at low speed but once in third gear out on open roads it all begins to make sense. 35k on one. Nothing wrong with the front end telelever at all, great suspension system.

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

g888

Postby g888 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:41 pm

Thanks Chris. For peace of mind I'm going to visit the mechanic. Then if all's well I'll just practice..

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:17 pm

Now then g888

Something must be wrong reading your description of how it feels cause as everyone has said, they are ultra stable, especially in corners. I've found it almost perfect in the entry. mid corner and exit, on or off the throttle. You do right to get it checked out, for you safety rather than be a hero. Let us know what your mechanic finds if anything. Good luck :wink:
"02 Yamaha XJR 1300SP in Kenny Roberts Yellow - (bought new)
"18 BMW S1000R Sports - (bought new)

"11 Porsche Boxster 987 S Black Edition No.261 of 987

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:07 pm

g888 wrote:The shaft driven R1100S gives me eerie sensations - pulls to the left whenever I accelerate !

I can honestly say In the over 10 yrs I've owned my 11S I have never experienced this , even with slightly worn paralever or swingarm bearings. Like any large torquey twin if I wind open the throttle mid corner on a wet road it may spin up the tyre and step out slightly but it has never scared me .
Hopefully you'll get sorted soon!

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Return to “Boxerbanter”