R1200S values?

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

dave the german

Re: R1200S values?

Postby dave the german » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:31 pm

ianc53 wrote:I have a R1200RS, so Chris's bike with 'aero' and I agree with him on every point except the telescopic forks :) . Mine has electronic damping control etc. but it is still not a patch on the Telelever on my 1100S or 3 1200GS's.
Overall the 1200RS is a better bike than the 1100S - it would be an even better one with a Telelever front end!

Cheers

Ian

I took a 12RS for a test ride before I bought my GS and loved it until I used the brakes .Id always wanted a GS and was thinking that now I was in a position to buy one and was going to end up with an RS until I used the brakes on the RS - I really didn't like the fork dive at all
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

ianc53

Postby ianc53 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:53 pm

I took a 12RS for a test ride before I bought my GS and loved it until I used the brakes .Id always wanted a GS and was thinking that now I was in a position to buy one and was going to end up with an RS until I used the brakes on the RS - I really didn't like the fork dive at all

Couldn't agree more Dave, except I did buy one, but would think about another GS or probably an RT next time to get the Telelever.
Motorrad R1250RS SE 2023
Blue R100RS 1980
Suzuki GT250B 1977

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:18 pm

victorlaszlo wrote:
boxerscott wrote:Good points, it is arguable, but try it first and then tell me what you think. I have ridden the 1200s it is an improvement on the 1100s.

I am sure you will be surprised. It is a far better road bike than the 1200s. There is no way a 1200s can accelerate out of a corner quicker than a lc 1200r with quick shifter and no way it could brake and shift down for a corner, no way it could be more stable in a corner. If the tele lever is that good why is it not fitted to the s1000rr

Test ride one.

BTW I am totally biased :)

:wink:

I'd be happy to find out at a track day, I'm pretty sure it could do all these points.

Regarding the telelever I believe the reason that was sacrificed was only to appeal a different target than BMW purists when launching the s1000 series which would probably have been impossible with the R1 and Gixxer people should they have kept the unfamiliar frontend.
Don't know about that, so answering my own question why it got ditched, am thinking the telelever had to go to make way for water cooling, the radiator and a more svelte like appearance. The new naked R1200r suits traditional upside down forks looks loads better than the old but good 1200r. I am not going to get off topic talking about the GS. no matter how you try.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

popsky

Postby popsky » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:17 am

Getting back to my ORIGINAL topic (which by the way was the prices being asked for the 12s), there are 9 on ebay as of today, with the lowest price being £5500 for a 24k 06 plate. The top price is £7295 13k on 07 which seems a hell of a lot for a 11 year old bike that was never a great seller when launched, but as I’d already said asking and getting are usually two different things.

We all know it’s not a sports bike and it can’t compete with anything modern from a 600 super sport up. What it is though is a very good real world road bike in an original BMW oddly packaged “sports tourer” persona.
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

David_S_Walker

Postby David_S_Walker » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:23 am

All,

Give it time.... It will only take Tom Cruise to use one in his next Mission Improbable for values to rocket.

I bought a Laverda Jota new back in 1980 for the princely sum of around £1,500. Fast forward to 2012 when I sold it for £12,500 so if it's rare and quirky then who knows!

I'll hang on to mine for a while....

Best regards,

David
The Hokey Cokey. What if that is what life is all about?
BMW R1200S-2006 with much carbon,PCIII & Schnitzer,
Subaru Outback 3.0 R N 2006 and an Abarth 595 MTA 180 Competizione Convertible

popsky

Postby popsky » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:29 am

More desirable by the quarter :mrgreen:
Attachments
C7789FB4-0D5E-4918-8DC0-53F393D62D75.png
C7789FB4-0D5E-4918-8DC0-53F393D62D75.png (242.06 KiB) Viewed 7111 times
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:46 pm

David_S_Walker wrote:All,

Give it time.... It will only take Tom Cruise to use one in his next Mission Improbable for values to rocket.

I bought a Laverda Jota new back in 1980 for the princely sum of around £1,500. Fast forward to 2012 when I sold it for £12,500 so if it's rare and quirky then who knows!

