New Job, New City, New Life

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

SP250

Re: New Job, New City, New Life

Postby SP250 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:37 am

And if anyone knows how to "hoon around" its JT - christened Billy Whizz at the last Welsh Boxertrix weekend.

Good luck JT hope it all works out for the best.
John M

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:40 am

Morning

Last day at my present job this Thursday 28th Feb, goodbye drinks on Saturday and then moving up to Edinburgh to our new house Mon 4th March.

Directors bought me a Rolex watch as a leaving gift which I am very happy with, a lovely thought.

Had a chat with the bike shop but decided the job wasn't just right for me and have gone with a Conservatory/Orangery firm w/c 11th March.
"02 Yamaha XJR 1300SP in Kenny Roberts Yellow - (bought new)
"18 BMW S1000R Sports - (bought new)

"11 Porsche Boxster 987 S Black Edition No.261 of 987

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:10 am

Good luck, hope it works out for you and that you made the right choice.
10 KTM RC8

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:29 am

Not a bad departure gift, at all :)

I think you may have made the right decision - most who start instructing, cease to enjoy recreational biking.

Good luck with the new venture - whereabouts in Auld Reekie are you moving to?

Al :thumbup:
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:06 pm

Blackal wrote:Not a bad departure gift, at all :)

I think you may have made the right decision - most who start instructing, cease to enjoy recreational biking.

Good luck with the new venture - whereabouts in Auld Reekie are you moving to?

Al :thumbup:

Cheers Al,- moving to Liberton Mate.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:48 am

Good luck to the fastest lad in Beanotown!

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/bri ... 1018091355

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:44 pm

We're moved into our new house now and both have a great feeling in it :D

Looking forward to getting out and about on a bike to discover the local routes (out of town :lol: ) :wink:

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:50 am

Lots of good roads to the south, and south-west, as soon as you are clear of Edinburgh, and the same North and North-west once you get on the other side of the Forth.

Watch out for increased polis presence around the Borders - they must be taking measures after last year’s fatalities.

Al :)
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:08 pm

I've had a couple of trips into the borders, one with Carloyn and another with a couple of bikers I've met through work. Great roads as I knew they would be and if you choose right theres no bugger about :bounce: part from a few sheep :lol:

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Fri May 03, 2019 11:05 am

Blackal wrote:Lots of good roads to the south, and south-west, as soon as you are clear of Edinburgh, and the same North and North-west once you get on the other side of the Forth.

Watch out for increased polis presence around the Borders - they must be taking measures after last year’s fatalities.

Al :)

The Border roads are rubbish, pot holed, loads of chavs about, camper vans. Thieves. Farmers farming, secret safety cameras in robotic sheep. Stay away.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Sun May 05, 2019 8:33 am

boxerscott wrote:The Border roads are rubbish, pot holed, loads of chavs about, camper vans. Thieves. Farmers farming, secret safety cameras in robotic sheep. Stay away.

:lol: :thumbleft:

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:10 am

Update 16.2.20

Hi, Thought I'd do an update for those interested.

Carolyn and I are very, very happy in our new home and enjoying Edinburgh and living together #neverindoubt :D

The new job has been very challenging, travelling every day after being desk bound for 18 years and the traffic on the bypass around Edinburgh even at 6:20 when I leave is incredible :shock: , New company processes, paperwork galore, H&S coming out of my ears, an immediate boss who wasn't helpful or encouraging, long serving professional teams of builders and joiners electricians,plumbers and Ames Tapers/painters not taking to an Englishman with no joinery past coming and managing them and trying to understand some of the strong accents have all played their part. I was doing 12 - 14 hours days out of the house and then 1-2 hours iPad & paperwork when I got home. All this was taking its toll on me and Carolyn too and not what I moved to Scotland to do. I spoke to my immediate boss and told him my concerns and that he wasn't giving me any support or encouragement, he acknowledged that but that was about it. So around Sept/Oct 2019 last year I had several chats with Carolyn and it was either call it a day and admit I wasn't up to the job, that it was a mistake, admit that and move on before my mental health became and issue or knuckle down, grit my teeth and 'get stuck in' and make it work. I decided on the latter and since we have returned to work in January its a different job. I am settled into my role now, I am managing my time better, my boss is a different man with a much better attitude and the lads, builders and joiners are now accepting me realising I'm not going away and actually listening to me and teams out of my area are now ringing me for advice and for material/skip/tool orders rather than their manager because they know whatever they ask me will be actioned and followed up and not forgotten and that actually this Englishman is a good guy and friendly too. They are also realising that the enforcement of H&S on site is for their benefit and no-one elses. All in all I now love my job. Things are easier, processes I have now learnt, the paperwork can be done quickly and relatively easily, time on site visits have come down and we are starting to have some banter, although I still have to ask some of the strong fife and glasgow lads 'What did you just say' :lol:

So in summary, I am enjoying my new life very much and now I know I will have more leisure time because I don't need to work any weekends and I won't be working till 'dark o'clock each night of the week, I am so looking forward to getting out and about a lot more on the bikes this year. Thanks for reading :thumbleft:

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:25 pm

Glad to hear things are working out for you now and a little disappointed to hear of the difficulties that you had experienced at first. Not the image I like to see projected for my industry. I would have expected the North South divide a little as I am the only Englishman in a Glaswegian family and get a bit of that all the time but glad that they realised that its about what you do and say and not the accent you say it in.
Hope you both continue to enjoy the new found well deserved leisure time in a beautiful part of the country
10 KTM RC8

Neil178

Postby Neil178 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:25 pm

Good to hear that it’s all working out after what sounds like an exhausting time.
I think once you can speak Jockanese it becomes easier. Like a ‘piece and jam’ even having the ‘outsider’ and of course having the famous square sausage with your breakfast. Don’t forget to have your pizza deep fried in the chippy, greet everyone with ‘fit like loon?’ and the jobs a good ‘un.
I worked for Betty in Scotland for 3 years yonks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Except when a sodding deer decided to jump out in front of me whilst riding a friends Honda 175. I’m convinced it was lying in wait for some teuchter and thought I was him.
I hope you do manage to enjoy the amazing roads up there on your bike but watch out for the wildlife!

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:19 am

Humbug> Thank you :D

Nei178> Thanks for the 'lingo' tips :lol:

Return to “Boxerbanter”