Lower Drink-driving limit.... No noticeable effect.

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Blackal

Lower Drink-driving limit.... No noticeable effect.

Postby Blackal » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:46 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-46541752

“Road traffic accident rates in Scotland have increased since new, tougher drink-drive limits were introduced in 2014, a study has shown.
Researchers from Glasgow University said early public awareness campaigns had not been maintained.
Writing in The Lancet, they said road accident rates in Scotland were now higher than those in England and Wales.
The Scottish government said most levers to tackle drink-driving were retained by Westminster.
Holyrood was able to introduce lower limits on blood-alcohol content (BAC) for drivers in December 2014 after those powers were devolved.
The limit became 22 micrograms of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath.
Previously it was 35, a limit still in force in England and Wales.”

What a surprise!!! :roll:

Campaigned for, by people who had suffered personal losses at the hands of drivers who were typically 4-6 times over the existing limit.

The problem was never with those who had one drink - the problem was always with those who had over 4 drinks.............. and those people have not changed their habits just because there is a lower limit in place.

Leaving the EU - will probably be the only thing that prevents England and Wales following suit, though..............

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

boxerscott

Re: Lower Drink-driving limit.... No noticeable effect.

Postby boxerscott » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:31 pm

Aye , no surprise, lets talk tough and target more punters, but the hardcore pro`s do not care.

New laws in the Borders are to be passed on drinking in public places, we are talking tough again, (adequate laws already exist but are not enforced) strictly no alcohol drinking in public places ..."Except for Common Ridings". So the laws are not enforced because of the absolute disregard to them at common ridings, now we legalise drinking in public places .. for common ridings but no one else can do it outside of common ridings. Talking tough and acting soft. I do not condone drinking and driving but the law as it stands does not stop the Alkey`s motive to drive whilst out of their skull.

We need a more cost effective penal system, like twas in old days , gallows, stocks and lots of pain.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Wassy

Postby Wassy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:25 pm

That’s what happens when you create a reactivate police force by reducing numbers to crisis point. I know quite a few cops and they have little or no time for proactive policing, they want to go out and get the baddies but as soon as they clear down from a job and show available they are sent to the next domestic / shoplifter/ missing from home report. The traffic department ( including ARV ‘s ) are expected to deal with whatever is next in the job queue. A pal of mine went to a domestic whilst crewed on the ARV and a report of historical sexual abuse was made to him. Force policy is to body cam every domestic incident so everything is done correctly and he had to carry out an initial investigation which took the crew off the road for the rest of the shift.
I can’t remember the last time I saw a traffic car being proactive.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:15 am

Oh man! it`s enough to turn you to drink! :wink:
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Return to “Boxerbanter”