I'll hang on to mine for a while....

Best regards,

David
Do not know about the Tom Cruise bit but I agree, Rarity =collectable = higher value. Hang on to it if you see it as an investment.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:56 am

popsky wrote:Getting back to my ORIGINAL topic (which by the way was the prices being asked for the 12s), there are 9 on ebay as of today, with the lowest price being £5500 for a 24k 06 plate. The top price is £7295 13k on 07 which seems a hell of a lot for a 11 year old bike that was never a great seller when launched, but as I’d already said asking and getting are usually two different things.

We all know it’s not a sports bike and it can’t compete with anything modern from a 600 super sport up. What it is though is a very good real world road bike in an original BMW oddly packaged “sports tourer” persona.

I paid £5.2k for mine from a triumph dealer in 2011, with sports upgrade and 19k miles on the clock. It now has nudging 40k miles. You don't see many (or any, even) of that mileage for sale, so dunno what it would go for now. Folks who see it always comment on what a nice/lovely/cool, well cared for bike it is, but they're not buying it and therefore not seeing the rougher cosmetic bits - i.e. paint flaking off the engine. Anything over £4.5k feels a bit high to me, even for a low miler, and I'd put £3.5 on mine if I was selling it - which I'm not - yet. Maybe I'm under valuing it???

I traded in my 11-year old Aprilia Falco for the R12S. It too was a nice looking, and unusual bike. The dealer gave me £1400 for it, which I thought was fair at the time. He said at the time that he would pass it on to the trade because it was too old for his showroom. However, when I picked up the R12S, he said he'd changed his mind and would sell it from his showroom - he was short of bikes to sell. I was amazed (and a bit "like, no way!") to see it appear on their website with a £3.5k price tag - and it sold within a couple of days.

So, I guess if the right buyer comes along, and falls for something shiny and unusual, they will stump up more than you'd think.

popsky

Postby popsky » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:40 am

Scottie58 sold his 12s here 50+ k miles but immaculate as he had painted it etc etc, he was asking £4500 iirc, dealers are looking to get £2000 profit after warranty and any workshop time so your Falco is spot on for a trade in, Mrs P is looking at new machines, she has a very nice F800r 26k miles 8 years old, with plenty of aftermarket bits to make it a very nice buy, the dealer tradein price £2000 so she’s gonna keep it, worth way more than that to her. If I was to sell mine I’d be looking in excess of £5500 with the 2nd set of body work, pipe etc which I believe to be a fair price, but like you I’m not selling (just yet) I’d have to find a bit more garage space so the 12 can appreciate in value a bit more as available numbers decrease :mrgreen:

On a side not we recently pxed our car, Mitsubishi Outlander, over the phone to the dealer I’d described it as tatty, better to have the dealer say it’s better and increase his offer, so we pxed it and got £3500, I was happy, I later saw it on Autotrader described as superb condition and priced at £7500 and it’s been sold, you can never tell what someone is prepared to pay lmfao, it was tatty by the way
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

feralworks

Postby feralworks » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:11 am

As I was looking to buy another R12S, this was an interesting thread.
What I discovered was, currently, £5500 would buy you a slightly cosmetically tired bike or high miler. £6500 would buy you a nice one / low miler with some nice bits fitted. Not a lot of difference in price for what you get! There is a 13k black bike at Bath Road Motorcycles that I've seen, very tidy but a pretty standard sport / ABS model. They want £7300 though... :shock:
My old 2007 R12S is also up for sale again at a dealer (standard Colgate / wide rim / WP shock / Remus full system). I bought it for £4k, Sold it for almost £5k about 18 months ago, & it's now up for £6K!
I figured that if I bought a standard one I'd end up forking out for better suspension & an exhaust system anyway so went for a low mileage (5K) Sport model minter with a full Akro pipe (the BMW option) & damn the cost :lol: Shame I sold my high bar conversion though....
R100CS / 1070 kit
Krauser MKM & 4v heads
R1200S
Thunderbird Sport
Dresda Honda 590/4
R NineT

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A CABLE TIE - IT REALLY IS BROKEN !!

Return to “Boxerbanter”