Bike Cam Conviction

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Blackal

Bike Cam Conviction

Postby Blackal » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:57 am

Maybe a bike-cam isn't such a good idea :shock:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...tland-46864047

"Video evidence from a fatal crash victim's helmet camera helped to convict a friend of dangerous driving.

Hugh Hannah, 34, of Dumfries, died in a collision with a car on the A701 road near Moffat in May last year.

Police investigating the accident viewed the footage and noticed fellow motorcyclist Murray Crossan, 30, of Dumfries, was breaking the speed limit.

At Selkirk Sheriff Court, he admitted dangerous driving and was banned for a year and fined £450.

The footage showed Crossan - the lead motorcyclist in a group of friends - travelling at an average speed of 68mph on a road which has a 60mph limit.

For the final half mile before the accident he reached a speed of 98mph.

His lawyer said: "This is a case of a prosecution from beyond the grave.

"The man who lost his life was wearing a camera on his helmet and he kept glancing at his speedometer and Mr Crossan was the lead motorcyclist.

"If it had not been for the fatal accident the case would never have come before the court."

The court heard that Crossan had not been on his motorcycle since the accident apart from taking his friend's fiancée to the accident scene to lay flowers."
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

ted

Re: Bike Cam Conviction

Postby ted » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:25 pm

nice touch by the Police to prosecute the guy after the death of his friend - i cant imagine it served any purpose other than to try and convince us all that all crimes will be pursued irrespective of any surrounding circumstances .

shame other crimes aren't treated with the same endeavour

boxerscott

Re: Bike Cam Conviction

Postby boxerscott » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:26 pm

ted wrote:nice touch by the Police to prosecute the guy after the death of his friend - i cant imagine it served any purpose other than to try and convince us all that all crimes will be pursued irrespective of any surrounding circumstances .

shame other crimes aren't treated with the same endeavour
I am sure if clear evidence presented itself in other crimes there would be lots more successful prosecutions. It is a fact if you are a legal motorist of any description you are a soft target. Police Scotland and the highways authorities have had to deal with a percentage hike of mcycle fatalities last year .. just in the Borders. Causes massive disruption with road closures

i like my dashcam fitted in my works van it monitors your own driving as well as events caused by others. It also records you talking to yourself!! I do not bother with my bike one. The novelty has worn off. They look stupid on top of your noggin, create wind noise and could convict your mate and yourself if you are daft enough to record your excessive speed.

Sad about the biker who lost his life. I also think the sentencing appears harsh.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Return to “Boxerbanter”