I bought a bike from an auction!

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Mister C

I bought a bike from an auction!

Postby Mister C » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:33 pm

Obviously this is my findings yours may be different but I thought it was worth sharing...

A bike recently caught my eye on eBay. It was being sold through PAP Auction Group. As the name implies its an auction company. I was a little bit dubious even after 30+ years of buying motorcycles from main dealers, joe public and of course eBay, I had never used this company before. Thinking nothing to loose, give them a bell. I did and was very pleased I did. A young lady by the name of Jessica was able to answer, very professionally, any questions I had about the bike and buying process. She went into great detail of any marks on the bike as it was 12 years old, she did mention one or two. I explained I was not able to go and see the bike. So, she immediately arranged for some hi def pictures and a video, of the bike running for me to look and listen to. These arrived within 15 mins and I was able to make the decision that I was interested. I phoned Jessica and asked about delivery which I got for a very good price and time scale of 4 days. So, at a grand total of £400 including auction fee, less than dealer price we agreed on the sale. A deposit of £99 given with balance to be paid to the driver. Jessica could not have been more helpful or professional in her manner. A credit to the company. The bike is great, so what did I get a BMW F800S, less than 13000 miles, 12 months MOT, and a full BMW service history, very very pleased.

As a comparison on eBay just before I saw mine. A damaged repairable with over twice the mileage. Went for £80 less than I paid with at least £400 needed spending on.

This means I do not have a boxer :( so I hope you dont mind me dropping by every now and then. Regards and best wishes to all. I have enjoyed reading lots on this forum. Certainly one of the best this old fart :D has been on and there has been a few.
:oops: Er, still thinking :(

Blackal

Re: I bought a bike from an auction!

Postby Blackal » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:39 pm

Photos, or it never happened! :lol:

Sounds good [smilie=biker.gif]
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

popsky

Postby popsky » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:12 pm

Sounds an excellent purchase but as Al says we need those piccies :mrgreen:
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:59 pm

I think John (sp 250) has one of those laggy band driven things. :wink: I think he did slightly better than yourself with purchase price .. from a BMW dealer as well. They go well too!

Gotta say well done you, sounds great value for money. Pictures are required however.

Chris.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

SP250

Postby SP250 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:26 pm

You're right Chris, the ST was £300, but I had to spend just over £400 to get it fixed.
But it does go well doesn't it?
Actually it now gives me a problem, because I like riding it more than my R11S now that I have fitted higher bars.
Mainly a weight thing though - as I advance into the fringes of old age.
John M

Mister C

Postby Mister C » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:43 pm

As requested, here she is....

Hope you like :)

popsky

Postby popsky » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:57 pm

Very nice, as a long time F8 owner (well the wife is) I’m sure you’ll have plenty of fun, and at that money what’s not to like :)
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

SP250

Postby SP250 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:53 pm

Phil

Just as a matter of interest, have you (or Karen) made any mods to the suspension at either end of the F800R to improve it?
I reckon that mine is ok dribbling about, but it is way underdamped and bouncy when I start pushing it along.

Cheers John
John M

popsky

Postby popsky » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:55 pm

SP250 wrote:Phil

Just as a matter of interest, have you (or Karen) made any mods to the suspension at either end of the F800R to improve it?
I reckon that mine is ok dribbling about, but it is way underdamped and bouncy when I start pushing it along.

Cheers John

Big standard John, not even adjusted the limited range it has, Karen just gets on and rides it lol
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:05 pm

SP250 wrote:You're right Chris, the ST was £300, but I had to spend just over £400 to get it fixed.
But it does go well doesn't it?
Actually it now gives me a problem, because I like riding it more than my R11S now that I have fitted higher bars.
Ah yes the ST comes with a "scene tax" to pay for wily old "racing snakes" :wink:

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:53 am

John, mate of mine has an 800s - he replaced the rear shock (his was worn out) and he reckons the bike rides as good as new (he'd test rode a new 800 before changing the shock) I can get details if you want. The only thing I do know was he had a remote pre load fitted as it would have been virtually impossible to adjust otherwise
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

SP250

Postby SP250 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:51 pm

Dave
Yes please to the shock details. Thanks.

Chris
Been called many things over the years, but wily old racing snake is a new one.
John M

Mister C

Postby Mister C » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:33 pm

SP250 wrote:Actually it now gives me a problem, because I like riding it more than my R11S now that I have fitted higher bars.

Indeed, my thoughts exactly. I loved my R1100s but they are a big lump and now I'm a rather feeble 60 odd year old, :oops:
I kinda think I did the right thing for me.

Regards Marsh

Return to “Boxerbanter”